PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Wow, what a fine source piece!
OTOH, if I were short of funds and starting out, I'd go with estate pipes.

Definitely agree with this as well. As mentioned in the OP, both cobs and estate pipes are a good option that should be implemented as well, just wanted to focus this particular sentiment on new briars, for those that prefer to have a few pipes to devirginize on their own, for whatever reasons they may have.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Great advice. I went with Savinelli as my first briar, and now have 5 of them. Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn’t have been just as happy with Rossi’s.

With a smaller budget, those Genods really Speak to me. Classic shapes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Great advice. I went with Savinelli as my first briar, and now have 5 of them. Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn’t have been just as happy with Rossi’s.

With a smaller budget, those Genods really Speak to me. Classic shapes.
Well, many Rossi's don't take the balsa filters. I take it your Savs do? I've always wanted a Savinelli, but it just hasn't happened. :(

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You know there are lots of unsmoked estates. ;)
I buy smoked estates only if they are cheap, look like an easy resto job, or are a rarer pipe I really want.
This is certainly true, and definitely not something a new smoker (or anyone) should ignore. You can find some very good deals on unsmoked (or barely smoked) estate pipes if you are looking for a lower price on higher end briar.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I figured you'd been smoking way longer than 7 months! People who have been smoking that long are usually still wondering why their pipe won't stay lit and why their 1Q just tastes like hot air instead of a delicious vanilla confection puffy

Cool list though. I would add to it and say that a lot of "mid range" pipes that cost around $100 provide really great bang for your buck. Savinellis and some Petersons come to mind. Even the most expensive pipes, in my somewhat limited experience, are only marginally better than a good mid range pipe. I've had more than one pipe that just "seems to smoke itself" as people will say, and none of them were very expensive.

Definitely also true, many good mid range pipes out there. Hard to beat Savinelli when it comes to that. All the pipes I posted in the OP are in the $50 range, but some of the makers I mention also make great mid range pipes that are as good as any Sav (or even higher end pipes). Here is an example of a Genod I picked up for $95. Straight Grain, anyone?

002-628-1335.1565.jpg

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Well, many Rossi's don't take the balsa filters. I take it your Savs do? I've always wanted a Savinelli, but it just hasn't happened. :(

They do take 6mm filters, and I actually like them. I like filterless for ease of cleanup, but being new, those 6mm filters soak up a lot of moisture, and give a dry smoke even without the best technique. Maybe in ten years I won’t like the filters anymore.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I appreciate you taking the time for this extensive write up. Very informative! I was wondering what your and everyone's thoughts were on Molina pipes? I've got two- one is meh but the other smokes like a dream. These are also in the $50 range.

Reactions: azbuckeye

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Great post/thread, Alaska! I don't have any of the others you singled out, but I love my Tsuge Tasting billiard. I went with estates when I started buying a lot of briars partly because I didn't trust inexpensive new pipes. It would have been great to have a guide like this. I definitely second the Brebbia addendum - I've had really good luck with them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My first pipe was a Molina Barasso Sandblast Billiard for around $50. It’s still one of my top 5 smokers. In fact, 2 of my top 5 are Molina’s.
This interesting! Never had a Molina and its already been mentioned multiple times. May have to check them out!

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I have come to the same realization. I like my expensive pipes but none reliably deliver the depth of flavor of my $80 Savinelli Tortuga 673 (pictured below). It sets the standard for all my other pipes, regardless of price point, to live up to.

I have a $400 Ardor that pissed me off for about 2 years because it made the flavor of every blend taste thin compared to the old trusty Savinelli. It finally came around after putting 4-5 tins of Balkan Blue through it. The whole thing makes me think that the sheer number of times a pipe is smoked might be a major factor in how well it performs.
160306d1508522973-what-s-your-bowl-imga1235.jpg

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Great stuff. I agree that it does involve trial and error. A pipe brand that one person may like may not suit another person for various reasons. You also have to find the shapes that you like.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great stuff. I agree that it does involve trial and error. A pipe brand that one person may like may not suit another person for various reasons. You also have to find the shapes that you like.
Shape preference and the blend you put into said shape is definitely significant (at least for me). Cheaper and/or estate pipes are a good way to test the waters.

I did a lot of shape experimenting with cheaper makers, then chose to buy higher end stuff in the shapes I really liked (I do enjoy the artistic aspect of higher end stuff, within reason).

Turns out I’m a big billiard/dublin/canadian/prince/tomato/apple/poker/churchwarden/pot fan, haha.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shape preference and the blend you put into said shape is definitely significant
One tobacco tastes the same to me regardless of the pipe I smoke it in so I assign pipes to blends that aesthetically match. Example, Deep Hollow evokes Autumn for me for some reason as do acorns so I have an acorn dedicated to that blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.