PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I purchased a Peterson p-lip system pipe from eBay that I plan to restore. The bowl is in decent shape, but the mouthpiece is beyond hope. I have searched Google and different forums in vain for a supplier of replacement stems. The references I have found are either 'not found" or the supplier shows that stem as "no longer available". Can anyone help?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The Peterson factory will make a new properly fitted stem for you. From what I understand its not cheap and its not quick :(

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, from my understanding SP's was going to send mine over to Peterson and they told me it would be about $80 to get the stem replaced. I quickly decided that was not what I wanted to do. Thought about looking for one on the bay for cheap with a still decent stem, but I don't know what that'll look like.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Nobody sells those anymore. Maybe Peterson has quite supplying them so they can the business for themselves. Sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a crap p-lip on eBay and cannibalize the stem.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
If it is no longer possible to buy a replacement Stem for a Peterson p-lip, has anyone found an aftermarket stem that will work? It has a tapered fit so I would think that if you found a stem with the proper diameter it should be possible to sand it down to fit. My problem is that I like the p-lip.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How badly shred is it? Photos would be helpful; at the least, interesting.
It may be that you could repair the damage, with a bit of guidance, or send it to one of the expert repairers here on the board.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I believe the issue is that the new stem has to be fitted to the specific pipe, which makes it labour intensive, which in turn, makes it expensive.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I believe the issue is that the new stem has to be fitted to the specific pipe, which makes it labour intensive, which in turn, makes it expensive.
Yep. I was told when I contacted SP's about mine that they used to have the Plip replacement stems in stock, but they ran into more headaches than what it was worth due to exactly what you said here, bass. They had too many issues with them not fitting many different Peterson system pipes that they decided it wasn't worth it any longer, from my understanding.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Howard Schulte in Florida was the authorized Peterson repair facility in the US. I haven't spoken with him in about 2 yrs, so hope he is still alive and kicking. He was getting up in years. He made several Peterson stems for me, and I was pleased with the work and the price.

Mike

Jun 9, 2018
England
I had an extra 9mm stem made for my amber spigot, I had to send Peterson the bowl so they could tailor make the stem and IIRC it took a couple of weeks door to door and cost about £80+P&P so wasn't exactly cheap but the service I received was top notch and I was made up with the result.
Chris

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My luck with Peterson wasn't stellar. I have a 337S Premier that I sent to Sallynoggin specifying that I wanted a new stem made because the original was far too tight. Instead, they enlarged the threads and put on a new chimney with a larger orifice. Well, in terms of smoking, it worked fine, but this is an exceptionally fine Pete -- one that's in the Mark Irwin book to be released in May. I wanted the original stem and chimney to stay intact. Now, if they had told me it was too difficult to make a new stem, I might've approved the alteration, but they didn't ask. To their credit, they charged me nothing for that. I just wish they'd asked. I urge you to post the photos that George requested. If he's willing and able to offer his assistance, jump on it. His work is second to none from all I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.