PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I finally got some time tonight to start on turning a $3.00 Value Village spice rack into a pipe rack.

So lets get started :P
This is the two tier spice rack I picked up at Value Village the other day. As soon as I saw it on the shelves I knew it was going to be my project pipe rack.

So first thing was to tear it all apart. 4 small nails held each tier onto the stand. No problem to get those out.

Next was to take the top tier and bore holes through with a hole saw.

Then flip it over and fit it back on to the tower to see how high it would need to be. I wanted to be able to support my shortest pipe yet also be able to slip my newly acquired Cobbit into the stand.

So I came up with the measurement and out to the garage to cut the tower off.

So the semi finished stand still needs some sanding in the holes, everything glued and screwed back together, some kind of rubber or felt where the pipe sits at the bottom and some kind of finish rubbed on.

So this is what I got so far...................
Mark

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done! You have a great little pipe rack for a couple bucks and a little effort. Very nice. :puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Very nice. There's even a handy place for pipe cleaners or whatever else in the center.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's the kind of thing that inspires me. I love to see ingenuity utilized to recycle and re-purpose stuff that might otherwise hit the trash pile or go unused. Nice job! Great eye!

Which model cobbit is that? Is that the stem it came with?

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

The centre section is too small for any of the jars I have so it will house the pipe cleaners and the small tube of toothpaste I keep for polishing the stems.

My Dad is retired so if he is not too busy :roll: I may take the pieces to him and have him do the finishing touches. He likes that sort of puttering around with wood and it will keep him out of Mom's hair for a while lol.
Newbroom that is the Shire Cobbit and that is the stem it came with. It feels like some sort of plastic to me.

The bowl is physically bigger than I thought by looking at the pictures and I had a great first smoke in it last night with some 1Q.
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks again for the kind words.

I talked to my Dad today (actually, I try to talk to him and Mom every day)and he will do the finishing when this heat wave dies down and he can work in the garage again.
Mark

macfeegle

Lurker
Jul 23, 2015
Great bit of adapting there, can't wait to find something similar myself. Much more enjoyable to make or repurpose as much equipment as you can yourself.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks again, you guys are too kind !!!! :worship:
The only other thing I did with it so far was to drill a hole in between pipe 8 and 1 for my tamper to hang in. I may try and whittle out a spot for my Zippo too.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.