PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
There was a lengthy thread from 3 years ago where someone cut open the 9 mm balsa wood filters he used. The balsa is porous and based on the cross section which showed brown gook (a scientific term) in the middle if the filter it seems that at least some tar and other contaminants are trapped in the filter. And it definitely absorbs excess moisture. I personally prefer them although i have both filtered and unfiltered pipes.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Smoking without a filter:

Pro: It may clean a little something out of the smoke.

Con: you may die a few years earlier but your pipe will taste better so you'll likely die happier. And you won't have to spend money on it fiddle with filters.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I would be pleased to do so. Champagne ok?

I prefer white Zinfandel.

Pros- cleans up a lot of gurgle and keeps small bits of tobacco and ash from getting sucked into my mouth. Takes a lot of the tongue bite away so I do find I smoke a bit faster cadence but still keep the flavor consistent all the way to the end of the bowl.

Cons- some of you purists apparently don’t like them. Lol. And 10 cents per does add up in the long run.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
After having that first one in there for so long and eventually passing a pipe cleaner through the actual filter. I threw that one away and took them out from then on. I had no idea what they were, I should give them another try.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Pipes don't gurgle; people do! In truth, none of the above need a filter to prevent the bad effects.

Fair point! I’m a gurgler, so it does help sponge up the moisture from my poor smoking technique. I can’t help it! I wanna puff!

1436539468-esgxy5c.gif

GriffinKnox

Lurker
Mar 18, 2020
Pros:

-The junk you see in the filter, whether it be moisture or other particles, is not in my mouth or nasal passages.
-Cooler and drier smoke means much less chance of tongue bite, especially when clenching and distracted with other activity and not monitoring my cadence as well as I should.tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Con: Because filters are more forgiving of a fast paced huffing and puffing, they force me to pay more attention when not using one. Maybe this is a pro and not a con.

Either way, I smoke both ways but stand solidly in the pro-filter camp.
thankyou so much!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So what do filters do? Well what they sorta say they do. If that sounds pointless to you it probably is, if it sounds like something you might like then it is something you'll probably like. If they sound useful try them, buy a cheap filter pipe and try with and without it. You'll know if it helps, does nothing, or makes it worse pretty quickly. They do make pipe cleaning easier. In fact the only reason I'll use them sometimes is so I don't have to clean the pipe before the next smoke or at least not so thoroughly. And most M.M. cobs can take a filter so you can see the difference for a few bucks.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I own two pipes that take the medico filters,and one that uses a 9mm.The charcoal 9mm ones tend to block the draw more than the Medico filters,I’ Ve had no significant flavor issues.If it takes a filter,I use a filter.If it doesn’t take a filter,then I don’t run a filter.With the 9s,I’ve had to replace the filter mid way through the bowl,before,but the 9mm pipes are easier to pull/ twist apart when warm due to the lesser wall thickness of the filter holder,vice a normal tenon.A filter can also help you to draw slower,if you have a problem in that area.In the end,it’s all subjective,anyway.Filters help take the edge off if you’re smoking out a breeze/wind,and the pipe may run a little hot(yeah,I do that when out at sea).I like the Medico/ Grabow filters best,then charcoal.Don’t care for those balsa absorbents,they get saturated too soon.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
In addition to my earlier post,I have tried the Denicotea 9mm crystal filters for the first time today.The pipe's draw is much better than with the usual charcoal filters, and they do pull some sludge out,turnng brown and slimy after one bowl in a group 5 sized pipeThey have SMALL perforations in the casing, and the usual entry and exit ports in the ends,which I believe enhances the draw.They also sell 6mm crystal filters, and charcoal filters in 9mm.They have their own website.I f anyone wants to see a used filter in all it's glory,I will post an image alongside an unused filter.