Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
@Donb1972 : Wow. I mean wow. Are you saying Mixture 79 was really that bad? Seriously I have heard people say that Mixture 79 has lost a lot of its 'je ne sais quoi' in recent years but to mix in W.H Green seems to me a bit drastic. With hindsight I suppose I really cannot say much as you are looking at the man who mixes the new drop of Ennerdale with Erinmore as a way of getting rid of a tin of Erinmore and at the same time trying to improve the latest Ennerdale drop.
I tub of Mixture 79, with one tin of Green...absolute heaven!:ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: kurtbob and jpberg

SadEyedDevil

Lurker
Jun 26, 2022
Frederick Town, Virginia
Hopefully this is not considered thread necromancy.
So, if I read correctly the War Horse blends have changed at some point?
If so in what ways? Cut, topping, tobacco make up. Especially concerning the Bar/Red as that is a blend I intended to keep on hand.

Reactions: kurtbob

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Basically. the current CI version of "War Horse Bar" bears no resemblance to the original, other than it's principal ingredient is tobacco and that some of it's flavorings may, or not, be similar to the original.

That said, if you enjoy the current version of War Horse Bar, then none of that matters, as the original was so unpleasant that it could shrink the balls of bull moose down to the size of mouse shit.

War Horse Oswald.jpg

SadEyedDevil

Lurker
Jun 26, 2022
Frederick Town, Virginia
I wish I had been able to try the original Gallaher brick but have and do enjoy the Standard Tobacco ressurection run.
I have gotten down to five tins of the first ST run bar and was going to order more but found that some folks said there had been a change.
@woodsroad : I understand the available version of War Horse is nothing like the the original solid plug but is the current red tin bar the same as the Standard Tobacco run?
As to the ball shrinkage, that has to be a side effect of the Irish plug, the closest I have come to descriptions of tobacco matching that was Cob Plug and luckily enough have noticed no anatomical issues.
Thanks for getting back to me all much appreciated.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@woodsroad: That was in my opinion one of your best War Horse adverts. I believe competing captions were 'That will teach him to steal my War Horse Bar'. Although I still love the slogan 'War Horse. Tastes like shit. Try some!'. Below is the original advert from the 1930's. Sadly quite a few people were very angry with us for bringing the tobacco back from the dead. The reaction was similar to if we wanted to re-make all the Roger Moore Bond films staring Eddie Murphy as James Bond. In those peoples minds eye War Horse existed in this mythical 1930's world with men building ships and forging steel besides big furnaces whilst smoking their pipes and showing off their muscle bound bodies without shirts on.

Unknown.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The current version breaks apart much more easily and the one I have resembles a soft brick of loosely pressed play-doh noodles. I despise the current cut, so i hunted around for a good stash of the earlier standard tobacco stuff.

I find the flavour is off, but that could be due to its age, as I never tried warhorse until 2020 anyways.

not all is lost though, I find the new stuff blends very well as some condimental dark leaf and flavouring at about 10% with straight burley. And I get that old Brittish otc vibe

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
The current version breaks apart much more easily and the one I have resembles a soft brick of loosely pressed play-doh noodles. I despise the current cut, so i hunted around for a good stash of the earlier standard tobacco stuff.

I find the flavour is off, but that could be due to its age, as I never tried warhorse until 2020 anyways.

not all is lost though, I find the new stuff blends very well as some condimental dark leaf and flavouring at about 10% with straight burley. And I get that old Brittish otc vibe
Totally agree with your assessment sir. Would add that if you take it out of the tin and jar it for 30 days or so, it becomes darker and almost a leather like consistency.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Totally agree with your assessment sir. Would add that if you take it out of the tin and jar it for 30 days or so, it becomes darker and almost a leather like consistency.
I’ll have to try that. It could also explain why I enjoyed the earlier stuff so much as I was given half a tin which had been opened for quite a while already.

Jonboy75.

Lurker
Jul 16, 2022
I tub of Mixture 79, with one tin of Green...absolute heaven!:ROFLMAO:
Hi there all, I'm a newbie to pipes smoking and the forum, my old Irish grandad smoked gallaher's warhorse all his life; having recently taken up the fine art myself, an old aunt of mine blew my socks off recently when she produced TWO half ounce bars of the stuff, unopened in their original wrapping, absolutely mint condition, like the day it was bought. Here's the thing, the plug is at least 25 years old, he died in 1998,and this was from one of his *many* stashes around the house, ?. So... guys, any ideas what I should do with it? Will it even be any good to smoke after all these years, and/or will it need rehydrated (if that is even possible). Many thanks in advance for any help chaps.
Jon.
P. S. I weighed both bars,, one is 21.5g the other is 22g if that helps.

Jonboy75.

Lurker
Jul 16, 2022
Hi there all, I'm a newbie to pipes smoking and the forum, my old Irish grandad smoked gallaher's warhorse all his life; having recently taken up the fine art myself, an old aunt of mine blew my socks off recently when she produced TWO half ounce bars of the stuff, unopened in their original wrapping, absolutely mint condition, like the day it was bought. Here's the thing, the plug is at least 25 years old, he died in 1998,and this was from one of his *many* stashes around the house, ?. So... guys, any ideas what I should do with it? Will it even be any good to smoke after all these years, and/or will it need rehydrated (if that is even possible). Many thanks in advance for any help chaps.
Jon.
P. S. I weighed both bars,, one is 21.5g the other is 22g if that helps.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK. I'll play War Horse! Those are the early 1980s War Horse Bar and should be fine if the packages are still sealed. When opened you will see the words 'War Horse' stamped on the plug in no particular order or in some random fashion. The older War Horse have the whole name stamped into the plug with a rectangle border. As a comparison here is a War Horse Bar from 1973 before the age of plastic wrapping. Enjoy your find and smoke it in a small bowl to start with and preferably on a full stomach!
images.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg