PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was a kid, I'd ride the commuter train with my dad to his work place in the city on holidays, and we'd ride in the smoking car so he could smoke his pipe and we'd read the newspaper. The cars were pre-World-War-II with velvet like upholstery and dark wood trim, very 1930's. There would usually be a smokey card game going on in one of the four-place seating areas, and before a.c., the windows slid open. Does anyone remember the days of smoking cars? I think I probably got the equivalent of a small cigar of nicotine just riding along in that earlier time. Nostalgia. My trips to his office were one of the treats of the winter holidays, and I'd take adventures around the big office building and down to the newsstand, and lunch was a big deal in a downtown restaurant, sometimes Berghoff's, a German place with gruff middle-aged male waiters and white tablecloths.

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I was a kid, I'd ride the commuter train with my dad to his work place in the city on holidays, and we'd ride in the smoking car so he could smoke his pipe and we'd read the newspaper. The cars were pre-World-War-II with velvet like upholstery and dark wood trim, very 1930's. There would usually be a smokey card game going on in one of the four-place seating areas, and before a.c., the windows slid open. Does anyone remember the days of smoking cars? I think I probably got the equivalent of a small cigar of nicotine just riding along in that earlier time. Nostalgia. My trips to his office were one of the treats of the winter holidays, and I'd take adventures around the big office building and down to the newsstand, and lunch was a big deal in a downtown restaurant, sometimes Berghoff's, a German place with gruff middle-aged male waiters and white tablecloths.
Sounds amazing! I wish I could have experienced that ????

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sure do!?

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No I don't Tom, but I do remember smoking sections in McDonalds. Seems totally bizarre now, but as a kid it was just part of the experience.
At McDonald's!!?? Gotta love it!!? ?? I wish I could have experienced that. The only smoking I had around me was my uncle Hugo's gambling nights at his house with his buddies.. that's where I learned to smoke, play poker and blackjack and drink whiskey..oh, and also riding in his car and him smoking with my cousin's and I in it ????

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
McDonald's had smoking into the late '90s.
View attachment 120423
Whoa you had some fancy McDonalds down south.

We had these:

s-l1600.jpg