PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always been advised against it, because of parasites. One of my cats ran up a major vet bill eating raw meat. What, a cat? I thought that was what they ate naturally. Well, this one was a rescue out of a drainpipe, which had been bottle fed. I think infant mammals including people pick up a lot of their immunity from mother's milk, so if they are bottle fed, they miss out. So our little guy was rescued by the vet school with antibiotics. He's still going strong after recovery. So raw food is iffy. Except I do like sashimi, so I take that risk. I may have been helped, if not with sashimi, by Navy bootcamp and pre-Vietnam deployment when I was inoculated against diseases which most have never heard of. So there's that. Like a shot or three every few days.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I have definitely ate some uncooked tortillini because I was too lazy to wait. My son almost eats raw and uncooked food exclusively. His favorite is uncooked hotdogs. He even eats frozen corn dogs. Kid hates hot food for some odd reason!

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kids taste in food is incalculable. I suppose their taste senses are more intense than adults', as is their sight and hearing. So they experience tastes differently, plus there is a huge range of likes and dislikes between individuals throughout life. People just taste food differently. Lamb and liver are two foods experienced entirely differently between people. Some find either one repulsive. Liver is my nemesis; liver and onions makes me queasy, just to look at, and definitely to smell. But lamb is fine. Others are the other way. I'm intensely tolerant of nearly all vegetables. Broccoli? No problem. Spinach, fine. When I was six or seven, no greater food experience was possible than a hamburger and french fries with plenty of catsup. I still like 'em.

Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have definitely ate some uncooked tortillini because I was too lazy to wait. My son almost eats raw and uncooked food exclusively. His favorite is uncooked hotdogs. He even eats frozen corn dogs. Kid hates hot food for some odd reason!
At least hot dogs are cooked at the plant but then again hot dogs can become contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes after they have been processed and packaged at the plant. So it’s always wise to heat then up till they steam. That being said i think it’s common for parents to give little kids cold cut up hotdogs to eat.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've always been advised against it, because of parasites. One of my cats ran up a major vet bill eating raw meat. What, a cat? I thought that was what they ate naturally. Well, this one was a rescue out of a drainpipe, which had been bottle fed. I think infant mammals including people pick up a lot of their immunity from mother's milk, so if they are bottle fed, they miss out. So our little guy was rescued by the vet school with antibiotics. He's still going strong after recovery. So raw food is iffy. Except I do like sashimi, so I take that risk. I may have been helped, if not with sashimi, by Navy bootcamp and pre-Vietnam deployment when I was inoculated against diseases which most have never heard of. So there's that. Like a shot or three every few days.
Wild cats are pickier eaters then domestic ones. They are less likely to catch anything because of that pickiness and also eating thing fresh. Sashimi isn't precisely raw it is cured or at least should be.

Jan 27, 2020
Wild cats are pickier eaters then domestic ones. They are less likely to catch anything because of that pickiness and also eating thing fresh. Sashimi isn't precisely raw it is cured or at least should be.

I'm not sure if that is actually the case anymore? Sashimi use to be fish that was kept in containers of fermenting rice, no? That changed after the invention of vinegar which was then used to make sour rice. If I am not mistaken the word sushi means "sour tasting" as it refers to the sour rice, not fish.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm not sure if that is actually the case anymore? Sashimi use to be fish that was kept in containers of fermenting rice, no? That changed after the invention of vinegar which was then used to make sour rice. If I am not mistaken the word sushi means "sour tasting" as it refers to the sour rice, not fish.
yes sushi is the rice. And while not fermented like it used to be, sashimi is still cured in a pretty mild kind of way but enough to prevent certain disease and pests.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can't tell you how much raw stuff I've eaten in my time. And partially raw stuff too.

My wife and I ordered chateaubriand rare at a restaurant the other night and chef absolutely nailed it. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of doneness on the outside but a large uncooked center that was maybe room temperature. Just fantastic.

I will second the French steak tartare mentioned above if you are at a quality French restaurant that knows what they are doing.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can't tell you how much raw stuff I've eaten in my time. And partially raw stuff too.

My wife and I ordered chateaubriand rare at a restaurant the other night and chef absolutely nailed it. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of doneness on the outside but a large uncooked center that was maybe room temperature. Just fantastic.

I will second the French steak tartare mentioned above if you are at a quality French restaurant that knows what they are doing.
I love beef carpaccio that is slightly seared on the outside and room temperature in the middle, sliced paper thin, sprinkled with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, and served with cornichons, minced shallots, maybe some minced hardboiled egg, and a dollop of mustard.

Lately, I've been making myself a charcuterie board for dinner with all the fixings. Salami (ham or turkey will do as well), assorted olives, marinated artichokes, cubed cheeses, maybe some pickles or roasted red peppers, and crackers with various mustards.

Simple, elegant, satisfying, and all with ingredients usually on hand. I even have a mini wooden cutting board for presentation, but usually just enjoy on a disposable plate for easy cleanup after a long day.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It was good enough for our ancestors, it's good enough for me..............
Mostly raw eater here...........

Yes, raw tortellini was a favorite of cavemen.

I cook anything that tastes better to me cooked, and leave it raw if it tastes better raw. After 15 years, my girlfriend and I pretty much always agree on whether to cook or not to cook, so I don't think we're breaking any new ground.

But she does eat a lot of raw cookie dough, and I refuse to do that - it has raw eggs in it, and I once saw a pretty weird-looking worm in a raw egg I had just cracked open, so not doing that. I love sushi, especially salmon and tuna, but I also love both cooked.

Jan 27, 2020
Yes, raw tortellini was a favorite of cavemen.

I cook anything that tastes better to me cooked, and leave it raw if it tastes better raw. After 15 years, my girlfriend and I pretty much always agree on whether to cook or not to cook, so I don't think we're breaking any new ground.

But she does eat a lot of raw cookie dough, and I refuse to do that - it has raw eggs in it, and I once saw a pretty weird-looking worm in a raw egg I had just cracked open, so not doing that. I love sushi, especially salmon and tuna, but I also love both cooked.

Yes, our distant ancestors were also making a form of ice cream which had raw tortellini suspended in it, which served as inspiration for Rocky Road ice cream. I believe I read about it here.