PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I did say: and other humectants.
Actually, it should be: and/or.
Laugh all you want, mate. Like I care.
I know BS in my tobacco when I see it , touch it and (try to) smoke it.
This ain't my first rodeo, cowboy.
I would definitely stay away from SG/GH if I were you.
On my first rodeo I learned tins were a suckers game.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv and Andriko

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Well.. because he’s been to at least 2 rodeos. Some people are just impossible to please. The best thing would be to grow your own at this point if you are that displeased, all the tobacco out there sucks these days anyway. ;)
But then you have to holler at the mirror.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
If you purchased Samuel Gawith tins during this last drop, be sure to remove the plastic shrink wrap around the lid and inspect the seal. Odds are, the tin is not sealed and you will need to find some other way of storing the tobacco to avoid it drying out. Upon removing the shrink wrap on a tin I just received, the lid of the tin flew off.

This was the case with the last Samuel Gawith drop in which 9 out of 10 tins I purchased at that time were only held closed by the shrinkwrap. Only 1 tin out of those 10 had maintained its seal. I guess that one lone tin slipped through the QA/QC cracks at G&H? Either way, that's why I only bought one tin this go-'round - I intend on smoking it immediately.

I'm done buying Samuel Gawith in tins. Done. I recently scored some older (circa 2015) Best Brown Flake tins from Steve Fallon's excellent website and each one still was sealed. Not sure what's going on with these new tins, but I'm only buying Samuel Gawith by the box, if we ever see them again.

Disclaimer: YMMV
I am with you other than I’d like a tin of Golden Glow to see if it suits me. All other stuff from them I switched to bulk. I like the pocketability of the rectangular tins but I don‘t smoke fast enough to justify the hassle. And I don’t always feel like jarring stuff at this point. I’ve got more jars of tobacco than Word has fonts at this point and I don’t want my shelf to collapse.

And as a general inquiry to others can anyone tell me if the X & XX designations on SG and GH mean anything? I thought it may denote strong and extra strong but I can’t tell. Nicotine doesn’t really register with me unless I accidentally inhale a cigar.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting. All I saw her say here and on other forums was that they WERE sealed, which contradicted what her customers were saying as well as my own personal experience. Funny that the tins, while somewhat problematic over the years, mostly held their seal until they started using these new ones. These new tins are garbage.
she also said they had some issues and are working to fix it. And that they have to hire someone to make the tins and it didn't work out so well.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
I bought a couple of tins of Ennerdale Flake. Those flakes are so moist they can stay in that unsealed tin for months and still be on the moist side. Bulk tends to be a bit better in that dept for SG.