PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I too attain those moments of delight in a tasty bowl with regularity. I sometimes feel bursting with pleasure.
Those morning smokes I have while walking through the neighborhood each day, are often some of the best.
I've sometimes felt like the post'person', through rain, and cold, but, even then, I guess it's fresh taste buds?
I can't say that the flavor I derive drops off later, though.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
A bowl of the new Sav 145 in my cheapest basket pipe while hanging with my brother and kicking around my yard. It smoked for a long time with no real thought given to it. It burned so cool I was able to just about keep my finger on the ash and keep the ember on the tobac the whole time. Every sip I got a small wisp of smoke and a ton of flavor. It smoked like that until the bowl was kicked.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I had a bowl that stood out more than usual a couple of days ago. It was a simple blend of Red Virginia leaf, Bright Virginia leaf, and a smaller amount of burley. I made this one up when I first started blending my own, and I got the sweetness from the Virginias that was just amazing. I even thought to myself that, this probably won't be repeatable, and I didn't rush to take the blend out and get another bowl or anything , I waited until after dinner last night and there it was again, so nice, so sweet, but tobacco sweet, like all of the sugars were present from the Virginias at once. I sat there and enjoyed this bowl for a good hour. I was in heaven, again!

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
What was your recipe? I have all of those components sitting here
It was around 45% Virginia 35% oriental and 20% perique. I say "around" because the actual percentages were slightly different 40/30/30. But I have my perique stored in very high case(as it arrives from WLT) and it looses about 1/3 weight if dried out to smokable case as the Virginia and orientals were. It's a strong,spicy and musty blend at first puff but settles down quickly into a nice sweet smoke. Many people might prefer a little less perique and possibly less orientals(maybe 65/20/15)but I've been experimenting with higher oriental ratios lately and like a good perique kick.

Moisten very well and press to plug overnight. Wrap in foil in morning or next day sometime after taking out of press and stove at 200°c for 4 hours and let cool in foil before opening.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
After seeing all the praise HH Pure Virginia received in this thread I decided to try it for the first time last night and it was good. I can only compare it to C&D Derringer and Peterson Flake and I’d say it was much sweeter then Peterson. To me Derringer was similar but not as good, I think I now know what reviewers mean when they say C&D can be less refined.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A couple of weeks ago I had a sublime bowl of F&T Special Brown Flake. Perfect moisture level, perfect pack, perfect smoke. I kept retrohaling as slowly as I could, then getting that slightly different whiff from sniffing the top of the bowl. It’s nice when everything clicks perfectly.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A couple of weeks ago I had a sublime bowl of F&T Special Brown Flake. Perfect moisture level, perfect pack, perfect smoke. I kept retrohaling as slowly as I could, then getting that slightly different whiff from sniffing the top of the bowl. It’s nice when everything clicks perfectly.

I have more than pleasantly surprised how much this blend improves with age.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Two days ago in Battersea Park with HH Virginia flake in a Tommaso Spanu Dublin. Was that sweet. It burned for an hour and a half, was it ever going to end ? I sure didn't want it to. I was in a really good mood after that. I kept going over in my mind. " Was that really just a pipe and some baccy ? " Wow

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have had many memorable smokes in my years but two stand out above the rest. The first was a sample of original release Stonehenge. Through a fortunate series of events I was sent this sample by Mr. Pease himself. The stars aligned and I was in awe by how delicious the blend was. It was a transcendent smoke if I’ve ever had one. The second was a particular bowl of McClelland Pebblecut. My wife and I were strolling our new baby through Grant Park in Atlanta. I should have been talking about our new bundle of joy. However, I could not stop talking about how mind blowing the tobacco was. I usually find that walking and smoking takes away from the experience. Not this time. As soon as we got home I ordered 10 more tins.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Not recent, but I remember the first time I smoked Christmas Cheer. I loaded up a Wiley panel and was instantly hooked. I can't even remember relighting I was so mesmerized. I was in a trance, lost all track of time and suddenly I'm sucking in ash. Next thing I know my cellar had 50 or 60 tins of Christmas Cheer. :oops:

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Two memorable smokes: one great, one unpleasant.

The good: tried my first VaPer and I'm in love (Hearth & Home's Viprati). To my palate, it alternated between deep, bright, and bloody-tasting. The Cabernet Sauvignon of tobacco, and totally intoxicating. Definitely a step up in quality from what I'm used to.

The bad: Tried my first English, and a Balkan at that (Balkan Supreme). I don't think Latakia (at least not this much of it) is for me right now. The taste was like a cross between an old argyle sweater and a library book.

Reactions: krizzose