PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
My wife regularly eats “raw” bacon, says the smoking takes care of bugs and parasites. I’d add the nitrates but she’s talking about pork smoked by her dad at home, which was probably less safe than supermarket bacon but there you go.
I spent three days of hell after having a salad with homemade mayonnaise, and since watching a very disturbing video of a NYC guy who ate sashimi pretty much every day I never touched that either. Don’t like oysters.
Only cooked stuff for me.

• Wow
Reactions: Papamique
Jan 27, 2020
My wife regularly eats “raw” bacon, says the smoking takes care of bugs and parasites. I’d add the nitrates but she’s talking about pork smoked by her dad at home, which was probably less safe than supermarket bacon but there you go.
I spent three days of hell after having a salad with homemade mayonnaise, and since watching a very disturbing video of a NYC guy who ate sashimi pretty much every day I never touched that either. Don’t like oysters.
Only cooked stuff for me.

Bacon in other parts of the world is often smoked or dried to the extent that it can be eaten raw and doesn't have the dank limpness of American bacon.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
English bacon it even wetter ;) German on the other hand (speck, it is called) is more akin to jerky, prosciutto or jamon, that’s the stuff my wife eats raw actually, lately I did too, it’s pretty good!

Jan 27, 2020
English bacon it even wetter ;) German on the other hand (speck, it is called) is more akin to jerky, prosciutto or jamon, that’s the stuff my wife eats raw actually, lately I did too, it’s pretty good!

Well, if you were to really cook prosciutto or jamon in Italy or Spain you might be stoned and neither are types of bacon. Bacon is cut from the belly while those two are from the pigs legs, jamon sounds like ham for a reason.

Reactions: karam and timelord

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Bacon is 'cured'; i.e. the production process should render it safe to eat as is. I used to eat it uncooked as a kid but these days only ever eat it cooked.

But I love raw oysters, scallops, even prawns (shrimp) if really fresh, sushi (and as mentioned earlier, fish for sushi should have been frozen to kill parasites), steak tartar... ...and so on and so forth. Not so keen on raw eggs but definitely have a raw egg when eating Sukiaki

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Bacon is 'cured'; i.e. the production process should render it safe to eat as is. I used to eat it uncooked as a kid but these days only ever eat it cooked.

But I love raw oysters, scallops, even prawns (shrimp) if really fresh, sushi (and as mentioned earlier, fish for sushi should have been frozen to kill parasites), steak tartar... ...and so on and so forth. Not so keen on raw eggs but definitely have a raw egg when eating Sukiaki

One thing I won't try which believe it or not you can find in Japan: raw chicken!

• Wow
Reactions: timelord

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
In Hawai'i raw fish is a common food I enjoy multiple times a week. We call it poke. Sometimes it's served fresh caught that morning (more expensive), sometimes thawed from frozen (cheaper). This includes raw ahi (the staple, and most popular), tako (octopus), muscles, crab, aku, salmon, you name it. I've never gotten a parasite or sick.

This is different from sashimi which is more of a holiday occasion food. The price, cut and usually grade is different.

Reactions: timelord

K9o99er

Lurker
Jun 25, 2022
i used to be on raw food diet back in the day. learned a lot of good recipes actually. kind of have to go back to basics.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well, if you were to really cook prosciutto or jamon in Italy or Spain you might be stoned and neither are types of bacon. Bacon is cut from the belly while those two are from the pigs legs, jamon sounds like ham for a reason.
Of course, but the German bacon I referred to (speck) is also cut from the belly and back, and has the dry texture of jamon and prosciutto.