PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
One tobacco tastes the same to me regardless of the pipe I smoke it in so I assign pipes to blends that aesthetically match. Example, Deep Hollow evokes Autumn for me for some reason as do acorns so I have an acorn dedicated to that blend.
Pipes get assigned tobacco for me based on the way they smoke or taste in that shape, and also according to complete whimsy for myriad fun reasons. Capstan in the Auenland, Cult BRM in the dracula, etc.

A blend smoking better in one shape or another could be completely psychological, related to extraneous variables, or totally coincidental for all I know, but I just go where the wind takes me. If it works don’t fix it, etc. I don’t strictly adhere to anything other than blend type though. Some are english pipes, others VA, others aro, others anything. Pipes dedicated to specific blends are certainly not the only pipes I smoke said blends in, they just only get that blend themselves. I mix it up.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
New Smokers,

After a long stint in the cigar world, I began smoking pipes in April of 2019, a mere 7 months ago. To say I have been enthusiastic about my entrance to the hobby would be an understatement. Aggressive, Reckless, Passionate, Foolhardy, Frivolous, and "Balls to the Walls" are probably more accurate. As a result, I wanted to share an important observation that I think may be valuable to newer pipe smokers. This is a personal opinion, and I welcome the opinions of smokers with far more experience than I in this thread, as I believe all decisions should be made with as many opinions and as much information as possible.

My simple observation in my experience so far, having owned pipes in nearly every price point between $5 and $700 from a variety of makers in this time, is that new pipe smokers (or any pipe smokers for that matter) simply do not need to spend significant amounts of money on new pipes. Now, I'm sure you are thinking, "of course not, there are estates and cobs out there!" which is both a valid point, and an option that should probably be utilized with all the various benefits and detriments they can provide. But I want to talk about today is the myriad options out there for the pipe smoker for NEW BRIAR at a reasonable price that will smoke as well as many pipes in higher price points.

In my limited experience so far, I have found that beyond good drilling, decent briar, and reasonable construction, there is little benefit to be had in paying for expensive pipes beyond aesthetic attachment and artisan sculpting. While these do hold value (there is little prettier in this world than a beautifully carved piece of wood with exceptional straight grain or birdseye) they are absolutely not necessary to a good smoking experience.

However, knowing where to find decent smokers at a bargain price is not something that comes without a significant amount of research, trial, and expense either. For that reason, I have compiled what I find to be a good amount of the best options for reliable, decent quality pipes that I wish I had known about prior to starting to collect a rotation. I would encourage all new smokers (and experienced smokers looking for good work horse burners) to investigate the following options.

Genod

A french pipe maker in the birthplace of the Briar pipe, St. Claude, France. I am listing Genod first because I find them to be, quite simply put, the best Value in briar pipes on the market today. French makers don't get a lot of recognition these days, and that is understandable given some of the pipes that have come out of the country, but Genod in my opinion is a clear exception. In fact, I have heard it mentioned that Dunhill even attempted to reproduce many of their shapes for their own line back in the day. Many of their pipes don't have the prettiest Briar, but in picking through them you can find some that do. More importantly, every pipe I have touched from Genod tends to have perfect drilling, thick chamber walls, great shaping, and excellent construction, even in the price range of $50-$100.

002-628-0834.6638.jpg

Rossi

Rossi pipes are made by Savinelli, well known to be one of the most prominent makers on the planet and for good reason. They are available in price points as low as $40 in both rusticated and smooth finishes, and you will find them to have the same excellent drilling and construction as most Savinelli pipes, although they are not quite as pretty to look at. A huge benefit of Rossi is the exceptional amount of various shapes and sizes they can be found in.

002-577-5782.7019.jpg

Brigham

Although originally a Canadian Company, these pipes are now manufactured in either Italy or France. With mostly classic, but unique shaping, they are constructed very well and are available in a variety of finishes in price points from $40-$100. The quality of their pipes is absolutely fine, but I have made a point to include them on this list as they come with an ingenious rock maple filter system that will still pass a pipe cleaner for those who prefer a filter.

002-491-3165.9960.jpg

Tsuge

Tsuge pipes are quite famous for their higher end offerings, such as the Ikebana line. However, they do offer a line of very affordable pipes called "The Tasting". These pipes are often a simple black sandblast, in only a few shapes such as billiards and mini stacks, but they have excellent construction and drilling, are super lightweight, and make excellent work horse rotation pipes for around $50.

002-099-6649.2057.jpg

Chacom

Opinions on Chacom pipes vary, but they are generally well respected smoking devices. I have included them on this list not only for that reason, but also because they have a huge selection of various shapes and finishes for those looking for more specificity in a work horse pipe, and because many of their affordable pipes actually DO have some nice aesthetics and are available in a very wide variety of shapes and finishes.

