PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
down with GMO

In the case of "GMO", the government/corporate complex protects and promotes it for the most part...that alone should give one pause (but all of the genetic splicing and dicing is the stuff nightmares are made of).

I'm all for choice. I vote with my dollars. If people don't mind ingesting GMO's that's fine with me...but I'll pass on it as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsmoker

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I built my cellar for a number of reasons. First was because I believed that some of my favorites would go the way of the dodo. That happened to Rotary Navy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold and I was stocked up. Second is because I like the flavors of aged tobacco and that is pretty much all I smoke nowadays.
My cellar cost me about 20-40% less in 2012 and 2013 than it would have at today's prices.

Lastly I believe that ordering pipe tobacco online is going to be stopped eventually. If I had to rely on a local B/M I would be screwed. My state(Florida) put an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco making in state prices a total joke.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am slowly developing what is effectively a cellar for me. It is not large but I smoke 2-3 bowls a week when the weather is good and next to none once winter really sets in. The supply I have exceeds the amount I smoke by a significant amount. My cellar has developed mostly related to cost. Living in Canada, I limit my local purchases of pipe tobacco. The bulk of my purchases are when my wife or I travel to the States. If it is both of us, we return with 14 oz. of tobacco, if one, 7 oz. This is supplemented with small bulk online purchases from the States and occasional local purchases. Even purchasing in this restrained fashion, my supply grows beyond my use.

What I purchase is based on what is available where I travel which varies widely. However, it is never a lot of any blend. The only blend I have 2 tins of is MM965 and I do have some of the 100g McClleland tins.

So far, I’m more motivated by cost and trying different things than stocking particular blends.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks, cosmic. I am in an interesting position. I'm still growing my palate and taste is in flux because I am newer to the pipe. Yet, I would like to cellar and I am set up to do so. What to do? Maybe waiting a bit is wise. I had thought that there might be a few I could start out with...
I'm in a similar position as you.My cellaring at this point is a bit of educated guessing and some randomness. As I try new things and like them, I buy 4-8 oz and store them. I figure in a year or two I'll have a nice varied collection. Right now I'll concentrate on some stronger (nicotine) blends, but honestly I'm not overthinking it. If and when Smoking Pipes has a sale on a brand I know I like (e.g., Lane), I'll stock up.

The best advice I ever got, suggested buying three tins of something as you explore blends in the beginning. One for now, one for a few years later, and one for the long haul.

I like this idea.
The clock is ticking, and being able to order tobaccos to be delivered through the mail is finite, probably within the very near future.

This issue is one of my main motivations right now. Buy 'em all, sort it out as I go.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Another reason I built my cellar, needed a place to put my furnace, hot water tank, & laundry ?.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
While there were good pragmatic reasons for my stockpiling pipe tobacco...things like rising prices, uncertain availability in the future, blends get better with age, etc. The #1 reason for me is I have a "collector bug" that is hard to suppress. For several years it was stamp collecting, several others it was buying books, and for several more it was purchasing as much pipe tobacco as I could reasonably afford.

I am sitting pretty on top of more pounds of baccy than I could ever smoke in my lifetime and just the other day I checked my inventory and marveled at how most of the blends in my cellar are approaching the 4-6 year old mark, which is the only good thing about time passing by at light speed.

I no longer purchase stamps, no longer make TAD purchases, and heading into 2020 will no longer be purchasing books. Not sure how my collector bug will manifest itself next...as many Lego sets as I seem to buy for my children I'm fearful I might turn into a Lego Maniac next.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I built my cellar for a number of reasons. First was because I believed that some of my favorites would go the way of the dodo. That happened to Rotary Navy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold and I was stocked up. Second is because I like the flavors of aged tobacco and that is pretty much all I smoke nowadays.
My cellar cost me about 20-40% less in 2012 and 2013 than it would have at today's prices.

Lastly I believe that ordering pipe tobacco online is going to be stopped eventually. If I had to rely on a local B/M I would be screwed. My state(Florida) put an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco making in state prices a total joke.

I just discovered this while trying to order from an in-state site. Redirected the orders to MI for the time being.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I no longer purchase stamps, no longer make TAD purchases, and heading into 2020 will no longer be purchasing books. Not sure how my collector bug will manifest itself next...
I went through a similar journey with books, safety razors, and fountain pens. And I also believe this is why I’m cellaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.