PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Mainly posting so when I order next time I have some reviews to look up. Newer to English but craving stronger and stronger types. So far, probably weak to others especially because it's not punching me like it first did, C&D Rajah's Court. "The original oriental," and cheaper bulk, great for the price, Sutliff English oriental.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Escudo, St.James' Flake etc.. Haddo's Delight all good "spicy" options.

But it's interesting to see this kind of thread as it shows the varying perception of 'spice'.

Personally, I like the spice you get from Turkish or other Orientals. Those containing something like Yenidje or Ismir being what i'd call spiced.

I get a nice spice in Red Rapparee that I'd liken to clove. Which is also a taste that's present in the Bosun plug from G&H.

For the more 'baking spice' like cinnamon or mace, they're often found in maltier/sweeter/milder blends (like ODF, Dark Twist, or various navy flakes).

I really enjoy the type of spice you get off a nice strong spicy cigar. Maybe give Key Largo, Lewis 123 or G.L Pease's Robusto a try if that's what you're after. All of them have cigar leaf blended in.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Escudo, St.James' Flake etc.. Haddo's Delight all good "spicy" options.

But it's interesting to see this kind of thread as it shows the varying perception of 'spice'.

Personally, I like the spice you get from Turkish or other Orientals. Those containing something like Yenidje or Ismir being what i'd call spiced.

I get a nice spice in Red Rapparee that I'd liken to clove. Which is also a taste that's present in the Bosun plug from G&H.

For the more 'baking spice' like cinnamon or mace, they're often found in maltier/sweeter/milder blends (like ODF, Dark Twist, or various navy flakes).

I really enjoy the type of spice you get off a nice strong spicy cigar. Maybe give Key Largo, Lewis 123 or G.L Pease's Robusto a try if that's what you're after. All of them have cigar leaf blended in.
I also like the spice you get from Orientals. if you combine that with perique you get C&D Oriental Silk which I enjoy and is well spicy IMO.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
For perique- if you can get your hands on any, Russ Oellette's RO Perique Blends are full of that kind of spice. A bit dialed back from there but still periquey are Bayou Morning, Kajun Kake, and Bayou Night.

I get quite a forward oriental spice from the Izmir in Embarcadero.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Samuel Gawith Saint James Flake for me was far too peppery; I like fruity when I'm smoking Perique. You might try there.

I'd also recommend Mac Baren's Dark Twist or Stockton, especially the latter, though it can be hard to find. There's a subtle spiciness to me.

Reactions: Charlie718

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Samuel Gawith Saint James Flake for me was far too peppery; I like fruity when I'm smoking Perique. You might try there.

I'd also recommend Mac Baren's Dark Twist or Stockton, especially the latter, though it can be hard to find. There's a subtle spiciness to me.
If I can ever manage to find Sam Gawith in stock I would love to try some saint james.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.