PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yeah, if you live in America there is. Not everyone gets the same amount of choice.
There are places that can get you what you need anywhere in the world my friend. You just need to know which places to look. I'm from Canada, where pipe tobacco is extremely limited and taxed through the roof. I can acquire pretty much anything I desire. At least right now.

Reactions: DeerparkDays
Jun 9, 2018
England
There are places that can get you what you need anywhere in the world my friend. You just need to know which places to look. I'm from Canada, where pipe tobacco is extremely limited and taxed through the roof. I can acquire pretty much anything I desire. At least right now.
Yes, i've got plenty of tobacco in my cellar from the US but it cost a lot more money. Uk pipe tobacco choice isn't that big and is getting smaller all the time. The Rattray's and Mac Baren blends have all but disappeared so losing another company because of regulations would be bad news.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yes, i've got plenty of tobacco in my cellar from the US but it cost a lot more money. Uk pipe tobacco choice isn't that big and is getting smaller all the time. The Rattray's and Mac Baren blends have all but disappeared so losing another company because of regulations would be bad news.
Yeah I hear ya. Any tightening of the noose isn't a good thing and makes the future look more grim

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The easy answer - if you like it, stock up on it as much as finances permit.
If you love it, buy it like there's not tomorrow. You'll eventually get comfortable and slow down and not fret the concept so much of change (maybe).
Harris had good advice on this subject and I kinds went his route, just not as extreme.

Do the math on how much you need, budget that into your annual income. Don't use credit cards. And go for it.

Personally, I like to smoke a couple tins before loading up just to be sure. I've gotten stuff that I loved after a few smokes only to discover I didn't care for it later on. Tastes change, start with what you know.

There's my lousy. 02

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah, I don't have to tell you about limited tobacco choice and high prices as you live in Canada. I think it's just a matter of time before the UK has Australia & New Zealand levels of tobacco prices. The way things are going - inflation, regulations, taxes - that won't be long😒

Reactions: gervais
Jun 9, 2018
England
If you love it, buy it like there's not tomorrow. You'll eventually get comfortable and slow down and not fret the concept so much of change (maybe).
Harris had good advice on this subject and I kinds went his route, just not as extreme.

Do the math on how much you need, budget that into your annual income. Don't use credit cards. And go for it.

Personally, I like to smoke a couple tins before loading up just to be sure. I've gotten stuff that I loved after a few smokes only to discover I didn't care for it later on. Tastes change, start with what you know.

There's my lousy. 02
I'm trying to stock up on Germain's but it's hardly ever in stock and when it is it sells out very quickly. I've got a reasonable amount in the cellar but I definitely need more as Brown and Medium Flake are 2 of my favourites.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina

There's my lousy. 02
My default is buying 2 tins to start with a new blend, I need to figure out how much I smoke and calculate it. Much better to have a plan then just buying in a frenzy.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That's if you are allowed to import it in the first place.If not taxes are not the problem.Getting it into the country is

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
That's if you are allowed to import it in the first place.If not taxes are not the problem.Getting it into the country is
All you really need to do is find one of the many active, trustworthy members on this forum, pay them and have them mail you what you want, and have them declared in a clever fashion, like "collectible tins" or something like that. I've had it done for me many many times.

Reactions: DeerparkDays