PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Would some of you Peterson experts please tell me if this is A real Peterson
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110593114823&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The P logo is a Peterson's but I guess the confusing thing is the fact that the stem has Great Britain stamped on it. Petersons did make pipes in the UK and those marked Great Britain were the last marks in the dating timeline which would mean that the pipe was made sometime in the 1950's to the very early 60's.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Excav8tor thanks for the reply, I have never seen A peterson with nothing stamped on the pipe itself, LOL I am bad confused

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I agree, the stem to mouthpiece connection looks a little strange as they are both bevelled inwards. Maybe one of the many other Pete Nuts will be able to shed some light on this.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
LOL I hope so, that stem does look like it goes with the pipe, don't you think?

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
A few of us on another forum were discussing that very pipe a few days ago. Most of us thought is was a cobbled together pipe. The reason being no stampings on the stummel. If it is a true Peterson, it will have been made before 1949. After 1949 they made the shank a bit thinner.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Thank you Chuck, I was hoping you would answer, did you notice the gap between the stem and shank, that and no stampings leads me to beleive it is A cobbled together pipe,

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
That was the main reason we didn't think it was a real Pete. The London shop is/was known for better than average work and the details and engineering on that pipe are bad.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
thanks to all you guys,excav8tor, chuck and kevin I still like that pipe and am going to bid on it, just going to go A little lower and if I miss it I will probably be better off, LOL thanks all

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Yes, I agree with Arthur, Chuck and excav8tor. Seems a 999 from the early years after Peterson modified this shape evolving it from the first 999 ball one, coupled with an english Pete stem. The rounded ends seem a crude device for coupling the shank with a different diameter stem, maybe having in mind certain meerschaum Petes or the '70s Dunmore ones.

The first 999s were pipes like the Author ones, with a spheric bowl. Then, after 1942 the double slot was added to the shape, then the straight upper profile instead the original rounded one, then the thinner shank...

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Following on from Skippers comments,here is a link to my albums showing the 999 Author style referred to by him.A 'Chubby' 1946.
Link to The Sandpiper photo album
or try this http://sandpiper.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Patent/Sandpipers-Peterson-Museum/12841363_okxwf#926515028_2StQg-M-LB

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I just took a look at sandpiper's collection. If you do look at it make sure you have a large bath towel under your chin 'cos drool on your keyboard doesn't do it any good at all.

That is one impressive collection. If I came to see it in person, I'd have to have my pockets sown up and my hands cuffed behind my back....it's simply awesome.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Wow, Jim! That's a collection!
And here you have an early 999. MADE IN IRELAND in two lines and 999 on the starboard side of the shank. No date hallmarks in the silver ring.

It's from a friend's collection.

999aw.jpg

BTW, was Natural a series name? Te bowl hasn't another markings as those described-

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for posting that photo of your friends 999 Erardo,it is very interesting.I had never seen one like that before.It is almost a hybrid between a standard 999 and a Deluxe system.

The 'Natural' designation to my mind referred to the finish,as it can be found on various series.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Yes, I suppose so, but this one is not sporting any series name.

You can see a Shamrock wit the same shape in the 1942 Yale's catalog at Chris Pipepages

1942Yale.jpg

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Ah!that explains it better,your friends pipe stem in the photo, was not pushed fully in.That accounts for my confusion in referring to the deluxe's, which have the extended stem, to allow for wear.

Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.