Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not by purpose, but by practice I always load large bits first. After drying the tobacco, I test for moisture. I pinch some and drop 'em on the paper plate I use. I do that enough times, small particles settle to bottom. So the tobacco I grab to load are bigger bits and smaller bits become kindlings. Also on relight, tobacco's already charred. Just have to pass the flame over the top few times with very light pull.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
Don't inhale at all.

When I light up initially it's a short term blast furnace.

Relights are a whole 'nother thing. Gentle, slow; draw the flame in, do not blast it; draw gently.

I do inhale when I relight the pipe. Maybe that's the problem.

Or the pipe is done. 'Cause I don't feel inhale any ash when I lit a new bowl of tobacco.

Thanks guys!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No shame in an early release of a bowl (not what she said, lol), IMO.

I found the stir suggestion interesting - I had a bowl that wasn't going so well last weekend, thought stirring it up about halfway through would help. I didn't remove any ash (lesson learned, haha) and got a little anxious relighting and experienced for the first time what the OP must be talking about - dumped it! Was either too wet or too tightly packed to begin with and then working all that fine ash down into the bottom - I learn by doing dumb stuff. So not against stirring, just didn't do it correctly.

Dry, easy pack, tamp when needed - I'm sticking with that and for me just accept there are diminishing returns to enjoyment as the bowl progresses sometimes and when that happens, abandon ship.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Perhaps the the problem is with the drilling of the pipe. If the airhole is too high from the bottom of the bowl you will encounter ash before you finish the tobacco. I have this problem with a couple of my pipes which are now in a box of pipes waiting to be moved on. Do you have the problem with other pipes or is this the only one you have?

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
*New update

In the first post, I mentioned my tobacco would came off when I tipped my bowl over after re-lit it.
It is because I pack my bottom layer tobacco too loose. Thus, making the ash can easily go through the unburn tobacco while smoking.
Now, I pack my tobacco a bit tighter. And tamp it nice and firm after re-lit. Finally, I can enjoy my pipe without inhaling ash before it is done.

Reactions: CallMeSangy