002-512-4144.7263.jpg

Ropp

Another french maker, supposedly utilizing a good amount of old stock Chacom Briar to produce their more affordable lines. These pipes are generally well constructed, and are offered in a variety of shapes with some of the better sandblasts I've seen on cheaper pipes. I have included them in this list specifically because the pipes they produce in their low end lines are extremely lightweight, which I would strongly recommend for a newer smoker to practice clenching.

002-598-7365.3495.jpg

Scott's Pipes

Full disclosure, I do not own one of Scott Klein's new "Burner" series pipes, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt. What I have done, is consult people I find to be reliable on their experience with them, and I have heard nothing but good things. Given the pipes origins, this is not a surprise. These pipes are not particularly pretty, and are only available in a few shapes, but from what I've heard are very well constructed and in an unbeatable price point of around $50.

002-832-0114.3820.jpg

Chris Morgan Bones

These pipes are showing up more and more and gaining rapidly in popularity and for good reason. The Bones line from Chris Morgan are made with good briar, and usually a good sandblast, and demonstrate absolutely perfect construction and drilling. You will find flaws in these pipes. Little pits, etc and the pipes come in a natural finish. They are aesthetically pleasing and available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for $45-60.

bones_dd1_1__59313.1569864396.JPG

So there you are. A list of what I find to be the best options out there for cheap, reliable burners that will smoke as well as almost anything. Another thing I would add is that I would strongly recommend buying straight stemmed pipes from any of these makers. You are much more likely to get good drilling on a straight pipe, and lets face it, when you get down into this price point good drilling is not always a given. Straight stemmed pipes may limit your exposure to drilling issues.

To add a little more personal opinion and provide a jumping off point, if I had to pick three of these makers that I am most happy with, and would recommend first, I would go with Genod, Rossi, and Chris Morgan Bones. I think these are the most reliable and well constructed of the above options, as well as the most aesthetically pleasing.

Okay folks. Please fire away with critiques, other suggestions, huge omissions, corrections, and all the varying and conflicting opinions that will undoubtedly arise from the pool!

Agreed on the Chris Morgan Bones. I have two and both are good smokers.
Also have several Brighams and they too smoke fine.

For estate pipes, I can recommend The Guildhalls. I have two, both won for under $100 and they smoke very well.

However, my best smokers are an Amorelli (New) and almost every one of my 1950-1960 Dunhills and then come my Barlings Ye Olde Woods.

My 2 cents

Reactions: bnichols23

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll take an estate GBD or Comoy's over most mid-price new pipes, just for the stemwork alone. But, the need cleaned and some might have stubborn ghosts, so that route is not for everyone.
The estate option is also one I have utilized (alot!) and some higher quality gems can certainly be found that way for comparable prices, and I would strongly encourage everyone to utilize that option in addition to more affordable new pipes to enjoy. I think they both certainly have their benefits.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm conflicted about estate pipes. I know that I have a habit of keeping all my good smokers and selling off all the crappy ones. I'm sure this practice is very common among pipe smokers. This makes me wonder if the majority of the estate market is made up of inferior pipes.

I'm conflicted about estate pipes. I know that I have a habit of keeping all my good smokers and selling off all the crappy ones.
There is no objective "good or bad" in pipes. It either fits your style of smoking, or not. And, to some, the smoker changes things to adjust to how the pipe smokes best. There really is no such thing as a bad pipe... unless of course it has something REALLY wrong with it, like a burnt hole in the side of the chamber or a draft hole that comes out the side of the stem. puffy

So, what one person finds as a bad pipe, another might think is the best pipe of their collection. YMMV

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm conflicted about estate pipes. I know that I have a habit of keeping all my good smokers and selling off all the crappy ones. I'm sure this practice is very common among pipe smokers. This makes me wonder if the majority of the estate market is made up of inferior pipes.
Good point, but I would suspect much of the older estate from 60-70ies are simply those whose primary owner has either passed away or stopped smoking altogether and this way those pipes eventually would end up in the estate pipe market

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good write up, and sound advice,I will look closer at these Genod pipes,nontheless this brand is very seldom presented in the EU market unless one is not living in France,I will bring here to your notice the Genod manufacturer home' page ,and yes they do have an online shop there>MaitrePipier.Fr
Ps, if I was a man of considerable means, I'd only buy either brand new Castellos and White spot(read:Dunhill) pipes or Artisan make ones)

Reactions: dcon and burleyboy
Mar 1, 2014
I'll go ahead and give a shout out to James Barber and their B-Line pipes: Buy New Barber B Line Pipes Online Page 1 - J.N. Barber Limited - https://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Barber_B-Line-p1.html
They just got a new shipment in and I've never seen so many models in stock at once.

I've got about six of them now (two in the mail).

