PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe its the newb in me but I don't think I would enjoy the hobby as much if there wasn't such a large variety to choose from. Its like star trek, to seek out new blends and new rotations, to boldly smoke what I haven't smoked before....(or something like that)

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I have about a dozen blends on hand and that's about as many as I care to choose from at a time. When one or more runs out I purchase a few more ounces. There are a couple blends I will reorder, but I like to change it up a bit too. I also don't care to build up a large stock of tobacco since I only smoke once or twice a week

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I smoked one codger blend for decades and was content. Tried the original Balkan Sobranie it its heyday and didn't like it. In my sixties, to learn more about what was now considered a hobby, I subscribed to pipe forums and watched YouTube videos. I discovered I like English, Balkan and most Lakeland blends, don't love aromatics, have trouble discerning the subtleties of pure Virginias but enjoy some Va/Burs and Va/Pers. I have to say, I'm enjoying pipe smoking and getting more out of it since I became less content.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 43 different blends in my cellar. Everyone of those were tested and had to smoke really well if they were to make the cut. 41 of those are Va,Vaper and Vabur flakes, plugs and rope. I have two aromatic blends that are smoked not that often.
I have stopped trying any new blends and the only new tins I buy are from pipestud and those all have some nice age.

I could never be a one or two blend guy as I enjoy variety way too much. Too many, 43 different blends is a minuscule amount for a cellar. I am sure there are tons of people who have way more variety.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Personally I think the market could use a few more blends. (Think bringing back some particular blends.)

Loosely speaking, competition breeds 2 things: lower prices and better quality. (Or some mix of.) Other than the loss of some specific companies for myriad reasons, we are seeing both very good, cheap blends as well as some truly exquisite, quality blends in the market.

Sure I could be reasonably content with fewer blends but on the same token if I had only 1 blend I'd probably quit altogether. Right now we have a fantastic market that is yielding good bulk blends that a pound of costs the same as a couple of tins of more exotic stuff that comes into and out of stock. I'm smoking and cellaring both types and enjoying the hell out of it.

It's not like I'm trying every blend out there nor would I want to but variety truly is the spice of life.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So if we had to rely on a limited selection it looks like we'd mostly be fine, though the hobby definitely will lose something if most of us are stuck with a limited selection. I personally think the best protection we can get for having selection is to convert as many people to pipe smoking as there are cigar smokers.
Though another way I might actually be more contented with a smaller selection is because of something I just noticed. Didn't smoke at all last two days I couldn't settle on what I wanted to smoke. If I only had a few choices less I could have just grabbed one and just smoked it.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I 'think' I'm gravitating to a short-list of favorites. But, there are just so many to try. Reading sites like this one always results in something new. It is really embarrassing how many working jars I have going, and how many varieties I have purchased that I've not yet tried.

As I've fumbled along, there have been a few great tobaccos that have caused me to change course and move off in another direction. The first great Virgina I had did that, the first great VaPer I had did that, the first great Burley I had did that, etc.

Reactions: BROBS and trubka2

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I 'think' I'm gravitating to a short-list of favorites. But, there are just so many to try. Reading sites like this one always results in something new. It is really embarrassing how many working jars I have going, and how many varieties I have purchased that I've not yet tried.

As I've fumbled along, there have been a few great tobaccos that have caused me to change course and move off in another direction. The first great Virgina I had did that, the first great VaPer I had did that, the first great Burley I had did that, etc.
then you probably understand why I do not have a big cellar.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm in a hurry to try as many blends as I can so I can make sure I've got the right stuff piled up in my bunker when tobacco doomsday arrives. I'm making up for lost time, and the clock is ticking. It'll probably turn out that I should've just bought 500 tubs of Captain Black Grape.

Status
Not open for further replies.