PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Richard987

Lurker
Dec 27, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Fl
A few months ago I moved into a new apartment. On the forth floor I would sit and enjoy my pipe once in a while. A month ago threatening letters were sent by management to renters in my building that they heard someone (maybe they new it was me) was, dare they, smoking. They said they would check every unit and sounded as if they will find that "criminal" . Didn't read deep enough the fine print, that said no smoking anything in or outside within their property. They have a large spread of land and buildings. I never had this problem with renting apts before and I always smoked my pipe on the terraces. I mistakenly thought it was just pot that was verboten, and I don't smoke it. So now I just leave their property in a huff and puff.

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
I once, in my youth, rented out a cottage in the quaint countryside. A nice stream was near the cottage and it had the brightest smelling roses in the garden. I decided to bring my dog, which in the lease, said it was a pet free place. I did not read this. My dog had an accident in the house while I slept and it left a stain. Lo and behold, the owners were not pleased. I offered to pay for a new carpet for the entire room to which they graciously accepted. They did not, in fact, return my deposit as I had broken the terms of the lease. From that day forward I have read every legal paper that required my signature. My advice is to read your next lease form; it will save you a lot of hassle and shock in the future.

Reactions: suamrai61

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
A few months ago I moved into a new apartment. On the forth floor I would sit and enjoy my pipe once in a while. A month ago threatening letters were sent by management to renters in my building that they heard someone (maybe they new it was me) was, dare they, smoking. They said they would check every unit and sounded as if they will find that "criminal" . Didn't read deep enough the fine print, that said no smoking anything in or outside within their property. They have a large spread of land and buildings. I never had this problem with renting apts before and I always smoked my pipe on the terraces. I mistakenly thought it was just pot that was verboten, and I don't smoke it. So now I just leave their property in a huff and puff.
This exact thing happened to me. It's most unfortunate. I get not smoking inside rental units; but no where on the grounds!? Highly frustrating.

I rent a house now, so still no smoking, but I have a porch and back yard now to relax in. When I'm not working.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I wonder if you are allowed a beer….or what about a hot pepper…..what about cooking some Indian food…..can you have shampoo that smells of exotic guava……you better have a read up of that lease before the police turn up!!!
I’ve read stories about landlords not allowing cooking if pungent foods inside the apt. It’s stupid and I’m honestly glad I finally found a spot where I can do what I want. And noooo I don’t live in a cardboard box on the corner of 41st St and Michigan Avenue….no sir!

Reactions: Gandalf The Grey

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
I’ve read stories about landlords not allowing cooking if pungent foods inside the apt. It’s stupid and I’m honestly glad I finally found a spot where I can do what I want. And noooo I don’t live in a cardboard box on the corner of 41st St and Michigan Avenue….no sir!
This sounds suspicious. I've seen that box and it looks cozy.