PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke all of my Virginia flakes with a bit of moisture and I fold and stuff them. Other than a red Virginia, I can smoke all the rest and no burn. I always check the draw and make sure there is some resistance before I light up. For my tastes anything too dry burns hot and loses flavors.

I smoke the following SG flakes , Best Brown, Golden Glow,Full Virginia and St James. Never a bite from any of them. The one SG that burns my tongue off is Cabbies Mixture. It is the first SG with red Virginia I have ever smoked. Luckily I can sell it as it is a popular blend.
All of my Vapers and Vabur/Kentucky/Burley blends smoke with no bite at all. I also make damn sure there are no reds in them.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I smoke all of my Virginia flakes with a bit of moisture and I fold and stuff them. Other than a red Virginia, I can smoke all the rest and no burn. I always check the draw and make sure there is some resistance before I light up. For my tastes anything too dry burns hot and loses flavors.

I smoke the following SG flakes , Best Brown, Golden Glow,Full Virginia and St James. Never a bite from any of them. The one SG that burns my tongue off is Cabbies Mixture. It is the first SG with red Virginia I have ever smoked. Luckily I can sell it as it is a popular blend.
All of my Vapers and Vabur/Kentucky/Burley blends smoke with no bite at all. I also make damn sure there are no reds in them.
Best brown/FVF and St James have red VA

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes, I used their Yorktown blend in my example; but, what is the ladder you are referring to when you say "it's near the lowest rung" - the lowest rung of what ?

You're terribly cryptic and abstruse lately, my friend. - Sherm Natman
Hah they are lowest rung of quality.

mans regarding my previous post google the term “OK Boomer” ?

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Russ once posted on here, the differences in PH between a Virginia and a burley is like 1 PH point.
I don't know who Russ is or how important and authoritative he is but he's full of bologna.

High protein in air cured tobacco makes it release ammonia and become more basic as it burns.

Glucose burns and becomes formic acid. So same thing.

Dry distillation in a pipe actually makes it worse.

Screenshot_20200907-031909~2.png

I don't know who Russ is or how important and authoritative he is but he's full of bologna.
Russ was our resident tobacconist, blender for Hearth and Home, and does all sorts of partnering with other big names in the tobacco biz. Before I went and labelled him as bologna-ish, I would first say that I was paraphrasing... and before I took it any further, I could just be remembering incorrectly. I'd have to go back and reread his posts (and I would want to understand better what this graph is measuring) before I definitively said one way or another.
But, that scale includes cigarillos and... and if we were just rating the actual cased tobaccos used mostly in pipe tobaccos right out of the tin, instead of just reading raw leaf air cured... maybe I am remembering more correctly, and the graph is measuring tobaccos more outside of mainstream tobaccos found in tins. I am just speculating. You may very well be correct.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
and I would want to understand better what this graph is measuring
Didn't mean to smash an icon. How dare I.

The leaf itself may very well have a pH difference of 1 point. How it was measured, I don't know. Did they soak it, did they powder it and soak it, did they measure the pH of the surface by sticking a strip into the jar?

This chart is the measure of the smoke pH, which is actually the part that matters, unless if you're chewing.

But as an aside, chewing VA has a noticeably sour pH which is nice.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I seem to have developed some kind of sensitivity to some virginias.
FVF in particular used to just pleasantly tingle my tongue, but that tingling has grown to an irritation in most of the mouth, quite similar to the effect of eating too much pineapple.

Suck it up, that's the sign it's just about to get really, really good.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Is this with FVF that you've had cellared for awhile or is this from the last drop? People I've been chatting with are saying blends were different with the last drop and that one of those blends mentioned was FVF.

Since K&K started altering blends to sub out pricier leaf used with some of the HU and Rattray's blends it seems like other blenders may be doing the same. Most smokers won't notice the difference. But some of these boys, who have been smoking these blends for decades, are beginning to look at the latest arrivals and have been saying, "WTF?"
The jar I am smoking from is labelled August 2019, so it is fair to assume the tobacco is produced sometime in early 2019.

Didn't mean to smash an icon. How dare I.

The leaf itself may very well have a pH difference of 1 point. How it was measured, I don't know. Did they soak it, did they powder it and soak it, did they measure the pH of the surface by sticking a strip into the jar?

This chart is the measure of the smoke pH, which is actually the part that matters, unless if you're chewing.

But as an aside, chewing VA has a noticeably sour pH which is nice.
Ha ha, well, I will forgo using the " like 1PH point" quote any more... unless I just need some hyperbole for emphasis, ha ha.

But, there are more things to consider, such as If what Jeremy posted the other day about straight Virginia blends having burley in them... and then there is casing to consider... and there may be a difference if we are including all tobaccos smoked, or just what is mostly commercially available in the tins.... then there is the effect of the casing on the ph... etc... etc...
Was Russ talking about just the leaf itself, or the blends he makes with the leaf, including whatever sauces he adds? With so many variables it could be that Russ was talking about apples, and the graph depicts oranges. I don't know.

But, regardless... I think the OP is more concerned with why he is getting tongue bite now, when he wasn't before. And, that's my final offer, not a single digit over that PH. No sir-ee. puffy

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
If what Jeremy posted the other day about straight Virginia blends having burley in them...
I haven't read that post, but I have wondered that too, if I get what he was asking. I think much of the this VA burns, but that red-VA doesn't may be because when some manufacturers call something a VA, it's a general term which doesn't rule out blending, but as soon as they say red VA, it becomes much more specific and confined to a simpler formula.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just smoked a bowl of Janus. It has bright Va in it. When I smoked it as flake folded and stuffed, didn't notice any issues. Today, I fully rubbed out. It started nicely enough, the slight tingle on the tongue. That lead to little bit spots. I noticed the same thing with Fillmore before, but didn't pay attention. Didn't notice any of this from other Va blends before.

Compared to... what ?

What is this 'Boomer' thing?

Your posts, of late, upon reading, leave me utterly flummoxed - Sherm Natman
Boomer go shnizzle fo’ snizzle, bro... kiki woo woo. Ratchet slay tea. Skrt, damn gina. Your woke mood is so bye felicia.
That’s all the millennial-ese I know. And, I’m not sure what any of it means. puffy

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Boomer go shnizzle fo’ snizzle, bro... kiki woo woo. Ratchet slay tea. Skrt, damn gina. Your woke mood is so bye felicia.
That’s all the millennial-ese I know. And, I’m not sure what any of it means. puffy
"Millennian-ese?

I assure you I don't speak it at all; and, I would suggest to all those who do engage in such gibberish, to consider themselves on notice that they are not to occupy - or, remove themselves post-haste from - the area of mown grass in the area pf property which is immediately in front of my house. :LOL: - Sherm Natman