PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Do you guys like smoking a bowl and then putting down to pick it back up later to smoke the remainder?

I’ve noticed that every time I do this, the tobacco becomes really harsh… is there something I’m doing wrong?

Reactions: Papamique

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
During the week I’m constantly putting down a Lee full of candy flavored aromatics to answer the phone or dictate to an assistant.

I might have two or three pipes in different rooms out, and one lit in my hand.

I really don’t notice any change on relights.

Smoke half a bowl, then let it sit overnight... ;)

When he said, putting it down, the only thing that came to mind, is letting it sit over night.

Every blend I’ve smoked half a bowl of, then let it sit overnight, typically took on a more robust character.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nope.
If I put it down, I'm done with it.
Dottle/leftover tobacco gets dumped.
Pipe gets cleaned and put away
No leaving out pipes all over the house

A carry-over habit when I was smoking cigars exclusively for 15 years
Relighting a cold cigar is a no-no (at least for me). Tastes like :poop:

I know others do differently, and even find that the flavour improves.
Different strokes

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
During the week I’m constantly putting down a Lee full of candy flavored aromatics to answer the phone or dictate to an assistant.

I might have two or three pipes in different rooms out, and one lit in my hand.

I really don’t notice any change on relights.
I have one of my many assistants take the first 2 puffs on a re lit pipe to tell me hoe it’s smoking, i just does, with the chance of harshness 🤪

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Through the work day I'll have a large pipe on my golf cart that I keep loaded up and puff on in-between running service request. It might sit for anywhere between 5-50 mins before lighting again. The few times where I've let it sit 3 or more hours it definitely goes stale and ashy.

Reactions: Akoni808 and mingc

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
When I started with pipes and had no technique I'd get the wood pretty hot and had to let it cool down for about half an hour. Now I barely put it down because I don't like it when the pipe just sits there.
It either has to be in use or be cleaned up and put where I belongs.
Perhaps I knocked it over and spilled the ashes on my table one too many times.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Never finish a pipe at one sitting. Will smoke for a bit, put it down, and come back to it later. May be a span of hours to days. Typically, will dump the ash before re-lighting. Do this till the end of the bowl. I could have two or three in some stage of progress.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
A bit contrary to others, I find putting a bowl down for a few hours can have a harsh effect sometimes. Just depends on the initial moisture of the tobacco for me. If it's thouroughly(more like very) dried and I attempt to smoke a bit, it's best finished in a few hours from light up. I find waiting 5 hours or more just dries out largely what was already dried to begin with, and it usually never gets better or smoother.

Though I mostly smoke Englishes. Virginia combos seem to hold up well as well as Burleys for waiting for later, when I did smoke Burleys. Aros will change as the additives seemingly evaporate and leave you with normal tasting tobacco. Subjectivety and all. Your mileage will vary.

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I always smoke a pipe with the intention of finishing it in one sitting. If I put it down I'm generally done with it. There have been a few occasions where the pipe has sat for 30 minutes or so before I got back to it. The pipe smoked just fine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other that the difficulty of handling a small pipe, I smoke overly large pipes to enjoy a very long or to smoke off and on at work between assignments and breaks.