PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
If you're certain that you'll stick with this, know that your tastes WILL change, improve, vary, and take unforeseen deviations, perhaps even circular.

I had read enough of that input here on the forum to believe it would likely be true for myself - as it had been for so many others. So as I was buying things to try "now" and putting back blends for the future, I never hesitated to purchase well-recommended Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, etc. for example. Even though I was having all the typical challenges with them back then.

Now, I've got lots of good, and some great, blends to enjoy in categories that didn't suit me then, but do now. My tastes DID change, and now I've got blends that were good, some will have improved after a year or two, and all's well!
That’s what I’m hoping! I’m keeping them all to try later as I am noticing the more and longer I smoke, I taste more and can pick out different flavors that never happened in the past.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
He's a newer smoker, and like myself, will not likely have an opportunity to try the Dunhill version.

But that does not mean that Petersons version isn't appreciated by those of us who have only tried it. It's a good blend that is available today, and might be something he'd enjoy immensely, and is both affordable and available.

I too appreciate Artisan's Blend, but Nightcap was unique and an immediate love in my experience.

I think it's a good idea to encourage tasting current blends to new smokers for what they are today, and this one is still a crowd pleaser.
Great to hear. I’m going to order a tin and give it a try.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Great to hear. I’m going to order a tin and give it a try.
The neat thing for me, is that as my palate matures, I'm finding I like most all of them for what they offer. Some are just a part of "the group" and don't stand out so won't be ordered again, but very few were a waste of effort, being that I'm only a few years into it and I'm essentially "exercising" the palate...

Twenty years down the path, I'm sure my thinking will be a lot different, but that's then...

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
He's a newer smoker, and like myself, will not likely have an opportunity to try the Dunhill version.

But that does not mean that Petersons version isn't appreciated by those of us who have only tried it. It's a good blend that is available today, and might be something he'd enjoy immensely, and is both affordable and available.

I too appreciate Artisan's Blend, but Nightcap was unique and an immediate love in my experience.

I think it's a good idea to encourage tasting current blends to new smokers for what they are today, and this one is still a crowd pleaser.
What I was referencing was that in my opinion the current Nightcap blend is inferior to the old blend and bears only a slight resemblance to the old blend, and that there are better current English blends on the market with perique. You may disagree and that is certainly your prerogative. As Sly Stone once said, “different strokes for different folks.”

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
It should be noted that Nightcap has high nicotine levels for an English blend (a blend containing Latakia) but not overly high at all in comparison to some other burley, perique, or dark fired blends, and no where close to something like a Gawith twist/rope.
I agree with this. ^^^^ I find Nightcap to be a satisfying smoke with a decent nic hit but nothing to be afraid of.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Nightcap was a Dunhill tobacco that I smoked for over 40 years, if you like it you should try all English blends or Balkan blends, I mix my own tobacco these day's like the old times when you could get the tobacconist to mix it for you, my new mix is like Nightcap but better in my opinion, might change it soon, I just love mixing tobacco's and it's a art, been doing it for years and it's the best part of smoking a pipe, well smoking it is the best part. puffy

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Also just tried Match Sunrise which was lovely. Haven't tried the Peterson/Dunhill originals so I don't know how the matches compare but they stand on their own.

Reactions: Scottmi
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I would try some English Oriental Supreme bulk. It's cheaper and has those Orientals and healthy dose of latakia. I don't smoke latakia blends but a few times a year and it's one I really enjoy. A great bulk blend.
As far as tins, MM 965 (as stated above), Rattrays 7 Reserve, Balkan Sasieni and McConnell Oriental. These are all in that Oriental/Latakia wheelhouse and almost always in stock, and great blends.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Think stronger than EMP. In those blends, what you are tasting is Latakia. And Night Cap has stronger Lat flavor. If you like Lat and want more of it, NC will suit you. As to aromatics, it will take sometimes before you can taste them. Might be few years or sooner, it all depends on the individual. You are digging Lat blends because they are easy to taste and they aren't half bad.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
So, I’m still relatively new to pipe smoking and tried numerous aromatics, only to find that most of them didn’t live up to my expectations, or enjoyment/taste (really couldn’t taste much and a fair amount of tongue bite). Most of these issues were probably just me, however, my wife and I recently went to New Orleans and I stumbled across a tobacco shop that sold several blends of Perique. I bought some and OMG…. I have found my sweet spot!

Now for the question… I’ve stated branching out into non-aromatics and just got an order of Peterson Early Morning and I love it, about to order another tin. I also like what I’ve heard and read about Night Cap. It’s a little more expensive and just curious what the seasoned experts out there might have to say about it, based on my complete enjoyment of Early Morning..: should I try it? Is it comparable? Better? Or are there other comparable/better options I should look at? After numerous purchases of Aromatics, I really don’t want to spend a lot more $$ experimenting. I now know what I like, but would enjoy a little variety.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Which B&M did you visit? I live in the area & am always looking for the inside scoop.

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Nightcap was a Dunhill tobacco that I smoked for over 40 years, if you like it you should try all English blends or Balkan blends, I mix my own tobacco these day's like the old times when you could get the tobacconist to mix it for you, my new mix is like Nightcap but better in my opinion, might change it soon, I just love mixing tobacco's and it's a art, been doing it for years and it's the best part of smoking a pipe, well smoking it is the best part. puffy
Thanks! I would love to try mixing my own, not there yet, but I am starting to get the different flavor profiles from different leafs and I know what I’m really liking right now!

Reactions: UncleRasta

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Nightcap, to me, is almost like a compulsory "must try at least once" kinda blend. Whereas some people advise new smokers to take time learning packing techniques, cadence, drying, etc before attempting Virginias, Latakia blends offer newer smokers detectable flavors quickly, and without requiring the same level of skill to "tease out" nuances. And what's more, Nightcap is a ribbon cut, which can be easier for a newbie to pack and keep lit.

Nightcap was my first nirvana smoke; in a Savinelli 673. So I'm biased, but with reason, I think.

@Relax62 see if you notice a flavor/strength difference between the first few bowls of your freshly opened tin vs a week or two later. Nightcap is interesting like that.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I like nightcap very much. I remember being hesitant to try it bc it was supposed to be so strong. I personally never felt like it was a real heavy hitter but I do usually smoke it in a smaller Peterson 999.

Reactions: Relax62 and FLDRD
1. Current Nightcap is still an exceptional blend

2. As some has pointed out already - Nightcap may be strong when compared to other English blends, but it is nowhere as a strong as the burley/DFK/Dark Air Cured tobacco. I would give like most others 3 out of 5 in terms of Nicotine

3. GL Pease makes some exceptional English/ Balkan blends and Quiet Nights / Westminster are the ones to try out. In general all GL Pease Latakia blends are exceptional

4. There are other exceptional Latakia blends, but too much choice probably won’t help at this point

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I love Early Morning Pipe, and it's one of my go to blends. If you like EMP you'll like Nightcap. They are very similar blends; however, Nightcap is a bit stronger. It's nothing to be afraid of, but it is stronger than EMP. I enjoy it in the evenings with a nice bourbon.
I think you should share the recipe for your Headbanger blend on this forum. I promise to try it while wearing a Steve Largent throwback jersey!

Reactions: Relax62