PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Is there a pipe stem that you can buy that can be clenched without getting destroyed? I have heard of the forever stems for cobs, can you clench them without destroying them? I am not real crazy about the rubber tips.. :roll:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Some use the tubes used for aquarium air hoses. I am one who likes the softy bits. To each their own?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I use small thin rings cut from surgical rubber tubing.

Slip em off during cleaning before racking.

Covers only area where teeth hit stem.

Works well for me.
IMAG1347-1-1.jpg

IMAG1349-1-1.jpg

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Also use the softie bits. My first cob never had one on it, and the stem looks like a beaver went at it. My briars all have them and look perfect when the rubber's off.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have found that my pipes are light enough that they do not get heavily damaged from clenching. Even if they did get major tooth marks, I would still clench then with no rubber bits or tubing. My pipes are meant to be enjoyed so tooth marks are just one of the things that comes with the territory. I am not so anal that a few tooth marks are going to take away any pleasure I get from smoking the pipe the way that is most comfortable for me. I also find that tooth marks are like scuffs on an old pair of comfortable shoes, they add character.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
My pipes are meant to be enjoyed so tooth marks are just one of the things that comes with the territory. I am not so anal that a few tooth marks are going to take away any pleasure I get from smoking the pipe the way that is most comfortable for me. I also find that tooth marks are like scuffs on an old pair of comfortable shoes, they add character.
Good point Harris and I don't mind the teeth marks but my stems on my MM cob and MM hard wood were getting destroyed to where the tips were actually ruined because I was clenching so tightly. I do believe it was worse with my cob because it's a bigger heavier pipe.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The thing about the thin ring rubbers for me, is that they help me hold on to the pipe, while walking, doing chores, or other wise keeping busy. They facilitate hands free piping, and thereby maximize intimate bonding, and slow cadence regulation. Protecting the stems from teeth mark chatter is simply an added benefit, though not its primary purpose.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hey Kashmir. When you started out clenching, did your mouth produce a lot of extra drool? If so, did that eventually slow down as your mouth got used to the pipe being there? My only problem with clenching as I am walking around doing yardwork is I have to take the pipe out from time to time to wipe my chin, and was hoping this would pass in time. Anybody else have this issue?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
When I first started clenching I had to wear a bib to catch all the slobber, lol, but eventually your salivary glands downshift and stop embarrassing you. But it takes time.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I use a method that I call the "hanging clench". I hold the pipe in my teeth right behind the botton and let it hang from my mouth. This allows me to have my hands free without having to bite on the stem.
To think... The button actually serves a purpose. :lol:

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Well, at least it's good to know that the drool does scale down. Meanwhile, if I can only avoid the embarrassment of my wife or somebody taking a picture of me wearing a bib while I'm doing yardwork and sticking it on facebook. 8O

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Well, at least it's good to know that the drool does scale down. Meanwhile, if I can only avoid the embarrassment of my wife or somebody taking a picture of me wearing a bib while I'm doing yardwork and sticking it on facebook. [8O]
:rofl: That's exactly what my wife would do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.