Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Mine is all about where I am smoking or what I am doing.
If I'm hitting the road, something ready rubbed. Usual blends are VaBurPer.
If the tub in the yard, flake, in the biggest rested bowl, every time. Usually Virginias or Navys
If I am sharpening a chainsaw, then something that is clenchable or a sitter, typically some Latakia or Oriental.
If something by the fire for a long conversation, then I tend to grab something with a longer stem...

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I'm a planner. And, it seems, a creature of habit. I know I'll want a burley in the morning to pair with coffee. I know I'll want a Virginia around lunchtime, so I'll pre-pack & char a bowl of Va at the same time as my morning burley (DGT).

Lately, it's only evening smokes where I get spontaneous. And, for me, that means picking a tobacco first, and then choosing the right pipe to match it.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have ADHD. I can’t plan dinner, let alone what bowl I’m gonna smoke. If and when the time comes, it’s usually whatever I’m in the mood for at that very moment, which is typically BMP, something with Latakia, or something new. When I’m picking something new, I’ll literally close my eyes and grab something.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't spend much time on selection process, sometimes I select a tobacco from the rotation first, then the pipe, other times I reverse it. Probably the thing I give the most thought to is how much time do I have, no sense packing a two hour pipe for a 30 minute window. I've reached the point that all smokes are enjoyable as bad pipes and tobaccos have been jettisoned (errr..... I mean sold or traded).

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I only smoke a few bowls during the week, when the seasons permit and not more than one when I am smoking that day. I can check the weather the night before and think what pipe I'd like to smoke and what tobacco, but the following day it can all change, because part of the smoke is the setting: is it sunny out? is there any wind? And maybe my taste from last night hasn't translated to this morning. So I can have a ballpark idea of what I want the night before, but the day can change all that.
That being said, I do invest in the hour or so that I'm smoking - that time is dedicated. I learned that from cigars. You can't rush them. If you have to rush, then you're not respecting the smoke. I'd go for a smaller cigar, or gently abdicate until the right moment presented itself.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I make my choice of a pipe and tobacco when I am ready to smoke. When I finally have time to myself with no real time constraints, that is my time to enjoy my smoke. I have four pipes and three tobaccos that I consistantly smoke. Three Petersons and one Winslow, one aeromatic and two Englishes. I enjoy the selecting as much as I do the smoke. Prepping my Jack Daniels to drink with it is just as enjoyable as drinking it.

But the best part of it all is the silence. While I enjoy my smoke and drink I hear nothing, my nerves are not being wrecked by some asshole, and the world can just go to hell for awhile.

jef

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I make my choice of a pipe and tobacco when I am ready to smoke. When I finally have time to myself with no real time constraints, that is my time to enjoy my smoke. I have four pipes and three tobaccos that I consistantly smoke. Three Petersons and one Winslow, one aeromatic and two Englishes. I enjoy the selecting as much as I do the smoke. Prepping my Jack Daniels to drink with it is just as enjoyable as drinking it.

But the best part of it all is the silence. While I enjoy my smoke and drink I hear nothing, my nerves are not being wrecked by some asshole, and the world can just go to hell for awhile.

jef
I can understand that. Sound of silence is very precious.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@bullet08 As you mentioned not doing much these days and the importance of time, etc...

I think it’s a very common way of thinking for many people in the world, to plan and prepare ahead...

But, I also believe, living in the moment, and taking things as they come, and figuring out later when you’ve arrive is also vitality important too, because it’s about not being burdened.

So, my point being, clear your head, just live life, and when you get there, time for a pipe, just go for what you think/feel at the moment. :)

Always preparing, planning, who knows what their life will be like tomorrow? ;)

I never ever plan ahead for a pipe, when I reach that moment for a pipe, I decide then, and only then.

Be well, Aloha! 🤙 ❤️

F

fMf Piper

I could not agree more!!! For me, absoulutely nothing beats a quite smoke and a good drink on the farm listening to nothing but the sounds of nature.

F

fMf Piper

Unless something calls me away, it’ll be Granger. Even when something does, I’m gonna follow it up with Granger.
@Grangerous, after reading many, many of your posts, and seeing how loyal you are to Granger, I am feeling the the strong urge to pick up some to try. Only thing stopping me is that 7oz seems like a big commitment for a new tobacco - I wish they still sold it in the smaller pouches.

Is there a tobacco you can think of you would compare it too?

I'm a pretty new smoker and have a few "beginner" tobaccos; Lane 1-Q, Half and Half, MM Country Gentleman, MM Missouri Pride, etc.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous, after reading many, many of your posts, and seeing how loyal you are to Granger, I am feeling the the strong urge to pick up some to try. Only thing stopping me is that 7oz seems like a big commitment for a new tobacco - I wish they still sold it in the smaller pouches.

Is there a tobacco you can think of you would compare it too?

I'm a pretty new smoker and have a few "beginner" tobaccos; Lane 1-Q, Half and Half, MM Country Gentleman, MM Missouri Pride, etc.

Sure. Please understand that Granger is my own personal click of the boxes. For example, the other day I was really enjoying some Uhle’s blend 300’s honey graham sweetness and chunky cut. It’s a great burley blend. When it went out, as is my habit, I relit a pipe containing a half bowl of Granger and Granger’s flavor registered with me five times greater than the Uhles. I make no apologies. I know it’s an OTC. I just love this tobacco. — there are online retailers who do sell Granger by the ounce. I’m not sure which. But don’t be surprised if you “don’t get it” or even dislike it. It’s just a very pure, clean, good tasting burley. Good luck!