PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Damn I'm sad to see The Storytellers Pipe going out of business. I have ordered from them in the past and they had stock of Gowith twists As well as a few others that are always out of stock elsewhere. They had some of the fastest shipping I have ever experienced and I like how the bulk blends came in those dispensary thick bags. They will be missed that's for damn sure:(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I nominate the business for best named store. I'm sorry they're closing. Damned shame.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Would be a strange renewal though since they were just an online shop previously with no physical assets other than the product that I believe they fire sales off by end of year.

the previous owners were a real pleasure to communicate with and the real reason I did some orders there. Big shoes to fill if someone else was taking over the name.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There has to be a reason why so many small shops are being forced to shut down. All these regulations aren't doing anyone good.
Sure. Online sales are killing off B&M's that are not invested in online sales. Until a couple of years ago online shops didn't have to charge for sales and excise taxes, something physical stores couldn't do, giving online stores an unbeatable price advantage. Now online stores are obliged to charge sales tax and leave the paying of excise tax to the customer on an honor system, still leaving a considerable price advantage, especially as most people will ignore that obligation. Eventually that little loophole will close, with states forming reporting alliances to track online purchases, and scofflaws will be getting nasty and very expensive surprises. If states can't get revenue from online tobacco sales they will have no reason to allow them to continue.

Sep 20, 2019
I believe Sean said after the closing that some of the house blends from STP would be available in the future in one of the Facebook groups. I haven’t seen or heard anything since.
I have it on good authority that he has been making up new batches of the original house blends.

Reactions: kschatey

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve gotten emails from the new owners and it does appear some of the house blends are available but I haven’t bought any.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
If states can't get revenue from online tobacco sales they will have no reason to allow them to continue.
While true, I can’t believe something like this should need to be said. I remember an incident not too long ago over tea and taxes…it didn’t go well for those trying to institute the taxes. I think the incident might have happened in Boston?

• Haha
Reactions: ram74 and PipeIT

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
There has to be a reason why so many small shops are being forced to shut down. All these regulations aren't doing anyone good.
Being a small business owner myself I can give this sound advice: DON’T! Being a small business owner is akin to jumping through flaming hoops; while juggling; 30 feet in the air; center stage; on a tight rope; with absolutely no safety net and no intermissions. It’s fun…until you slip…or until somebody nudges you. (And that is precisely what regulations are, a nudge. Ask Cass Sunstein)

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Being a small business owner myself I can give this sound advice: DON’T! Being a small business owner is akin to jumping through flaming hoops; while juggling; 30 feet in the air; center stage; on a tight rope; with absolutely no safety net and no intermissions. It’s fun…until you slip…or until somebody nudges you. (And that is precisely what regulations are, a nudge. Ask Cass Sunstein)
Nothing wrong with that. Compare it to selling your soul to big corp. it’s a pro vs con battle and they both have them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know many successful and unsuccessful small business owners. They, the successes, were willing to risk every dollar they had to enjoy their dream.. They had, very important, the knowledge and willingness to work very hard. So, know the risks if you want to start or buy a small business. Do the due diligence, be happily willing to invest the heartbreaking hours, mortgage the house, forego the new car, risk the kids college fund and strive for your dream. You're either going to end up broken and sour or, you'll drive yourself to success. Life is a bitch and then you die. If you're not rick averse, willing to work pretty much 24/7 for years to provide something consumers are willing to pay for ... you can succeed.

Success depends on many things. But, a belief in yourself, coupled to a willingness to bust your ass and you might, possibly, achieve. Succeed or not, you'll learn a lot about yourself. But, you better brutally question reality of your undertaking before the mortgaging your future.

And, to those who chose to risk and try . . . my hat is off to you. Been there and done that. I've won and lost.

PS

I never found it fun. Satisfying? Yes? Fun? Never.

Reactions: gamzultovah