PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Do you stick with your favorite CB blend -- white, gold or blue?

Or do you change it up every now and then?

And for you veteran CB smokers, have you always stayed with the same blend or have you switched over the years?

My current favorite is the Royal (blue) which I bought recently only because I had never tried it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I haven't smoked CB in a while, but I do go through periods where I will smoke CB White.

And, during those times I will occasionally smoke the "blue". I like the Royal, but only as a change.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
I keep a jar of CB white, but I usually end up twicking it a bit with some virginia's. Just to give it a taste that I really love. I somke the Royal every once in a while as well. i'm not really fond of the Cherry though.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Wow, Kevin, I have tried the Cherry and I actually started liking the White but I haven't tried the others. The cherry is something I have to be in the mood for because it can give me horrendous tongue bite if I am not careful.
But the white is actually pretty good. IMO.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For years all I smoked was Royal. The Seven Seas Royal is a better quality tobacco that can be had for less money than the Captain Black.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Uncle, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try some.

Better baccy at a lower price? Tough to beat.

Taste is so subjective and cyclical and right now I'm really in a CB blue cycle. I just find this stuff so darn smooth and agreeable.

I have given up trying to figure out why.

My new motto: Don't think. Just smoke and enjoy it.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I actually don't like CB, but along the lines of the "don't think" motto I neither know nor care why.

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
In order of preference;
White

Royal

Gold
But I spend my money on 7 Seas royal which is better than the white IMHO.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I used to smoke white as my go to smoke...However 1Q has moved into that spot although I do on occasion still enjoy a bowl of CBW.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All things considered the 7 Seas blends are quite close to CB . The best thing about them is they are far better quality at a lower price. Looks like a win win situation to me! :clap:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I have smoked CB white for almost 20 years now and it is my go to, I have tried many others but I seem to always come back to my White, I like the flavor and it is relaxing to me. Second I never have a problem finding it.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Yuri, there's a strong case to be made for availability.

While I usually keep a modest selection of baccy on hand (let's see I have 6 on hand now) I'm not a cellar-stocker. (I actually think keeping a cellar is very smart and penny-wise but we have accumulated too much is this household over too many years and my wife and I have agreed to at least try to "de-clutter.")

There's something comforting about the knowledge that you can go to just about any place that sells tobacco products and pick up a pouch of the Captain. No 40-minute drives to the nearest pipe store, no need to buy online. Convenience definitely has its advantages.

By the way, I like CB white and usually have a pouch on hand. To me, it's a slightly richer smoke than the Royal and perhaps not as sweet. While I prefer the Royal, the margin is narrow.
Buckeye, I have read a couple of reviews that said CB Royal was quite similar to 1Q. (They're both Lanes). Maybe some 1Q smokers could weigh in on this.

I hope the 2 blends are almost the same because it would save me money.

I can get 1Q for $2.50 an ounce from my local discount tobacco/booze store vs. about $5.25 for a 1.5-ounce pouch of CB.

I'm a cheapo so price matters.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Tinder Box has a Wilshire Blend that is very similar to CB Blue. It's a lot cheaper for me, because here in NW FL CB goes for 9-12$ for 1.5oz. Wilshire is only 4$ a oz. and I don't have to wait on a shipment. Pipe smoking here isn't always the easiest thing to do, but I love it! :puffy: I have just come to relize that I'll be placing lots of orders for some tobacco and having to cellar it away.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
I just recently bought my first pouch of the White.

I like it.

I did see a review where it warned against buying the pouch and sticking with the can. They indicated that the tabac in the pouch was dry.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
BTW, the pouch cost me $6.00 at the Indian reservation, re: Moapa reservation in Southern Nevada. Not a deal compared to other indicated prices (and especially since there are no taxes, I believe, collected.)

Status
Not open for further replies.