PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GriffinKnox

Lurker
Mar 18, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have pipes that take 9mm, I have Balsa (Savinelli) pipes, and I also have filterless pipes.

Here's my take:

The 9mm filter: It does take away some of the flavor in the smoke, but it also does provide a much cooler and more dry smoke. The flavour will taste more 'bland' with a 9mm filter. If you are a noob, you will not even notice the difference. Experienced pipe smokers will.

Balsa: I wouldn't even call these filters. They are basically just moisture traps. They do not alter the smoke taste, but they prevent gurgling and moisture build up within the pipe. They are really only good for one smoke. If you try to smoke two bowls with the same filter, the pipe will gurgle. They also smell rancid.

Filterless: Highest flavour, highest difficulty. However, ease of access and abundance of pipe options come into play. I don't want to shit on anyone, but most experienced pipe smokers prefer filterless (myself included). This provides a huge range of options for aesthetics, shapes, sizes and brands. Also, naturally, if you don't have to buy filters ($0.10/smoke) then filterless is a cheaper long term option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BROBS and Kozeman
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I am not an experienced pipe smoke only about 2 yrs or so but i started with a cob so I never used a filter. I recently bought a pearwood that came with a filter I used it once and really couldn't tell a difference but i have not put a filter back in. The gurgling thing I have not experienced yet

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Pros:

-The junk you see in the filter, whether it be moisture or other particles, is not in my mouth or nasal passages.
-Cooler and drier smoke means much less chance of tongue bite, especially when clenching and distracted with other activity and not monitoring my cadence as well as I should.

Con: Because filters are more forgiving of a fast paced huffing and puffing, they force me to pay more attention when not using one. Maybe this is a pro and not a con.

Either way, I smoke both ways but stand solidly in the pro-filter camp.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I have avoided filters big time. I really don't like them and have been really negatively disposed towards putting another thing into my smoke.

Recently however I have been have been experimenting with Balsa filters to help in taming some blends. In some cases I regret to admit that I really like the effect of what I perceive to be a slightly cooler and dryer smoke.

It has taken me a while to admit it, but I think as I am a bit of a wet smoker anyhow, it really has helped me enjoy smoking more. So the .10 cents a smoke is worth it, though I have read of some people making their own out of a sheet of Balsa for much less.

So some pros and cons from my point of view...

Pro: Potentially dryer and cooler smoke - for tongue bite/burn people, this might be a help.

Con: More cost, another component to carry (albeit really small) and may alter the taste.

I am very pleased with my experiments with Balsa filters so far and suspect I will be sticking with them in the short term.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke a bowl a day, maybe two on weekends, and I mostly don't use filters, but either filterless pipes or adaptors or filter pipes without adaptors mostly. However, I use filters on occasion, though sometimes I have to look around to locate them. I think they are good for pipe shows or pipe clubs where you may be sampling blends and end up smoking more than usual. Also, for getting a milder take on a strong tobacco, just because that's what you'd like at the moment, or in sampling heavy duty leaf before you smoke it neat. Europeans have take the 9 mm totally to heart, it seems, and it would be interesting to know if, in the process, they have increased the number of bowls they smoke to compensate. With some milder blends, a filter pretty much eliminates flavor for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pro: They give the impression they are making the smoke "cleaner" and drier.
Cons: They cost money, are messy, and fiddly.

I should amend this. Yes, they do remove some particles that would otherwise find their way into the smoking passages. But all you have to do is smoke a few minutes longer and you have the same amount entering the body.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I sometimes use a filter and other times don't. 9mm filters can be used repeatedly but they are also smelly after use. That is a bit of a problem for me. I also don't like the waste they produce.

There are times when I strongly prefer a filter. I find they help when it is borderline too windy. I also like to use them for the first smokes after being sick. I wait until I am well to smoke but recognize that my throat may still be a bit sensitive.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I smoke a 9mm charcoal filter about 80% of the time and I find the whole less flavour thing to be untrue. I can smoke moister tobacco in a 9mm and (to me) moister tobacco has more flavour. A 9mm also knocks off the rough edges in the same way a filter on a cigarette does (again just my experience.)
The whole open draw thing I don't really notice, I get about the same from both filtered & unfiltered. Obviously you cant pass a pipe cleaner halfway through a bowl as the filter is in the way but using a 9mm I've never felt the need to anyway.
Tongue bite I definitely notice more in an unfiltered pipe and especially so if there's red Virginia in the blend. As for 9mm's not really doing anything to clean the smoke all I can think is that carbon is well known for its filtering properties and every used 9mm is wet and full of gunk. To me it would be the same as saying a filter on a cigarette does nothing when I only have to look at a used one to see it does.
As with most things in smoking you need to try it and make your own mind up.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Tongue bite I definitely notice more in an unfiltered pipe and especially so if there's red Virginia in the blend.

Red Virginia is part of my experiments with Balsa filters because I have a growing suspicion that I am more likely to get bite when smoking Red Virginia without a filter. I don’t think the filter is a cure all, but it seems to help me in this instance.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Red Virginia is part of my experiments with Balsa filters because I have a growing suspicion that I am more likely to get bite when smoking Red Virginia without a filter. I don’t think the filter is a cure all, but it seems to help me in this instance.
No not a cure all but I find (overall) I definitely prefer a 9mm.
As for red Virginia I recently tried some Cornell and Diehl Carolina Red Flake (a pure red Virginia blend) in both a filtered and unfiltered pipe. Same exact pipe that I had a 9mm stem specially made for and the contrast was stark. I could smoke it using the unfiltered stem but I got A LOT more tongue bite and it was a generally all round worse experience.
As far as technique goes the Germans are big 9mm smokers and I've always found they seem to know their stuff about most things in life so I honestly don't think it's a poor technique thing. Probably more a preference thing.
But like I said in my original post, you have to find out for yourself. My original pipe was fitted for 9mm and also came with a reducer so I smoked lots with and lots without to see what I thought.
I now own a few non filter pipes (including calabashes but they're a bit of a catagory unto themselves) and although I do smoke unfiltered sometimes overall I prefer a 9mm.
I think it's a geographical thing as well because 9mm's are much less popular in America, very popular in Germany and somewhere in between in the UK.
I put this down to culture as well. I know only to well from watching Hollywood movies (that's where everyone gets their info, right?) that most Americans are rugged cowboys ? who are constantly herding cattle and getting into gun fights etc. so probably don't have time to mess around with filters. Conversely Englishman are all gentlemen who are either related to the Queen (by marriage or blood), went to wizard school when they were little, live in castles and wear a top hat & monocle to bed so filters fit in with that more refined lifestyle ??.

All joking aside if you smoke unfiltered without any problems then I don't really see the point in bothering with them, but if you get tongue bite from red Virginia or just in general then I don't see why you wouldn't at least give them a proper try.
Each to their own I say.