PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sorry to hear this, Salt.......... your health comes first. Do what you gotta do, hope you will still contribute here, always enjoy your posts!............ :puffy:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
The patch is works great. It’s not a magic pill but will help with those cravings that hit. It helped when I was getting crazy with how much I was smoking and cut WAY back.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I am rather late to this thread, but I'd like to wish Salted the very best. I wish you many years with good health and the fullness of joy. I respect your decision and determination to do what you need to do. Sincerely - Thomas.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
It’s a tough one...I had to take two months off with bronchitis...but I was a 1 bowl per week smoker, so it wasn’t a big deal...Take care of yourself....and be well!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the support. Only had one serious craving thus far, and quitting has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. Packing up all my pipes and tobacco on Friday was a coup.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I think former long-term cigarette smokers such as me(and my late Daddy was) are way more addicted to nicotine in comparison to any kind cigar or pipesmoker, and hence quitting 'cold turkey seems me almost as an impossible task.

Aug 14, 2012
Saltedplug: I have been going through the same thing. I quit last summer and stayed off for 2 months, then went back, but only once a day, now reduced to one smoke every few days. For this I have over 100 pipes left and 400 cans of tobacco. But not selling any more tobacco, at least not right now.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Having smoked a pipe for 40+ years, it would be awfully hard for me to give it up even if necessary. Even when I was off work 2 months recovering from triple bypass surgery nearly 5 years ago, I only refrained from smoking the first month of it, though the surgery messed with my sense of taste for a while making everything including tobacco taste off. I'll be retiring in the near future and worry a bit as to whether I'll be able to afford my vices much afterward. Best wishes to you 2 who quit, (or close to it Foggy).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Quit for 4 weeks today; when I was smoking I never even quit for a day. Lots of cravings, but I answer them all by my health. Truth is that I ignored symptoms for 10 years, watched them get worse, and knew that if I continued they would get worse still. So I'm quit, so far, but what I would give for a bowl of Dark Flake right now!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I quit a two pack per day cigarette habit around 13 years ago. That's when I decided it would wise to sell my pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars as well. Dumb. Six months later, I tried one cigar to see if I could smoke it without the cigarette crabbing coming back. It didn't. I haven't had a puff on a cigarette since quitting. For whatever reason, started in on pipes again in November. Beat my head against the wall for previously selling my pipes and pipe tobacco. Was smoking 3 to 5 cigars per day. I've only smoked 3 cigars in 2018.
I feel for you SP but am glad you continue to post. I respect your pragmatic decision and hope you enjoy a long healthy life.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SP, smoking a bowl of Dunhill Dark Flake right now, and it is f-ing amazing! Too bad you've opted out of ecstasy. :puffy: If you continue your abstinence, you may not live 100 yrs., but it'll seem like it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I think the effect of pipe smoking on breathing and, perhaps even cardiovascular health is probably a very individual thing for certainly I notice little effect on my breathing.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dunhill Dark Flake is a pale imitation of the one true Dark Flake made by GH (don't ask me how I know except that I smoked innumerable pounds of the real deal; the Dunhill, never).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Much as I hate to do so, I have to quit the forum to stay quit. The Sugar Plum Fairy of a bowl of Dark Flake has ben dancing in my head too often, and it strikes me as rather thick to think I can wander amidst all the threads recounting the wonderland of pipes and tobaccos without stirring up my yen. AA would say to sever all associations to persons, places and things.
I'll be around, more or less. I don't feel ready for a complete dissociation. I miss pipe smoking and will miss talking to all of you.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
So sorry to hear this. It seems to me such a pity that one should give up a passionately held hobby without apparently a definitive diagnosis of "tobacco-related disease". But I agree, to stay off the pipe, it may be necessary to avoid pipe fora, at least until the habit is kicked into submission.
Re: GH&Co Dark Flake - this has been my regular after dinner blend for more than 15 years, eclipsing all others. Ignore the stuff about a taint of "Lakeland Essence" - bollocks says I, Lol. I have heard that others find it rather one-dimensional; this I can understand, but within that dimension I find a whole universe of dark, loamy flavours - with sufficient nic-kick to prepare me for bed!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SP, very smart move by a very smart man. There's no way for anyone to smoke indoors and not be inhaling that smoke into one's lungs. It's disconnect some have. Everyone's tolerance is different. Congratulations for recognizing and respecting yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.