PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Generally questions don’t bother me. Yes there are dumb questions, but I welcome even dumb questions awkwardly worded in good faith, curiosity, or as a simple conversation starter. But in the spirit of this awesome thread, there is one I hate:
Can you do me a favor?
It depends on who's asking. There are people who I would genuinely help, because they're not leeches, and there are others who have no problem begging favors almost constantly because, obviously my purpose in life is to smooth the path of theirs.

Generally my response is, "It depends on what you're asking." and a may add "Here's what you're going to do for me." Mostly though, I don't really care. I've removed the leeches from my life.

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
If you run a search across all the forums here on the keyword “health” you find . . . essentially nothing. If there are any super-taster physiologists out there, or any athletes, I’ve got a question for you. And if you, dear reader, are neither of these, you are welcome to shell your peanuts in the galleries.

What are you doing to mitigate the infiltration of tobacco metabolites building up in your body?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
During the Presidents Day holiday I took a walk outside of my sub division to go to the local 'Gas Station' which also has a pretty excellent wine/beer store next door. Out side of this liquor store was a homeless fellow who sits outside. The conversation goes like this with each person passing by him...
Homeless dude: "Any change?".
Average Joe : "Sorry I don't have anything right now".
After being subjected to this guilt trip I did my shopping in the store. Upon emerging I was greeted with the same question. "Any change?". I looked at the fellow for a few seconds and replied. "No mate. You still look the same!' as I promptly motored it up the road!

When my kids were younger, the one question that grated on me was, "can I borrow,,," "Can I borrow $20?" "Can I borrow money for the movie?" They were always ok with terms and conditions of the loan, until they wanted to "borrow..." again, or when they would get paid, and I took their checks.

I would have felt better if they had of just said, "can I have..." But, it of course imposed on their sense of decorum and good intentions. But, as they got older, they learned to ask me if I had any tasks that they could do... which is at least a tad better.

• Love
Reactions: Laurent and JOHN72

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I saw Anthrax in the mid-90s at The Clash of the Titans with Slayer, Megadeth and Alice in Chains opening.

I saw that show in Baltimore, with my brother. It was the last thing I got to do with him before he checked himself out.

How about:

How are you liking your food? An awkwardly constructed inquiry, designed to force you into a positive statement.

Did you find everything okay? (at grocery) No, because you window-lickers compulsively rearrange the inventory.

Any inquiry from a female in that fake, high pitch voice. As Archie would say, "Stifle!".

And remember, ladies. If a man tells you he will do something, he will do it.

There's no need to keep reminding him EVERY YEAR! nnnn

1645535969576.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
In the spirit of this thread...
I played rec league ice hockey for quite a few years - an oddity here in the south. Being near a Marine Corps base, we had several big marines on our team. They would play right up to the line, but would not cross it (it was a non-checking league, so no hitting into the boards, etc.).

We were playing a team one night that had the owner of a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu establishment. Our guys kept getting the better of him and he couldn't take it - to competitive I guess...

We, he tried to start something with one of our marines - got in his face and kept saying "Do you know what I do for a living?, Huh?" and our guy said " I don't give a fu%$ what you do, I'm a Marine - I kill people for a living"

Game over, he backed down immediately and didn't cause any more problems. We nick named him Cobra Kai.

Fun times!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I mean, you could be an asshole if you don't like questions like,... How are you doing? Can I help you? or Are you ok?

But, obviously no right minded person likes all questions. Who let you in here? Who do you think you are? or Why do you have to be that way?

And, of course under certain situations, even ok question become bad, like if your pumping gas into your car and someone walks up out of the blue and asks, "Can I help you?" Or, if you're just setting by yourself drinking coffee waiting on someone, and someone walks up and asks, "Are you ok?" Or if your trying to carry thirty boxes all balanced precariously, and each box has a bowling ball in it, and someone walks by unconcerned and asks, "How are you doing today?"

Most questions are situational, and I thought it'd be good fun to explore.