PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Anyone ever heard of these pyrolitic graphite pipes?

seems like some additional cancer risk but also seems kinda nifty

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
There were a number of pipes made of that material, notably "The Pipe" back in the 70s. I never owned one but by reputation they were pretty lousy. The main problem seemed to be the material was not porous.

Reactions: OzPiper
Graphite has a VERY high resistance to heat, which is why it gets used in so many rocket parts and jet engines. I ordered some sheets of graphite to line the walls behind my metal melting furnace to protect the walls, because of this, but what I didn't realize is that there is a huge difference between "resistance" and "insulations." It absorbs and keeps hot all the heat that you can give it. But, it absorbs it and holds it. I started noticing that the wall behind the graphite would start smoking after running my furnace for just a few minutes. I removed the graphite to find that the wall had burned away. Aye yi yi!!!

As for using it in a pipe, I imagine that it absorbs the heat, probably giving you a cooler smoke, but will most likely start to burn your fingers after a while, and will most likely retain that heat for hours after you've smoked it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then there is Brylon. Not so good, but you can wash it in a dishpan and hammer nails with it. I don't own one, but some on Forums like it for its durability and ease of cleaning when smoked in dirty work places.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not all asbestos is dangerous. And, graphite is perfectly safe... it just makes a horrible pipe.
asbestos is dangerous in one way. When it's broken particles get into the air and then go into the lungs and stay there. If you didn't bang or scrap up the pipe it would probably be safe.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
asbestos is dangerous in one way. When it's broken particles get into the air and then go into the lungs and stay there. If you didn't bang or scrap up the pipe it would probably be safe.
Exactly right. I was amazed when my local school district started removing floor tiles containing asbestos in an "abatement" program. I went to them and tried to explain that if the tiles were intact, firmly adhered, and not broken it would be better to lay new floorcovering over them, as the removal process would create friable asbestos everywhere. I was told, "you don't understand..." (something that for some reason just pisses me off - as many times as I've hears it)