PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
CAO Italia. Robusto. Smokes like a Cuban Cohiba I had smoked a few yeahs ago. Very, very good.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
How much you want to spend on your cigar. The first that pops to mind to me was exactly what you had in mind - an Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic Maduro. Alternately the Short story is a sublime smoke that hits the spot, terric draw and is finger burner. Many will champion the Short Story the best in the Hemingway line.
If you don't mind a few extra bucks, my favorite stick of all is probably a Padron 64 Anniversary, around $20 plus a stick. Perfectly made, perfectly balanced and never had a bad one. I like them better than the fabled Opus X, mostly because they are more consistent. Had more than one Opus blow up on me and that sucks when the stick approaches $30 or more.
Bottom line:
  • Any Padron in the Thousand series is a very good cigar for the money and reasonably priced.[/*]
  • The AF Hemingway Classics are classic, the short story has to be tried. [/*]
  • One or the other, go with the Short Story.[/*]
  • The Padron 64 is a dream cigar that I get for celebrations when I don't want to chance disappointment.[/*]

Hope this helps.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Gran Habano Corojo Vintage 2002! Great affordable stick that was recently recommended to me. I recently purchased a Gran Habano sampler for $25 that came with 2 each of 5 Gran Habano blends, a good inexpensive way to get a few different sticks on hand to try. So far I I've smoked the Vintage 2002 and the 3SLS which have both been awesome in my opinion. As far a keeping them, +1 on the Tupperware or even a zip-lock bag and buy one of those humidipak/boveda things for $1 and throw it in with the stogies. If you want to take it a step further ask your local shop if they have any Spanish cedar liners that they pull out of boxes of cigars and they will likely give you a couple for free then you can throw those in the Tupperware also. Good luck!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Padron 1964
Agreed- this is my favorite cigar when I want something special. Too expensive for me to smoke everyday. Also like the Ashton VSG's, kind of pricey as well. My everyday, go to as of late is the Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra in the torpedo shape-- Fantastic stick. I bought a box of 100 for $338 a while back & worth every penny.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Carlos Toraño Exodus 1959 -- preferably the box-pressed toro.
And, if there's a Total Wine store in your neck of the woods, they have a double corona maduro specially made for them by Quintero that will give you an hour and a half of pure cigar heaven. Can't get it anywhere else.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just smoked a Liga Privada UF-13 Dark. A really full bodied cigar. Changed a lot from start to finish, which I like in a cigar. Started off spicy, then mellowed with cocoa notes, then got spicy savory again. I can see myself buying more of these.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
+1 to Rocky Patels. Their 1990 and 1992 ranges are two of my favorite cigars, and the Edge Sumatra and newer Edge Nicaraguan are great values. Perdomo, however, is the best bang for the buck I've found. Their Lot 23 line is magnificent and can be found for around $6 for a torpedo (my favorite shape). It's a great brand that's often overlooked.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Carlos Toraño Exodus 1959
Yes!! One of my favorites!!

The Exodus Silver is also good.
Another is his "Signature Collection" which has a delicious Sungrown Brazilian Maduro wrapper.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well being that taste is subject and depending on if you like mild, medium or full bodied cigars, there are so many good ones to choose from. Hare are a couple I would recommend.
Mild - 5 Vegas Gold or Rocky Patel Connecticut (both great in the morning with a cup of coffee)

Medium - Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real (one of my favorite all time cigars)

Full - AJ Fernandez Puro Authentico (it doesn't look like much, but it packs a punch)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
On the Padron tip, the '64 maduro exclusivo is my favorite, and will not break your bank at $11 a stick. Also, lasts a good 1.5 hours, depending on your puffing frequency. That would be my "island" cigar of choice. As has been said, the thousands line is a fantastic choice and the best bang for your buck. Had a 4000 maduro churchill gifted to me by my buddies at my local b&m recently, and it was superb.
Any of the Undercrowns, great value and usually can get 5 packs for $5 to $6 bucks per stick on cigar monster. My favorite is the corona doble. They also do not require the forfeiture of your firstborn child and wallet, as many of the liga privada line does.
Also, any of the My Father line by Pepin Garcia are winners, but a couple of my absolute favorites are the flor de las antillas toro and belicoso (went through a box of the toros way too quickly), or the el centurion, which is a VERY underrated offering in the lineup, also would recommend toro or belicoso.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Just got a box of Drew Estate Undercrown corona doble from CI at 40% off plus 15 cigar bonus for extra $10. Total was $148.90 with shipping. That's forty Drew Estate cigars for $3.72 each. Good deal right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.