PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Navojoa

Lurker
Apr 25, 2022
I love a good, well made briar as much as the next fellow, but there is definitely something to be said for a decent corn cob pipe. But the bits ... Those nasty, damn plastic bits!

I've always thought that somebody should make a vulcanite bit to replace the plastic ones in corn cobs. You'd keep the bit and move it from pipe to pipe. I think the mortise and tenon are pretty much standard and the same measurement on every corn cob (at least if it's a Missouri Meerschaum), so it doesn't seem that that'd be an issue.

Does anybody know if that's ever been done commercially? If so, where?

Navojoa

Lurker
Apr 25, 2022
WHOA! I just answered my own question. Looks like somebody has thought of it!

I found a product on-line that does exactly this. The ones I stumbled across are EA Carey products, made of "propionate plastic" and look to be exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps they're available here, too. I confess that I hadn't looked and just stumbled on this one. I really didn't think that anybody had done it.

There are versions for filtered and non-filtered mortise and tenon configurations, apparently. Nice.

Last edited:

Navojoa

Lurker
Apr 25, 2022
Sorry to be dragging this out, but does anybody know if the "propionate plastic" is the same material used in the original bits that come with the pipes? I'm thinking about something like a nice vulcanite bit that will last through a lifetime of corn cobs. If the "propionate plastic" is the same, it kind of defeats my purpose.

Reactions: Friendly Piper
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
These are the most popular option

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the same problem with the basic MM cob stems. I chew through the soft plastic stems and have to replace them. Years ago, I refitted four of my cobs with Forever stems. These are acrylic, not Vulcanite, but are superior to the soft plastic. The Forever outfit has changed hands but still makes these replacement stems. In recent years, MM has come out with special edition pipes that have acrylic stems.

These are more expensive, about $26, but easily worth the price to me. In the past MM made a few more expensive pipes with Vulcanite stems, like their freehand, but I'm not aware of any currently offered. Some people are perfectly happy with the soft plastic. They're not chewers like me. But the answer is, there are replacement stems for MM cobs, and some of their pipes come with acrylic stems.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
These are the most popular option

I was going to recommend the same thing. Forever Stems from Vermont Freehand.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
If you like the MM Country Gentleman (or other cobs with the same sized bit), Boswell Pipes usually have a selection of cobs for which they made custom bits. When you wear out the cob, just get a regular Country Gent and switch the bit. I find them to be a very good quality comfortable bit (which is to be expected as they make their own line of pipes). Currently they only have a couple churchwarden length ones, but they are always adding new ones.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Got a couple original forever stems, and a couple from Vermont freehand before they took over the forever stems. High quality but not really my thing. They don't provide the open draw I like with my cobs. Too much gurgle.

My favorite stems are the MM Danish bits. Seemingly higher quality plastic. Softer material. Wide open.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The reed stems come on Old Dominion pipes which are now owned by the MM outfit, though I think they may still be made by the brothers in Virginia who originated them. Or maybe the brothers still grow the cob stock. MM cobs used to come with reed stems, or some did, back in the 1950's; my dad used to buy them.

Mar 1, 2014
The 80 cent plastic bits from Missouri Meerschaum are some of the best designed pipe stems you will ever find, the engineering in the airway on those injection molded stems is on par with the best artisan pipes, and finding anything better is a case of diminishing returns to the extreme.

It's like asking someone to paint a copy of the Mona Lisa by hand instead of taking a modern re-print, machines can do in seconds what requires the greatest skill and labor from human hands.

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a couple of the original Forever Stems, I really like em. An old MM pipe left to me from my FIL that has what appears to be a glass mouthpiece, it’s round even at the button and is ivory colored. Not a clencher.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I personally hate the cheap plastic stems that come with MM cobs and have slowly changed over to the acrylic Forever Stems. I couldn't be happier. Forever Stems has language on their website suggesting that vulcanite stems that fit MM cobs are "coming soon," but that message has been up for quite a while and emails inquiring as to when they'll be available have gone unanswered.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
MM makes some pipes that come with acrylic stems to begin with, but they cost a little more. I figured out that it was cheaper to buy a MM with acrylic stem and use the stem on whichever cob I may be smoking at the time. The aftermarket acrylic stems cost just a bit more than the Emerald pipe which has an acrylic stem to begin with.

Here is a picture of my Mark Twain model with the acrylic stem from an Emerald (also MM).

image.jpg

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I like the original MM plastic stems because you can chew hell out of them. When they become too gnarly to use without gagging, replacement is simple and cheap. Sharp edges and flashing that you sometimes encounter can be removed with wet or dry sandpaper, say 400 grit or so. But the acrylic stems are great, and I have several.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Got a couple original forever stems, and a couple from Vermont freehand before they took over the forever stems. High quality but not really my thing. They don't provide the open draw I like with my cobs. Too much gurgle.

My favorite stems are the MM Danish bits. Seemingly higher quality plastic. Softer material. Wide open.
I do the danish bits too, try them out before coughing up for the forever stems.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I have a very general question: I just received a Missouri Meerschaum diplomat and tried to remove the stem. It turns but does not come off. Are these stems non-removable ?