Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We adapt to what is present and available, so yes.

Growing up I thought that Red Delicious and Granny Smith were the only apples there were.
Green bell peppers and the occasional jalapeno were the entirety of the pepper field.
Colombian coffee was the standard.
Sex was missionary in the dark. None of that depraved, illuminated stuff... ?‍❤️‍?

Now, one can lose their mind in just the milk aisle. It used to be whole, 2%, skim and occasionally butter milk.

Now milk takes 30 yards of shelf space and can be made from any animal, mineral or vegetable and in an infinite number of flavors and consistencies.

If the tobacco aisle were reduced to only regular or unleaded, most of us would adapt, with ample whining and complaining about the "good ol' days".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad happily smoked only Granger from age 15 to 65, when he quit cold turkey, then he lived to 89 licensed to drive without glasses (I always say). He smoked all day, and I don't, but that's all the more reason I think I could make do with just a blend or two. If I tend to roll in variety, it seems we're in a time of variety, and it probably won't last. If I could get five good blends and a few condiment tobaccos, I could still mix a nice variety of "blends."

Stoic__Smoker

Lurker
Dec 15, 2019
Arkansas
I love variety. But I am always looking for that one blend I could smoke just it forever. That was Dunhill 965. I need to try the Peterson version soon..maybe it will make me feel the same.

Theres so much pipe tobbaco out there. I dont have the time or money to try it all. I hit up the classics but try to stay within what I like best. Which is the popular english blends. That way I am always smoking something I love. Instead of wading through things I may not.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
As a consumer I want to enjoy the most variety of the best quality as often as possible.

As a pipeman it’s no different, but if I only had one pipe and one blend and it brought me pleasure I’d count myself a fortunate guy.

I think we’re all pretty fortunate, sometimes with an embarrassment of riches.

Not gonna complain. ?

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I tend to enjoy consistency, so when I find something I like, I tend to stick with it. Hell, I eat the same cereal every morning and have done so for at least 25 years. So it should be not a big surprise that in regards to pipes, I am likely viewed as a “codger”.... in over 40+ years.... two primary pipe tobaccos, and all the rest would be occasional pipe fulls.... where the ounce or two I would buy would last months each.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Oddly, I’ve developed a taste for my own blend, even though I don’t have a set recipe that I follow- I just tweak it occasionally if I think some particular quality is missing and include any odd tobaccos that are otherwise laying around unused.
I’ve been making cakes and spritzing them with some German Absinthe that I have in the house and they have been a consistent pleasure!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Anyone else love the variety of smokes available but feels they'd be content if there was at least a few good choices of limited selection? And also why(?), why do you feel that way.
For me the answer is yes. I honestly like smoking and the variety is awesome and really fun, but for me that just enhances an already great experience.
I have a hard time choosing sometimes. I dont like that feeling. Having dedicated pipes helps I think. If I just smoked x pipe then I am limited in what I choose next. Helps with indecisiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.