PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
First, I am happy for finding this site!
I would like a tip from some of you more seasoned pipe smokers.
I live in Europe and here we travel a lot by train. So I find myself sitting and waiting for trains or walking to different stations wishing I could be enjoying my pipe to make the time more pleasant.
Only problem is that smoking a bowl takes too long, and I don't want to dump out any good tobacco or stuff the unfinished thing in my pocket to make a mess or even burn holes if it's not out all the way (had this happen to a friend of mine).
I've searched for tips and I only find people saying that it's ok to sit the pipe down and relight it later, which is practical at home, but not so much when moving around!
I am grateful for any tips.

Jul 15, 2011
I remember hearing someone say on a video a long time ago that if you cover the bowl completely with your hand and let no airflow through, then take a couple of puffs, the pipe will go out almost immediately. I dont know whether or not this is true but its worth giving it a shot. Give me a few minutes and let me see if I can find the video for you because I think it covers the exact kind of thing you are looking for.
EDIT: I think this is the video that I was referring to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvqBeNS3Z4

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
You need to buy a windcap, about $2. Tamp the pipe out, then put the windcap on. Then put the pipe in your pocket and it will keep the tobacco from falling out. If you can't find a windcap, then get a wine cork, that will fit in your pipe. This might solve your problem.
Winton

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Both good suggestions.
I have actually tried extinguishing the tobacco with my hand. It is not a great option because sometimes I don't have time to smoke the tobacco down far enough to safely be able to put my hand over the bowl for the time it takes for it to go out. Only thing worse than burnt pants is a burnt hand!

(well... maybe)
I will try the windcap.
Thank you for the responses.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I try to avoid this situation, but when needed I make sure the pipe is out with my hand or thumb and stuff it upright in my coat pocket and hope for the best.
I have got a pocket full of ash once or twice, but I have never set myself on fire.
Best of luck to you.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Find a coin that fits your bowl, push it down, take a pipe cleaner wrap it around your finger , push the pipe cleaner coil on top of the coin, when you put pipe up it will not ash your pocket works for me on my tractor when I need both hands. The old cajun

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I remember I was at a bus stop and a guy infront of me was enjoying a bowl, the bus came and he didnt even try to put it out, just had one last puff, then straight in his coat pocket!
You need to buy a windcap, about $2
I would agree with that, windcaps are handy little bits, you can get ones with springs that fit different size bowls too.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Im with the just take one last puff and then get on the train idea. I have always just tamped one last time and carried the pipe on to the bus or train. It may not be completely extinguished but its not belching out smoke either. I used to carry a zippo which was great for capping over the bowl till it eventually cooled down and completely extinguished. Then wrap a piece of foil around it, put a wind cap over it, put a cork in it or any other method you can think of to prevent it from spilling and stuff it in your pocket.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I believe that Savinelli has a model that comes with a cap (that plugs the top). Can't recall which model (might be the "Orient")? Maybe someone here can recall the model for me.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Savinelli Tortuga come with a true top for travel...
A nice cumberland stem also

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Well I've found a cone shaped cork and it seems to be the best of all worlds. I can put it in my pipe and it will put out the tobacco pretty quickly while keeping the tobacco and ash in, it fits most pipes due to shape, and it's portable and inexpensive.
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'll stick around and discuss, maybe even ask a few more newbie questions 8)
Happy smoking everybody. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.