Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all, it's been awhile.

I've been mulling around the internet, learning about new tobaccos, and heard of a blend I'd like to try (Samuel Gawith RB Plug, to be specific). However, this blend seems not make it across the Atlantic by the usual channels, but I stumbled on a company called Synjeco that seems to ship to the US. On one hand, it looks like those seedy websites that "import" cigarettes after you give them your account and routing numbers, or something, but when I searched "Synjeco" in the forum I saw some people referencing Synjeco blends. So my question is: is this website legitimate? Is it practical and/or possible to order from them in the US, from somebody who has experience with them? Or have I stumbled on a taboo of some sort that should be left unmentioned on this fine website? (Lakeland blends are of notorious availability in the US, and they are in suspicious supply on this website.)

Sorry if this is a taboo of any kind, but I'm geniunely bewildered.

Sep 19, 2019
Update: I just found the section on their website where they describe their ordering process. They take Amex and claim that the FDA does not regulate pipe tobacco shipments.

This is all well and good but I would still like to know whether anybody has experience with them.

Reactions: BROBS
Sep 19, 2019
Any recommendations on shipping method, or other hard-to-find things available there that I should know about? It seems most everything else on the site is readily available in the US.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I see they offer 'house' blends made by Kendall and offer a several twists and slices.
I wonder? Why don't others in the US market offer this seemingly easy to make presentation?
How hard can it be to twist up some leaves into a rope and cure em awhile, Jeremy Reeves?
These Gawith ropes are handmade with specific machines and dedicated staff that can make an essentially endless string of tobacco. I don't think there's another manufacturer that has them, anywhere. You can see the process in an old 60s or 70s video here.

The STG and MacBaren have roller machines that make a meter or so of tobacco rope which then gets cut into coins (see it here at 3:07 - Per Jensen says they could do ropes before but it was and is very slow, therefore expensive) but the difference is in the pressing and twisting that Gawith achieves with their ropes.

One could supposedly do it by hand and more basic equipment but it'd get too expensive I think. There's the Brazilian fumo da corda which I'd love to try one day, done by hand. Essentially anyone can twist tobacco leaves into a rope, I've done it, @cosmicfolklore has done it, and so have many others in the growing forum, but to make it commercially it's likely tricky.

Synjeco's house blends are very good indeed actually!

Sep 19, 2019
These Gawith ropes are handmade with specific machines and dedicated staff that can make an essentially endless string of tobacco. I don't think there's another manufacturer that has them, anywhere. You can see the process in an old 60s or 70s video here.
This video was fantastic to watch! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: BROBS and karam

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I recently placed an order with them. Bank transfer. Here's the tracking history:

October 14 departed Zurich Switzerland, October 16 arrived in Jamaica New York, December 4 processed through Jamaica facility, December 7 departed Jamaica facility, December 20 departed United States, December 22 arrived Zurich Switzerland.

That's the last I've heard. Of course I emailed Daniel, but no response as yet.

So be aware that if you place an order from the US, there is some chance that you will come away emptyhanded.

Sep 19, 2019
I recently placed an order with them. Bank transfer. Here's the tracking history:

October 14 departed Zurich Switzerland, October 16 arrived in Jamaica New York, December 4 processed through Jamaica facility, December 7 departed Jamaica facility, December 20 departed United States, December 22 arrived Zurich Switzerland.

That's the last I've heard. Of course I emailed Daniel, but no response as yet.

So be aware that if you place an order from the US, there is some chance that you will come away emptyhanded.
Oof, that's rough. I'd be interested to know what his response is, and how this resolves.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hi all, it's been awhile.
Hello. Are you old enough to smoke?
20671.jpg

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I just received this message from Daniel at Synjeco:

"Yes, we received the parcel back, and we don't know why it was returned, on the parcel there is just a label with the mention "Mail Service Suspended, return to sender". Please let us know, how we should proceed, we can refund you or try to send it again(?) If we should send it again, please confirm with your authorities that the goods can come to you in US, to avoid additional shipping cost expenses."

A refund is fine, but I would rather have the tobacco. Does anyone have any suggestions on making this work?