PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

koscak

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
hello

I try this interesting method ( from germany )for quick fermentation of some virginia and burly leafs ( i got the tobacco leaves from a relative, this season i will grow my own tobacco and this was a test :)), :

sprinkled cured leaves with honey water (1 tablespoon of honey to 0,5 liter of water), then placed one leaf at a time, and compressed. Then from the pile of some leaves ( 20 - 30) a roll is formed and rolled firmly in wax paper. The role is for 3 hours at 50°C - 55°C in the oven after that the leaves are restacked, the roll is unpacked again, the inner leaves are placed outside, rolled again and again pushed for 3 hours in the oven. If necessary, the sheets are again wetted with water and honey. I repeated process 5 times, until the roll gives off a subtle, pleasant scent of raisins ( i love smell of raisins). Then they are spread out to dry and cut, i put tobacco in glass jar to rest for at least 1 month. I sprinkled some treated cut tobacco with jagermeister and put him in plastic bag on heater for furder fermentation ( I told my wife that this is a hunters tobacco n.1 :)))).

sorry for my english :)

Reactions: Dolomitico

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
koscak, welcome to the site. Your English is a hell of a lot better than my German so no worries, you did great.
What you are doing sounds very interesting and I would not be surprised if your experiment produces something very tasty. Keep us informed as to how it smokes after you try it.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I wonder if some blenders actually use a version of this for their own blends.
Roth, Isn't that what a cavendish is? Or am I confused?
I thought that cavendish style tobaccos were cooked with steam (wrapping them in wax paper and baking would create a hot, humid environment too) and sometimes had sugar or something added (honey).
Pretty much like a sped up maduro process (as far as cigars are concerned). However, baking maduro wrappers is regarded as "cheating" in the cigar industry I believe, even though many places do it for an even color. Whereas baking tobacco for pipe tobacco use (cavendish) is generally accepted.
Correct me if I am way off. Either way, it's a good idea and I'd be interested to see how it turns out!

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Ahh, I see. And I have seen the tin-cooking come up here too.
So... would the process described above "sprinkled cured leaves with honey water...then placed one leaf at a time, and compressed...3 hours at 50°C - 55°C in the oven..." be considered a form cavendish-ing?
When I think of a cavendish, I think of "cooking" tobacco (Burley or Va's usually, right?) with heat, steam, and possibly a sugar to speed up the fermentation, and bring out more sweetness.
Thanks, for the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.