PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I've wanted to try Iwan's Virginia Flake for some time. I forgot to add it last time I ordered from them. I'm interested to know what you think of it when you get around to smoking some.
I did get a smoke in. I'm not too nuanced on Virginias thus far. I've smoked pipes on and off again, Escudo is one tobacco that has always smoked well for me and always been tasty. That being said, there is a distinguishable Fig Newton smell to it. Just letting it sit out 20-30 mins before hand was pleasant. I did get some dried fruit of sorts and bread. Also some citrus tang to it, which I suppose is expected for a Virginia. Even more so, there seemed to be a pastry kind of taste, more like a fig nutri-grain bar. It had some subtle vanilla and honey sweetness and remained sweet to me throughout. Interestingly enough, I feel I was almost getting a tropical fruit at times, even a sweet gum taste like how people described Erinmore. I never get that from Erinmore and it wasn't constant. Also of note, there was one time in particular where I seemed to get a particularly strong cinnamon note that disappeared. I've some 507C a few times and I think this is better. A little sweeter and a little more complex, IMHO.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I did get a smoke in. I'm not too nuanced on Virginias thus far. I've smoked pipes on and off again, Escudo is one tobacco that has always smoked well for me and always been tasty. That being said, there is a distinguishable Fig Newton smell to it. Just letting it sit out 20-30 mins before hand was pleasant. I did get some dried fruit of sorts and bread. Also some citrus tang to it, which I suppose is expected for a Virginia. Even more so, there seemed to be a pastry kind of taste, more like a fig nutri-grain bar. It had some subtle vanilla and honey sweetness and remained sweet to me throughout. Interestingly enough, I feel I was almost getting a tropical fruit at times, even a sweet gum taste like how people described Erinmore. I never get that from Erinmore and it wasn't constant. Also of note, there was one time in particular where I seemed to get a particularly strong cinnamon note that disappeared. I've some 507C a few times and I think this is better. A little sweeter and a little more complex, IMHO.
Great review. I am definitely going to get some on my next order. I used to smoke Erinmore exclusively decades ago before they changed the blend. I know this is not the same but it may serve as a good substitute.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Arrived yesterday...

This is the biggest haul I’ve ever done, and the first time to do it for the free shipping from SPC, is why I went for it.

To be honest, if shipping rates weren’t so ridiculous I wouldn’t of bought all these for now, I would of bought only the three Rattray’s.

I might not of actually ever bought the Warped or Mac Baren, blends I wanted were out, so I literally spent like a few hours looking and thinking... LOL 😆

P.S. The Mac Baren is dated October 2021.... wooo I’ll keep it sealed till October this year or wait, at least I didn’t pay $70 for it. LOL 😆

FF9ABF08-2BC3-448F-B2B1-1ABCDCA898B0.jpeg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Have to love getting a USPS delivery on Sunday. A bunch of mostly new-to-me blends for the cellar. That should do it for this year other than Birds of a Feather, any Germains drops, select aged treasures, and...oh hell, who am I kidding....View attachment 202158
I just tried a tin of that Scottish flake and love it! Ordered 10 more 😂 Also the Mallard Perique is great!

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Great review. I am definitely going to get some on my next order. I used to smoke Erinmore exclusively decades ago before they changed the blend. I know this is not the same but it may serve as a good substitute.
So I've smoked 4 bowls of this so far. Some were just half now, half later. All out of a bent stem MM Legend, twice rubbed out and twice fold and stuff. Interestingly enough, this review was based on fold and stuff and the 2 following bowls were rubbed out and lacking something. So I repeated the process of the first bowl and voila!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
LOL

To be fair, obviously someone selling off their stash and have a friend looking to get back into pipes, so most of that is going to him, I just took about 20 tins that i wanted, CRF and a few other things, he's getting an instant cellar and instant pipe collection including a sweet 1967 Dunhill Canadian that is in amazing shape and crisp stamping which shocked me. He even through in 31 jars of stuff that came out to over 5lbs in that alone lol

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
This is Nov-Jan. I missed quite a bit. Got 2 lbs of Folklore which I like a lot so relieved. Some ordained. Wessex Burley Slices, A dozen Peterson EMP and others. Went overboard but … well yeah. I shouldn’t have. But it’s been fun organizing it all.

View attachment 201673View attachment 201674
Quick question. Do you leave the SG in the frozen food dish, or transfer to jar/mylar immediately? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.