PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I usually use a BIC lighter but I recently got a Zippo pipe lighter. The Zippo was a game-changer. I guess its because the flame is right there and you just have to puff. I do taste the lighter fluid sometimes but its ok, it goes away on the next puff. It doesn't really take away from the experience. It is just so much easier with the Zippo.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've said this before, but I positively love my IM Corona Pipemaster. I was a matches only guy until about six months ago, when I finally got tired of chasing down good matches (god I miss the strike anywhere Swan Vestas) and relented to purchase a butane lighter. Best purchase I've made in a long time, I heartily recommend the Pipemaster to all.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Paul, though I did say that in jest I have actually tried it. Problem is it's hard to see the end of the flame so not to be recommended. I stick to angled regular gas lighters though they only last a couple of months afore they refuse to 'click' any more. Made in China I suspect :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Ok folks, tried to buy some Tsubota pearl brand old boy style lighter through qg tobacco england-but it was unsucessfully-so I went online on Ebay and bought me some two chinese Jifeng lighters and two pipes through smokingpipes com which set me back more than $100 this weekend, now I should stop throwing my money on tobacco items,but sometimes weekend come I do feel a bit weird,,may I wish y'all a nice start of the week ahead, Paul

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I've gone through several 45 and 90 degree lighters, and I should have paid disposable prices because they all stopped working after awhile. Usually it was the spring which triggered the electronic ignition, or the jet clogged.
My Zippo Pipe, on the other hand, has been nothing but reliable, and it is also the best solution for keeping the char off my rims. Even with a higher flame, outdoors in the wind, that horizontal ring (you turn it horizontal to light your bowl) keeps the flame above your rim until you suck it down, where it cannot touch anything other than the tobacco in your pipe (unless you move it off-center or allow that ring to contact your rim). It's also powered by naphta fuel, which I think burns cooler than butane.

Reactions: Usman

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
My Colibri Connaught, which actually rose in retail price to nearly $200 since I purchased mine, lost the spring tension in the switch inside of two years. I also had a Colibri cigar torch with a similar problem. Therefore, screw Colibri!
Besides reliablility issues, the problem with any angled lighter is that the flame is going to do its best to jump over your bowl rim anyway. The Zippo solution requires a little more effort, but I find it's worth it because it's easier to contain the flame when it's always either straight up, or down on your tobacco, exactly where you want it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"My Colibri Connaught, which actually rose in retail price to nearly $200 since I purchased mine, lost the spring tension in the switch inside of two years. I also had a Colibri cigar torch with a similar problem."
Just think how many of those refillable angled lighters you could have bought instead. Yes they only last a few months afore the 'clicker' fails but you would still be on top.
I've just bought another five of them via Amazon and at £5.20 I still regard them a good deal. No doubt they would be cheaper still in the States, everything else seems to be :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jep.Our european inflated taxes and duties almost on everything is gonna kill me,and it is getting worse,espesially in England and Scandinavian countries, perhaps better to move into States ? Well,as for lighters I just went online and bought me some chinese jifeng and Yibao old boy type lighters, cuz I'm pretty much ruined economically after my recent pipe and tobacco acquisitions,yet I have to keep my ol'gaz guzzler running $$$

Jun 27, 2016
One thing that happens with the Connaughts when the return spring starts acting up/not always working is that the whole black piezo device eventually moves down out of place and gets pressed too far down in the white plastic "holder cage" surrounding it (there is a void underneath), and the external cam can't press the piezo plunger down far enough to fire the internal return spring. You can open it up and put a block of balsa under the whole black piezo device to raise it back up and keep it from dropping down again. If the wire or any other part of the piezo device is actually bad, then you have to replace the piezo. Or, why I don't mess around with piezo. I fixed mine with the balsa, and it lights two out of three times on average, but I don't use it regularly anymore because there is nothing wrong with flint and steel.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I use a JetLiner. It wasn't expensive, and it works well. It also has a modified 3 tool pipe tool built into the body. I'll continue to use it until it dies, then I'll buy another.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
I used the cheap "sidekick" pipe lighter, until it ran out. Recently refilled it and, although it only lights every other time, it's better than nothing.

sidekick_lighters_big.jpg

Will eventually buy a Zippo, because I only smoke outside and it's better to light once properly than torch the bowl repeatedly.

Does anyone have use hunters' matches or anything similar for smoking outside? They are meant to stay lit, but in order to do so they must be soaked in God-knows-what...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No need to torch the bowl regardless of lighter type and temperature of the flame. Just hold the right distance away and draw the flame to the tobacco by repeated short breath intakes. The super heated air is what ignites the tobacco, ideally, not the flame nor even the tip of the flame.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
Just a plain old lighter for me. There was a day years ago when I enjoyed a Calibri Pen Lighter (I loved that thing) but I don't have to relight as much as I used to. Probably because of better tobacco and better smoking technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.