PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't accept the heroes in Pulp Fiction as heroes. In Once Upon A Time, I did, even though the gratuitous violence in Quentin's films is always overdone and enjoyed in a sick way. An uncle and a friend's dad were in the real gore ofWWIi, and I'm pretty sure they would have walked out. I could go on, but I'll leave it there.

Reactions: whsergent

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I've been a Tarantino fan since Reservoir Dogs, and I think Once Upon a Time is one of his best. It's a little tricky since it's so meta (even more than his previous films), and I doubt there are very many people who can recognize most of the allusions and subtexts. The movie is one long string of visual quotations, so it can be a little obscure. But even though I can only half-ass understand it as art, I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a great comeback after Hateful 8, which didn't do much for me. Guess I'm in the minority here, as I thought Basterds was hilarious and great fun. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything with a lot of Nazi-killing, and that movie has some glorious Nazi-killing.
Ya kidding me. Basterds was a gas. Love that one too. Who doesn't like that one? There's only 3 I don't ever need to see again, and only because he'd lost the touch for authentic dialogue in them and those 3 are both Kill Bills and Jackie Brown.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ya kidding me. Basterds was a gas. Love that one too. Who doesn't like that one? There's only 3 I don't ever need to see again, and only because he'd lost the touch for authentic dialogue in them and those 3 are both Kill Bills and Jackie Brown.
Totally agree. Inglorious Basterds was a great flick. It’s not supposed to be historically accurate.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I haven't seen his latest film, but most of his stuff I enjoy. Although technically not one of his films, he and his friend Robert Rodriguez did Desperado, one of my favorite films. Tarantino appears in it and the rest of the cast is so much fun, I've watched it at least 4 times over the years. What can I say, I'm easily amused!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I understand correctly, Tarantino builds a film in writing, doing all the scripting himself, and the scripts to judge from the movies are tight, fiercely edited, with first rate dialogue. As far as that goes, I really identify. 'Wish I did something that good that is also commercially big. The arrested development sadism, I can't speak to that. Seems less all pervasive in "Once Upon A Time," at least.

Reactions: anotherbob
I just enjoyed the hell out of watching that little Manson tweeker get the flame job in the swimming pool... roasted. It was similar to seeing Hitler get massacred in a theater. I have no idea which movies are made by whom. I may like his movies, but I just have no idea who directors are... I barely know the names of any actors, and definitely not actresses. I just watch movies for the suspension of disbelief. As far as who what when where's of movies... Yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.