PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

"How To Avoid Inhaling Ash When You Re-lit?"

When I re-light my pipe. I always inhale ash from pipe bowl. The annoying part is, not much ash came off when I tipped my bowl over the trash can before I re-lit. But, when I re-lit my pipe and tipped my bowl over again. Almost half of tobacco would came off...
How do you guys do to avoid inhaling ash?
Thanks.

20220629_200406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Damn man how hard are you sucking on your pipe that the ash travels through the unburnt tobacco into your lungs? ?

Exactly my thoughts.

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

"How To Avoid Inhaling Ash When You Re-lit?"

When I re-light my pipe. I always inhale ash from pipe bowl. The annoying part is, not much ash came off when I tipped my bowl over the trash can before I re-lit. But, when I re-lit my pipe and tipped my bowl over again. Almost half of tobacco would came off...
How do you guys do to avoid inhaling ash?
Thanks.

View attachment 153944
I don't read anything about tamping?

I have tried dumping ash before tamping but found that for me personally, this is less effective.

I currently do NOT dump ash; rather I tamp and find that the ash present - once tamped nicely - provides the best layer of "insulation" to make relights easier and carry on burning longer.

In my experience a tamped pipe will not spill and I could nearly smoke it upside down.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Not a problem I've experienced. Very rarely do I need to relight these days and the only time I even consider removing an ash from the top is if I want to top up the pipe... ...I can hear the cries of horror; let me explain...

I often smoke when I am going out to the store to buy something; if it's the grocery or hardware store across the road then I may need to relight when I come out. If it's one a bit further away then the chances are my pipe is almost done by the time I come out (seems my pocket likes smoking too).

Now no doubt what I should do is carry a second pipe for the return walk; but I don't... ...sometimes I'll knock out the pipe on a handy tree and refill; sometimes I'll just add more tobacco on what remains (in which case, I'll scrape off the ash first).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Relighting a pipe when I'm down to the ash seems a waste of time. I'd notice the ash before I applied more flame, accept the fact that the bowl is finished, reload and fire up a new bowl. I've never taken ash into my mouth when there was still tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. I, not that often, smoke to only, to use a trite phrase, a "fine white ash." I might, at that point, unintentionally take a bit of ash into my mouth. Such happens only rarely and not often enough to bother with it.