PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not doing an article, but the director Tarantino has soured me with a past film or two, and trailers from others, with a kind of soul-less, nihilistic glee. As in Pulp Fiction where a condo full of undoubtedly foolish college boys are gunned down for absconding with a briefcase full of (we are left to guess) some kind of super valuable drugs. The rest of the movie is a festival of death. One street kid is blown away by shear fumbling with a weapon and a high cost fixer comes in to clean up the mess, specifically, his remains. After two hours of that -- beautifully colorfully dramatically presented -- I was really put off Quentin and his high art. His recent ninth movie, "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," has all of his pizzazz, jubilant color and cinematography, and primo acting (Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie) to spin a fantasy to redress exactly the kind of gratuitous violence the director has (to my sense) jubilantly celebrated. It's a re-do in the imagination of one of the horror crimes of Hollywood history, re-visulized with a better outcome, if violent. I recommend it.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I enjoy most of Tarantino's films ... I found Once Upon a Time in Hollywood a refreshing experience. Long driving scenes reminiscent of Hitchcock's Vertigo, brilliantly restrained suspense at points, characters that start off resembling losers and posers but somehow redeeming themselves as the story progresses, a narrative buildup that justifies the gratuitous violence towards the end, one scene where DiCaprio is funny as hell until very suddenly he makes a threat to a mirror that strips away all humor ... so much about this spellbinding movie I enjoyed. For once the smartass dialogue plays second fiddle to a technically clever filmmaker's storytelling craft. I felt like I'd taken a short vacation to the end of the 1960's. I enjoyed the smart use of a couple Bernard Herrmann music cues he managed to sneak in.

I second the recommendation. ?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm not doing an article, but the director Tarantino has soured me with a past film or two, and trailers from others, with a kind of soul-less, nihilistic glee. As in Pulp Fiction where a condo full of undoubtedly foolish college boys are gunned down for absconding with a briefcase full of (we are left to guess) some kind of super valuable drugs. The rest of the movie is a festival of death. One street kid is blown away by shear fumbling with a weapon and a high cost fixer comes in to clean up the mess, specifically, his remains. After two hours of that -- beautifully colorfully dramatically presented -- I was really put off Quentin and his high art. His recent ninth movie, "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," has all of his pizzazz, jubilant color and cinematography, and primo acting (Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie) to spin a fantasy to redress exactly the kind of gratuitous violence the director has (to my sense) jubilantly celebrated. It's a re-do in the imagination of one of the horror crimes of Hollywood history, re-visulized with a better outcome, if violent. I recommend it.

Unlike you I really liked Pulp Fiction, that and Reservoir Dogs are two of my favourite movies from the 90's.
I haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet, it's definitely on my to watch list though.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle

I particularly enjoyed Brad Pitt's character. I got the vibe from all his scars (that were shown early in the movie) he was some kind of WWII veteran, and from his hand to hand skills most likely a special ops badass (Airborne? Ranger? Marine?) Hence the ease with which he sparred against Bruce Lee and the ending fight while high out of his mind lol.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seemed to me like Tarantino has finally discovered a moral center without giving up his darkness of heart. I lost faith in the "hero" of Pulp Fiction in the first twenty minutes. In "Once Upon A Time," much evil is reversed by a beautiful sloppy female attack dog who rewrites the script in her own toothy way. I had to love her. Also her sloppy goopy scenes dining on canned and dry food. She's a really good actor, and I'm not being romantic or cute. She grabs the screen.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Unlike you I really liked Pulp Fiction, that and Reservoir Dogs are two of my favourite movies from the 90's.
I haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet, it's definitely on my to watch list though.
I second those two. Wonderful films and stories.
I've found much of his work to be form over function, so to speak. Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained. They are set pieces with much emphasis on the visual and the audio, while the actual storytelling lags behind.
But I'll watch this one. If anything, Tarantino knows how to entertain and keep an audience awake. Sometimes, he's even good.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah i agree, this last of his movies is among his best. Im a fan tho, i have liked all of them, the Kill Bills maybe not so much, but yeah, Once Upon a Time is, imo, one of the best movies ever made.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've found much of his work to be form over function, so to speak. Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained. They are set pieces with much emphasis on the visual and the audio, while the actual storytelling lags behind.
But I'll watch this one. If anything, Tarantino knows how to entertain and keep an audience awake. Sometimes, he's even good.

Yeah I didn't like Kill Bill either, or Jackie Brown. I did like Inglorious Basterds though, even if it was a little less than historically accurate?.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
It was fun to see some of the regular cast get back together again. Really the best use of a flame thrower in cinema. Bruce Dern stealing a scene from Pitt was great. Well trained dog and some other funny bits. I love how Quentin always makes me laugh knowing full well some really dark stuff is coming.
Hateful Eight anyone? Kurt Russel is smoking his own Mastro de Paja.

Reactions: whsergent

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I think he is brilliant. The only movies I buy on blu ray without thinking about it. OUATIH is fantastic. The sets and the costumes are perfect. Let's face it, the flame thrower is SO OVER THE TOP that all you can do is sit with your mouth agape and watch it.

His re-writes of history always have the good guy winning in the end. Now, that's Hollywood!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Pitt's "arrivah durci" was the only good thing I enjoyed with "Inglorious".

At some point in Mr. Tarantino's young life, he must have once picked up a dime-store comic book and decided he liked it.

Most of his movies watch like how those comics read.

Reactions: BROBS

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have not seen Once Upon a Time yet, but I have enjoyed all of his films except for “From Dusk Til Dawn” and “The Hateful Eight.” Pulp Fiction I particularly enjoyed as a redemption story of both Bruce Willis‘s and Samuel L Jackson‘s characters. Violent and gratuitous, but nevertheless a great insight into the change of man when forced into a crossroads of belief/lifestyle. Thanks for the post, MSO, I will have to check it out!

Jun 9, 2018
England
Pitt's "arrivah durci" was the only good thing I enjoyed with "Inglorious".

At some point in Mr. Tarantino's young life, he must have once picked up a dime-store comic book and decided he liked it.

Most of his movies watch like how those comics read.

He's definitely got a distinctive style. Family Guy took him off, they had it down to a T.

• Haha

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I consider his films up to and including Kill Bill to be very good. He's gone steadily down hill since then IMO.

I have not seen OUATIH yet, but will eventually. Hopefully it's an improvement over the last few.

I give those first films a lot of credit for being creative and original, but it doesn't take much of that to stand out in the modern Hollywood wasteland of poor writing and contrived remakes, sequels...and endless comic book "superhero" movies. YAWN.

Personally I much prefer the Coen brothers films to Tarantino's.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've been a Tarantino fan since Reservoir Dogs, and I think Once Upon a Time is one of his best. It's a little tricky since it's so meta (even more than his previous films), and I doubt there are very many people who can recognize most of the allusions and subtexts. The movie is one long string of visual quotations, so it can be a little obscure. But even though I can only half-ass understand it as art, I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a great comeback after Hateful 8, which didn't do much for me. Guess I'm in the minority here, as I thought Basterds was hilarious and great fun. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything with a lot of Nazi-killing, and that movie has some glorious Nazi-killing.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I more or less love most of his movies. Still think Pulp Fiction is great. But Hollywood was actually a feel good manson movie and I loved it. Now go watch 1917 for an entirely different experience. Loved that one maybe even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.