PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry, there's a little bit of age discrimination in this thread, but how many members are of an age, and remembering actually riding in a smoking car on the train? My family used the Chicago and Northwestern railroad commuter line to get to and from downtown Chicago, and for many years, until the sixties probably, a smoking car was standard on the commuter runs. I even remember the old cars with velvet like upholstery and wood trim. Most of the riders read the newspaper as they smoked, but others had ongoing card games that went on for years. Cigarettes were standard; cigars not uncommon; and pipes were always represented. You could track styles of pipes over time. I remember the craze for Meerschaum lined leather wrapped pipes, often in the apple shape. It is something to remember while there are those who can.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I remember smoking on planes for long haul flights but no pipes or cigars were allowed. In fact I remember a flight from NYC to London Heathrow circa 1987 were I was sitting next to a lovely priest who smoked Lucky Strikes. We went through a patch of turbulence and one of the Irish sisters asked him 'Father cannot you do something?'. He smiled and replied that he was only retail and that they needed to speak with head office! I remember smoking Belomorkanal Cigarettes on an Aeroflot flight in the very early 1990s as well. You could still smoke on the London Underground until maybe 1986/87 and on British Rail well into the mid 1990s. When I arrived in NYC in 95 you could still smoke in the office, bars and restaurants until Bloomberg turned NYC into a messed up version of Disney world.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Sorry, there's a little bit of age discrimination in this thread, but how many members are of an age, and remembering actually riding in a smoking car on the train? My family used the Chicago and Northwestern railroad commuter line to get to and from downtown Chicago, and for many years, until the sixties probably, a smoking car was standard on the commuter runs. I even remember the old cars with velvet like upholstery and wood trim. Most of the riders read the newspaper as they smoked, but others had ongoing card games that went on for years. Cigarettes were standard; cigars not uncommon; and pipes were always represented. You could track styles of pipes over time. I remember the craze for Meerschaum lined leather wrapped pipes, often in the apple shape. It is something to remember while there are those who can.
Very nostalgic! I remember going into those smoking cars and almost being asphyxiated. I
couldn't believe that to smoke you had to tolerate such volume of secondhand smoke and that smokers regularly did so.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I think London Underground had smoking cars until about 1984. Certainly I remember as a student travelling in the smoking cars to get a seat (I didn't smoke in those days). If I recall correctly in those days there were two smoking cars per train; in earlier years it had been two non-smoking cars per train.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think London Underground had smoking cars until about 1984. Certainly I remember as a student travelling in the smoking cars to get a seat (I didn't smoke in those days). If I recall correctly in those days there were two smoking cars per train; in earlier years it had been two non-smoking cars per train.
They got rid of the smoking cars on the London Underground after the Kings Cross fire if I remember correctly!

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, in Sydney an 8 carriage train (called Red Rattlers) would have 2 carriages dedicated as smoking cars well into the 70s and 80s (I remember lots of Falcon pipes for some reason). Planes yes also. In Japan the bullet trains still had smoking cars in the late 80s and into the early 90s.

Reactions: ak2000 and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.