Stem quality is very average as far as Vulcanite goes (smells a bit more sulphuric than higher quality stems), but the sandblasts are fabulous for the money. Basically on the same level as pipes costing 5x more.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good point, but I would suspect much of the older estate from 60-70ies are simply those whose primary owner has either passed away or stopped smoking altogether and this way those pipes eventually would end up in the estate pipe market
This is probably true. In addition, I'm sure a lot of people just want to cut down on their collection. I'll be getting rid of some soon that are perfectly fine smokers, they just aren't my favorite shapes or I find myself not using them very often. For someone else they may be ideal.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll go ahead and give a shout out to James Barber and their B-Line pipes: Buy New Barber B Line Pipes Online Page 1 - J.N. Barber Limited - https://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Barber_B-Line-p1.html
They just got a new shipment in and I've never seen so many models in stock at once.

I've got about six of them now (two in the mail).

Stem quality is very average as far as Vulcanite goes (smells a bit more sulphuric than higher quality stems), but the sandblasts are fabulous for the money. Basically on the same level as pipes costing 5x more.

Interesting. Those are some nice blasts.

Another one I didn't mention in my post is the newer Kaywoodies with regular push bit tenons. I only have one, a relief grain churchwarden, but I really like it alot. I will probably buy another one soon in a smaller shape as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you've learned to get a longer smoke from a smaller pipe, like a Group 2, good French EWA pipes might be for you, including some of their shorter churchwarden shapes. The only EWA retailer I know is Iwan Ries. Flake/coin/plug/rope cuts can give you a good 40 minutes in many cases.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Of course it is!
Then again, some are genuine estate pieces from someone who has passed and their heirs don’t know good from bad and just want to liquidate their collections.
I like to pick up a mixed lot and sort through them, saving the worthwhile ones, cleaning them up and adding them to my collection.
I’m smoking one now, as a matter of fact- a hexagonal briar that’s ugly as sin, but thick walled and an easy draw. I’ve cleaned out the cake and now that I have it, I can see a beautiful Birdseye pattern in the grain that’s been obscured by a dark finish and years of handling. Cleaning up that finish is probably my next project.
It’s stamped “Italy” and “Castelsardo”, which I’m not familiar with.

Through watching the forum for years now, and participating and learning through discussion and debate... I can't believe that someone would hold the idea that if one person believes a pipe isn't a good pipe, then everyone would agree that it sucks. What I have learned is that the quality of a pipe is up to the beholder. There is no one objective good or bad in pipes.

I've seen it hundreds of times now... one guys says a pipe sucks, and passes it on to someone else who claims it is the best pipe ever.

Just like food, clothes, cars, or anything... (even wives) the perception of quality is subjective, and different for everyone. And, claiming that there is one level of quality that we can all behold is kind of ridiculous.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
And, claiming that there is one level of quality that we can all behold is kind of ridiculous.

To be fair, there are some measures of quality that are objective, and then the rest are subjective as you describe.

I can make a pipe that no one can properly smoke. I can also make one that cracks the first time you remove the stem. There are lots of objective measures of quality as well as the subjective ones.

Reactions: dcon and olkofri
I've passed on or traded pipes to friends that I have thought smoked well, but I just didn't like the stain or the stem didn't fit my clench very well (I am not a fan of saddle bit), or they were too shallow for me, or blah blah blah... although I don't sell things on eBay. I can't imagine that the only reason someone sells a pipe on eBay is because they think it lacks some magical engineering trick that makes it smoke poorly.

Me, I am most likely to just toss a pipe in a drawer if I find that I don't want to smoke it very often.

Reactions: Blockaderunner95

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Excellent thread!

The way I collect pipes (I'm newer and evolving) is reflective of how I approach other aspects of life. I happen to be obsessive compulsive, love old stuff, and working with my hands. Therefore, estate pipes work for me. It's like treasure hunting. I've spent about $800 total on about 40-50 miscellaneous estate pipes (not counting the 10 that on the way), restored them, smoked them, and sold what I did not thoroughly enjoy. Net cost? Around $150. Meanwhile, I've been able to try nearly every shape made and am getting a handle on what I like. Since I am newer to the pipe, I am certain I have sold some winners that other are enjoying.

Here are some surprises for me:
  1. I purchased/restored 5 or 6 Savinelli's and only kept 1
  2. I have stumbled on to and restored pipes made by now retired, not-so-famous, boutique pipemakers that I am sure I will never part with
  3. I am getting better at restoring pipes
  4. I get more excited about smoking a pipe I have put some hard work into

As I am sure you have guessed, I have also purchased a few turds too. Surprisingly, not too many.

Reactions: Idahojoe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Last time I looked, Iwan Ries was sourcing its house pipes from Genod, as they did many years ago, before they sourced house pipes from Benton and Savinelli. The current crop, last time I looked, were handsome pipes at sixty bucks, state tax, and shipping. I have a Genod stamped by the brand, not an IR pipe, and it is a fine little bent egg with a big bowl, about as good a smoker as any.

Reactions: subsalac
Status
Not open for further replies.