PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I was going to ask this same question, but googled dark fired aromatic on SP. Anything with Kentucky should be at least a medium nic. I’ve gone back to aros lately, but the Cavendish based ones I have are just too low nic for me, although tasty…

Up came; St Bruno, Peterson Irish flake and war horse. I’ve ordered the Bruno and will move on to the Peterson if it’s not my cup of tea…

I’ve also started to get a tad tired of English too, although I still like them and the smell.

Reactions: RonB

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
These all sound like great recommendations, thanks all! I love being part of the piper community. Although I don't have anything against others forms of tobacco, I think pipes truly have some of the widest variety in terms of choices and some of the most knowledgeable patrons out there. Thanks everyone!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Peterson University Flake/Rattray's Wallace Flake
HU Makhuwa
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
Gawith Hoggarth New Prince
LJ Peretti Cuban Mixture
Gawith Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake
Comoy's Cask No.2 Portwood

Given that you like Latakia I would also reccomend some English/aro crossovers, particularly Sillem's Black

Reactions: RonB

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Hello,

I normally smoke English blends, but lately I have had a craving for some lightly flavored blends that still retain a true tobacco flavor. I am also looking for something with a higher level of nicotine. I enjoy both the taste of tobacco and the soothing effects of a good dose of nicotine. I know some may feel differently but that's just my preference.

Thanks!
Oh my. This is the first question I've seen I familiar enough with the subject to try answering ??? (Ty)

I Firmly believe Flavored tobaccos are every bit as worthy as any English when done correctly and possibly more difficult to make let alone locate. I enjoy them myself frequently but as an example I found my favorite English blends in a few days it's been 9 months and a disturbing amount of blend sampling and I'm still looking for my perfect Aero ?‍♂️
But....
Before you can really get much for recommendations or will find the one you like you need to ask yourself.
What kind of tobacco your hoping for and what kind of Flavoring?
Light crisp Virginia dark smokey English so on and so forth then pick general flavoring profile like citrus vanilla dark or summer fruit liquor anise? LOTS of flavored tobaccos with tobacco that still shines on the market but it's such a huge huge huge difference from a Creamy English vanilla and a Fruity cased Virginia. Any real suggestions without first answering those two questions will be nothing buts W.A.Gs based on very individual personal preference ?‍♂️

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
I'm going to second all of the University Flake and St Bruno recommendations, both delicious tobaccos with tasty toppings to boot. A few I haven't seen yet would be Hearth & Home's Anniversary Kake and Classic Burley Kake, the latter having the heavier of the two toppings.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I highly recommend Heine's Blend. Comes in the big white and blue 14 oz. plastic tubs. Basically a burley-based, all day, codger blend with just the right amount chocolate and nut topping to accentuate the natural burley flavor. I'm not really into aromatic blends: and while some would categorize it as such, it tastes like tobacco and isn't cloying. Regarding nicotine, I'd say it ranges below the medium mark (for me), but that should be fine if you want to smoke it all day.

Jun 25, 2021
England
St Bruno.
Listed as an aromatic, but I would hardly call it that, almost no complex flavours, a bit lightweight.
As plus points, I would say, it lights well, burns well, and is easy going.
Hardly any nicotine strength though and definitely not a late night smoke IMO.

Reactions: Reggie

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Crooner is my favorite flavored tobacco. It is flavored in large part, I believe, by actual dried leaves of deertongue--not an essence. This gives a slightly different quality to the smoke, which I like. And it is truly flavored--not just scented--by the deertongue. At the same time you can taste the tobaccos--a blend of burleys. Nicotine hit is nice and clean in the burley way.

• Love
Reactions: sandollars

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you enjoy burley and OTC blends, Mixture No. 79, with anisette, and Granger with molasses might fill the bill. Because Granger is Kentucky rough cut, it is often identified as non-aromatic, but molasses is definitely in the mix. To my taste, SWR Aromatic does a good job, burley based with Virginia as a condiment, flavored with three liqueurs; some don't like it, but many do. There are many burley blends with whiskey flavoring, to different degrees, PS2 for one example, and Erin Go Bragh as another.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Those are all great recommendations, and I’ll add GL Pease Windjammer. It’s got some oomph to it. The tobacco flavor never gets lost, but the rum topping is consistent throughout, but lightly applied.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Hello,

I normally smoke English blends, but lately I have had a craving for some lightly flavored blends that still retain a true tobacco flavor. I am also looking for something with a higher level of nicotine. I enjoy both the taste of tobacco and the soothing effects of a good dose of nicotine. I know some may feel differently but that's just my preference.

Thanks!
GL Pease Haddo's Delight has been my go-to for exactly this for twenty years. It's fairly strong, the flavoring is noticeable but not overwhelming, and it also ages really nicely.