PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
If you purchased Samuel Gawith tins during this last drop, be sure to remove the plastic shrink wrap around the lid and inspect the seal. Odds are, the tin is not sealed and you will need to find some other way of storing the tobacco to avoid it drying out. Upon removing the shrink wrap on a tin I just received, the lid of the tin flew off.

This was the case with the last Samuel Gawith drop in which 9 out of 10 tins I purchased at that time were only held closed by the shrinkwrap. Only 1 tin out of those 10 had maintained its seal. I guess that one lone tin slipped through the QA/QC cracks at G&H? Either way, that's why I only bought one tin this go-'round - I intend on smoking it immediately.

I'm done buying Samuel Gawith in tins. Done. I recently scored some older (circa 2015) Best Brown Flake tins from Steve Fallon's excellent website and each one still was sealed. Not sure what's going on with these new tins, but I'm only buying Samuel Gawith by the box, if we ever see them again.

Disclaimer: YMMV

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Rachel from Gawith stated that the tins arent meant for long term storage on the last drop. She recommended to put them into jars.

Interesting. All I saw her say here and on other forums was that they WERE sealed, which contradicted what her customers were saying as well as my own personal experience. Funny that the tins, while somewhat problematic over the years, mostly held their seal until they started using these new ones. These new tins are garbage.

Reactions: twoonefive

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Rectangular tins have always been suspect.

I know SG started sourcing tins from a new vendor a few years back. I think the original vendor went out of business.

The tins are meant to hold product and keep it fresh for reasonable amount of time while in transit and sitting on a retailer’s shelf. They aren’t hermetically sealed or intended to be stored for decades.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Thanks for the heads up! Perfe
If you purchased Samuel Gawith tins during this last drop, be sure to remove the plastic shrink wrap around the lid and inspect the seal. Odds are, the tin is not sealed and you will need to find some other way of storing the tobacco to avoid it drying out. Upon removing the shrink wrap on a tin I just received, the lid of the tin flew off.

This was the case with the last Samuel Gawith drop in which 9 out of 10 tins I purchased at that time were only held closed by the shrinkwrap. Only 1 tin out of those 10 had maintained its seal. I guess that one lone tin slipped through the QA/QC cracks at G&H? Either way, that's why I only bought one tin this go-'round - I intend on smoking it immediately.

I'm done buying Samuel Gawith in tins. Done. I recently scored some older (circa 2015) Best Brown Flake tins from Steve Fallon's excellent website and each one still was sealed. Not sure what's going on with these new tins, but I'm only buying Samuel Gawith by the box, if we ever see them again.

Thanks for the heads up ! Perfect timing !

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas

If this is true, this is rubbish!
The recipe has not changed, etc., my arse.
They smother the tobacco with PG and other humectants.
The last tin of G&H I tried to smoke (yes, tried) a few months back was bone dry and had so
much PG it was unsmokeable.
And now, they don't even vacuum seal their tins?
Bullocks!
I had a pouch of St Bruno and Amphora open for over 8 weeks.
The tobacco was still almost damp and was still moist, even when packed overnight without
a preliminary light.
Same with the MB Vanilla Roll Cake.
The Solani Aged Burley Flake.
Wessex Burley Slice.
And I won't even mention C & D and GL Pease, the champs of dry tobacco loaded with PG.
I want tobacco, not PG.
The sad state the pipe tobacco industry is in over the last 2-3 years.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: craig61a

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Interesting. All I saw her say here and on other forums was that they WERE sealed, which contradicted what her customers were saying as well as my own personal experience. Funny that the tins, while somewhat problematic over the years, mostly held their seal until they started using these new ones. These new tins are garbage.
So has their tobacco become, be them SG or G & H!

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Rectangular tins have always been suspect.

I know SG started sourcing tins from a new vendor a few years back. I think the original vendor went out of business.

The tins are meant to hold product and keep it fresh for reasonable amount of time while in transit and sitting on a retailer’s shelf. They aren’t hermetically sealed or intended to be stored for decades.
I have Peterson, Wessex and SG rectangular tins that are 10 years + and they're all still absolutely well sealed.
I think producers are just going cheap on us. Like everything else.

Reactions: Kobold

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Unfortunately I was behind on the sealing issue, as it wasn't initially reported/addressed when I first bought the bulk of my SG tins (maybe a year and a half ago?).

I've opened up tins from sealed mylar recently that look to have molded before being sealed. Loose/easily opened lids on those that have the mold.

Oh well, life goes on.

• Sad
Reactions: pantsBoots
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If this is true, this is rubbish!
The recipe has not changed, etc., my arse.
They smother the tobacco with PG and other humectants.
The last tin of G&H I tried to smoke (yes, tried) a few months back was bone dry and had so
much PG it was unsmokeable.
And now, they don't even vacuum seal their tins?
Bullocks!
I had a pouch of St Bruno and Amphora open for over 8 weeks.
The tobacco was still almost damp and was still moist, even when packed overnight without
a preliminary light.
Same with the MB Vanilla Roll Cake.
The Solani Aged Burley Flake.
Wessex Burley Slice.
And I won't even mention C & D and GL Pease, the champs of dry tobacco loaded with PG.
I want tobacco, not PG.
The sad state the pipe tobacco industry is in over the last 2-3 years.
Probably hard to dry your tobacco out living under the water I guess. Iv never had any issues drying tobacco out from any of the manufactures you list. It all gets nice and crispy.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Unfortunately I was behind on the sealing issue, as it wasn't initially reported/addressed when I first bought the bulk of my SG tins (maybe a year and a half ago?).

I've opened up tins from sealed mylar recently that look to have molded before being sealed. Loose/easily opened lids on those that have the mold.

Oh well, life goes on.
There was an issue at about that time of tins and boxes having a mold problem. If I recall, a number of retailers were opening the boxes for inspection before sending them out to customers.

Reactions: spicy_boiii

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
And PG on GLP bends? Now I'm laughing.
I did say: and other humectants.
Actually, it should be: and/or.
Laugh all you want, mate. Like I care.
I know BS in my tobacco when I see it , touch it and (try to) smoke it.
This ain't my first rodeo, cowboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: condorlover1