36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
I've always felt meer-lined pipes to be a gimmick. They're supposed a Jack of All Trades, and in theory it kind of does live up to that moniker. But in actuality, it comes up short when compared to most other pipes in one significant area or another.

Get a couple of cheap briars and meerschaums, and compare for yourself!

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
The only reason I like meerschaum pipes is the way they look when they've been smoked and beat to hell, plus the color change here and there, which generally looks like fruit spoiling or something. They smell cool, too, if you don't clean them much. I like a good reek. Other than that, I'd say stick to briar, to start with.

Reactions: Choatecav

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
The only reason I like meerschaum pipes is the way they look when they've been smoked and beat to hell, plus the color change here and there, which generally looks like fruit spoiling or something. They smell cool, too, if you don't clean them much. I like a good reek. Other than that, I'd say stick to briar, to start with.
P.S. I had a meerschaum-lined pipe in my ignorant pipesmokerly youth. The innards crumbled, and I was left with a 100% p.o.s.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
"I like a good reek"
Gotta be the quote of the day............

Reactions: Joe H and upnorth1

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
I guess all forums have fascist mods who stifle free speech 😆

Edit: You made your point. Insults deleted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Distant Roads

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have only one, which was purchased in the 1970's - a small bowled "Bing-like" billiard with a slightly curved stem and stamped "block meerschaum"
Its shiny black (?)Brylon bowl gives it a "dress" look.
I thought it was the epitomy of style :rolleyes:
For a while, it was my favourite pipe. And it was the very 1st pipe I cleaned up when I got back to pipes a few years ago.

It rarely gets smoked these days.
I smoke alone most times, so no one is there to tell me how elegant I look with that pipe 😂
But mostly because it smokes hot, irregardless of which blend I fill it up with :(

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I am really interested in this one. My first pipe was a meerschaum lined Lorenzo Spitfire Arena Bent. Someone gave it to me and it was very comfortable as far as I could tell.

I know that most meerschaum lined pipes don't use block meerschaum. Still, two questions:

1. do any of you guys like them? Or dislike them? Why?
Honestly, I don't own any lined pipes. I do have a meer and enjoy it occasionaly. I have nothing against them, I just don't have more than one at this point. Personally I never understood why meer and briar were mixed. I get the notion behind it with meer being cooler, and then also having the ruggedness of briar but I have always maintained that a the two materials work better on their own and not in combination: solid meer is great, solid briar is great. A combination of them makes me think that your trying to get away with a less quality of one or both.
2. In practice, why doesn't everyone choose a sea-foam lined pipe instead of pure briar? What's the advantage of a briar pipe without a sea-foam insert?
IMHO quality briar shouldn't be lined. A good quality briar is naturally fire-resistant, is incredibly dens and stable, while also being somewhat porous. Its these unique attributes that allow briar to perform so well while, being in direct contact with a flame, hot ember and a wet burning bowl of tobacco. Adding a liner necassarily inhibits it natural advantages.