PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's mostly the way I smoke, intermittently. I'll leave a packed partially smoked pipe for a half day, or overnight, or sometimes a few days, and come back and light up. Two or three times year, this won't work, but the rest of the time, it is just fine. The dryness of the leaf is good; the flavor is good. It's pleasant to have a pipe all packed and ready to go. If I threw away every chamber full of pipe tobacco I hadn't finished, it would be expensive and wasteful, not to mention unnecessary.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It's mentioned in the Sherlock stories that in the morning he would gather all the dottle from the day before and that was his first smoke of the day. Years ago I tried something similar. When I emptied my ashtray, which was about once a week... it was a big ashtray...I ran the ash through a tea strainer and tried smoking what was left. As to whether this worked or not to make a good smoke depends on how much man you are. As for me, I guess I'm king of the weenies.... puffy

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
It's mentioned in the Sherlock stories that in the morning he would gather all the dottle from the day before and that was his first smoke of the day. Years ago I tried something similar. When I emptied my ashtray, which was about once a week... it was a big ashtray...I ran the ash through a tea strainer and tried smoking what was left. As to whether this worked or not to make a good smoke depends on how much man you are. As for me, I guess I'm king of the weenies.... puffy
I salute your honorable efforts

Reactions: Akoni808 and mingc

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Nope.
If I put it down, I'm done with it.
Dottle/leftover tobacco gets dumped.
Pipe gets cleaned and put away
No leaving out pipes all over the house

A carry-over habit when I was smoking cigars exclusively for 15 years
Relighting a cold cigar is a no-no (at least for me). Tastes like :poop:

I know others do differently, and even find that the flavour improves.
Different strokes
Yeah when it comes to cigars I’ll toss them even if it’s been a relatively short time unlit. I have yet to experience any flavor improvement.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Often have put one down for 5 minutes to, occasionally, 2-3 days. Most often it's fine to my palate, but must be more than the last 1/3 or so of bowl left, otherwise very likely to be ashy/bad/stale.

Usually done with English, sometimes VA blends.

This is called the Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT), and many of us do it on purpose. It works best with Virginias. However, if you don't like it, then don't, ha ha.
But, I will pack a pipe for breakfast the night before, do a charring light, set it down and go off to bed. The tobacco is slightly stoved and sweeter. I also enjoy picking up a pipe that I have set down a few days before and smoking it again, trying to guess which blend it was. Hones my tasting skills. YMMV

manny816

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2020
Central NJ USA
Every night before bed I start a bowl and put it down for the next morning. I generally tend to pick out moist tobacco. It will dry out overnight. 9 x out of ten it's always great the next day.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
OK, so I finished a bowl last night, after starting it Monday night.
Monday, I got the charring light going. Got the re-light, after that I had something to attend to and put my pipe down.
Tuesday night, I didn't get the chance to light up, worked late, etc.
So, Wednesday afternoon, I was able to get home early. Grabbed a cold one and my pipe and managed finish what was in effect a full bowl. Was good too.