PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I’m not at all up on what’s happening and don’t have a lot of success finding relevant info googling. I do remember hearing Per Jensen talk about new European regs coming into play next year. Should I be buying my lifetime supply in 2023? 😂

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pipe tobacco certainly isn't going to be any easier to acquire. And the price isn't going down. If you're not building your cellar at an accelerated rate, you may not have anything to smoke down the road.

With that said, I seriously doubt pipe tobacco is going to be extinct come 2024.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pipe tobacco certainly isn't going to be any easier to acquire. And the price isn't going down. If you're not building your cellar at an accelerated rate, you may not have anything to smoke down the road.

With that said, I seriously doubt pipe tobacco is going to be extinct come 2024.
Maybe not extinct, but certainly more expensive, with less variety.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m not at all up on what’s happening and don’t have a lot of success finding relevant info googling. I do remember hearing Per Jensen talk about new European regs coming into play next year. Should I be buying my lifetime supply in 2023? 😂
I say yes but not because of regs. For one the law is usually more complicated then it seems. Honestly there even if they do what you think they're going to do, ironing that out is going to take longer especially when you consider that life loves making sure that things never get too simple for any of us!
But the biggest danger we have isn't outside interference (well in my opinion) but disinterest. And I have to add that on occasion these things are as bad as predicted, but do not forget that more times these situations prove out the idea that people are a pessimistic lot for whom the sky tends to be in a constant state of falling. That said man all those new blends we're not getting because of the Deeming regs over here.... I've really missed all the good cheeses the FDA took away (seriously that was something the cheese people told us).
But what's going to kill your favorite blends is just the simple they're not making enough off of it to justify what ever they have to do to make it (in some cases that would be building a time machine).
I also wish I could remember the proper term for this thing. But politicians want it both ways and they pass a law that makes the people against a thing feel like something is being done, while not interfering with the revenue they collect from that same thing. A great example is how in my lovely state filled with many not so lovely people (there a few here and there but I have to make fun of PA it deserves it), they pass laws that you can only buy so many ounces of beer at a time. Which means you can only purchase so much beer per time you walk through that door. You can buy the whole store if you have the money and enough walking power. But the anti-saloon league thinks something is being done about the scourge. And we get money to fix the potholes too.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina

But is it going way up in price and will the European blends be even less accesssble?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Oh if you really like something. Buy it now. Not cause of any of the things people said. Because all it takes is one step in the process changing or going away for that blend to stop being precisely what you like. Not likely but a fungus could thrive on one strain of tobacco and wipe that off the commercial map. Who knows the largest grower of your favorite condimental leaf that you don't even know is in your favorite blend could be a mad man who thinks dynamite is really fun to play with and could blow up his stock before he sells it.....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
But is it going way up in price and will the European blends be even less accesssble?
honestly at any moment they could stop selling to America. Each market adds expense. And even if the law went the opposite way and let anyone sell tobacco anywhere to anyone with whatever additives they wanted.... The blend you love might just not sell enough here for them to justify the pain the in the butt.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Oh if you really like something. Buy it now. Not cause of any of the things people said. Because all it takes is one step in the process changing or going away for that blend to stop being precisely what you like. Not likely but a fungus could thrive on one strain of tobacco and wipe that off the commercial map. Who knows the largest grower of your favorite condimental leaf that you don't even know is in your favorite blend could be a mad man who thinks dynamite is really fun to play with and could blow up his stock before he sells it.....
I’m lucky I like a lot of blends, but my favs tend to be the classics which seem to be dwindling more and more, so I’m running up my credit a little with the idea that I can catch up in following years.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Who knows for sure? My crystal ball is a bit foggy. Prices here in the States have gone up 15 to 20% in the past 3 years. Government typically doesn't take your freedoms or steal your money all at once. They do it in increments so they can get by with it. If you're looking for guarantees, go with taxes and death.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I follow this train of thought. I had a tin of Peterson's Irish flake that I dabbled with a bit here and there. What I figured out, though, it that I was gravitating to it more and more without fully recognizing it. If you look back through the annals here, you will see that Irish Flake (not dissimilar from other blends) has changed over the years. Since I love the flavor and composition of the current iteration, I bought ten tins to cellar since I have no idea if it will change next year due to too many factors. I find that I do not buy en masse unless it is something I know I cannot live without.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So buy idea to stock up on euro blends I like this year is not unfounded?
If you really like a blend, stock up on it because it might either become less available, more expensive, be discontinued, or be changed with different component tobaccos that significantly alter the flavor. That's what's happening and there's no reason to believe that's going to change.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I’m lucky I like a lot of blends, but my favs tend to be the classics which seem to be dwindling more and more, so I’m running up my credit a little with the idea that I can catch up in following years.
I also like most stuff. So that certainly helps. Guess it all depends though on your budget and all that. The thing is the only way pipe smoking is going to go away is it stops being worth it for people to make the stuff. And hey worst case scenario we have to get it smuggled from China. Which hell it's been a long time since I had adventure in my life so maybe it is not all so bad. I could be the scarface of pipe tobacco why not, oh and anyone who thinks they can muscle in just realize you'll have to kill Cosmic at some point. Sorry dude just facing facts. Hope it helps that we'll say really nice things for your eulogy.

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and orvet

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I follow this train of thought. I had a tin of Peterson's Irish flake that I dabbled with a bit here and there. What I figured out, though, it that I was gravitating to it more and more without fully recognizing it. If you look back through the annals here, you will see that Irish Flake (not dissimilar from other blends) has changed over the years. Since I love the flavor and composition of the current iteration, I bought ten tins to cellar since I have no idea if it will change next year due to too many factors. I find that I do not buy en masse unless it is something I know I cannot live without.
I am fine with rolling with whatever happens. But there are a couple blends that I have to admit I'd be sad if they disappeared or changed too much. To me it's worth hoarding those. For one I know I'll smoke them at some point (It's amazing how many piles of a certain blend you see sold here, because the person loved it and then just like that waitress from Montana the thrill wore off fast.)

Reactions: Deano

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I am fine with rolling with whatever happens. But there are a couple blends that I have to admit I'd be sad if they disappeared or changed too much. To me it's worth hoarding those. For one I know I'll smoke them at some point (It's amazing how many piles of a certain blend you see sold here, because the person loved it and then just like that waitress from Montana the thrill wore off fast.)
That blend was Sun Bear Mountain Flower for me. I think I was chasing the FOMO dragon on that one, though. I feel that I am a bit more discerning with my tastes enough that I don't buy a tonne of something I have not tried. I remember that waitress from Montana. Fickle woman. Fickle times.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That blend was Sun Bear Mountain Flower for me. I think I was chasing the FOMO dragon on that one, though. I feel that I am a bit more discerning with my tastes enough that I don't buy a tonne of something I have not tried. I remember that waitress from Montana. Fickle woman. Fickle times.
I've said it recently but less then finding out how much I like a blend the finding out how often I'll enjoy it is key. There are lots of blends I keep a tiny bit around because when I do enjoy them I really enjoy them a lot, but not often. The must haves for me are Five Brothers, EGR, Yorktown, some coin, and something English or similar. All of those give me a consistently above average joy when I smoke them.
Oh the waitress is an inside joke. Years ago I told this tall tale about my fictional life and it involved the dangers of meth which amounts to mainly living with a waitress in Montana. About 20 minutes after weaving this complete b.s. one of the people there (the sober one too I might add) said "wait we hung out a lot that summer, you didn't go out west". That is when I learned that I can trick and lie my ass off if I don't think it will work at all.