PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Watch Harley Quinn on HBO. Plenty of blood, violence, flying entrails, ripped off body parts, etc.
I did watch some of it but I cannot remember any of it. My memory is so freaking bad. I will watch it again as I take your word about the blood and guts.

You are old enough too remember when they tried to censor The Wild Bunch back in the day. There had never been that level of blood and guts before. Peckinpah was one of my favorites. Apocalypse Now had the greatest scene in film history when he had the helicopter scene.

No CG, nothing but 11 Helicopters playing Wagner while creating an incredible scene that has been one of the best I ave ever seen . Remember the movie Cleopatra and the sets that were built for it? Some of the movies back then had over 10,000 people on the set. Lawrence of Arabia was another that had incredible scenes.

These kids today cannot sit long enough to watch these great classics. I force my kids to watch them and when we are done they always say yeah that was impressive. Me and my 18 year old daughter watched Platoon together and when Elias got shot she started tearing up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I did watch some of it but I cannot remember any of it. My memory is so freaking bad. I will watch it again as I take your word about the blood and guts.

You are old enough too remember when they tried to censor The Wild Bunch back in the day. There had never been that level of blood and guts before. Peckinpah was one of my favorites. Apocalypse Now had the greatest scene in film history when he had the helicopter scene.

No CG, nothing but 11 Helicopters playing Wagner while creating an incredible scene that has been one of the best I ave ever seen . Remember the movie Cleopatra and the sets that were built for it? Some of the movies back then had over 10,000 people on the set. Lawrence of Arabia was another that had incredible scenes.

These kids today cannot sit long enough to watch these great classics. I force my kids to watch them and when we are done they always say yeah that was impressive. Me and my 18 year old daughter watched Platoon together and when Elias got shot she started tearing up.
My oldest brother, Hal, and I went to see Platoon. He had seen a tour of duty in what he referred to as the "Jolly Green Jungle". He said Platoon didn't begin to show what he had seen and experienced.
I have nothing against CG when it is used as a tool for telling a story, just like I didn't mind miniatures or matte paintings (hell, I was a matte painter), but nothing beats reality. The biggest sets were built during the silent era, amazing gigantic constructions like the recreation of ancient Babylon for Intolerence.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Ditka regrew his hair just by thinking about it

hi-res-5728b920100e2990e6e95bde53c0ed81_crop_north.jpg
Hurricane Ditka!

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 27, 2020

Do you feel like Heart of Darkness was an effective source of inspiration to speak about the quagmire that was the Vietnam war or was Apocalypse Now more universal in its observations about human nature?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I prefer to think of it as that my hair has migrated to other places.

I have a full head of hair which I buzz but the migrating to other places has also happened to me. One of my first questions for God when I cross over will be "What the heck was up with the nose and ear hair growing like gangbusters after 50?" I'm not a Bedouin living in the desert and need protection from sandstorms so I don't really understand why I suddenly needed to stick a weed whacker up my schnoz and in my ears once a month so I don't look like a muppet. Ever met a guy our age who doesn't attend to this basic maintenance? I have one friend that looks like he has a shop broom coming out of his nose! It's distracting! It's as bad as the comb over. Seriously, I don't understand it. Do people actually think raking 6 strands of extra long hair over a mostly bald dome tricks people into thinking they have a full glowing main of a hair? It makes you want to sit them down and explain that while they think it helps them look more like Brad Pitt, it really just gives them a creepy Crypt Keeper vibe. Just man up and admit you are balding and go with the Jason Statham or Patrick Stewart look! We're men damn it!

Country Bladesmith
No disrespect to anyone with hair plugs! ?

I have a few friends who did this way way too early. Instead of growing hair, it looks like they have rows of sickly corn growing on their head. Or as Bill Burr puts it, it looks like someone stapled ant legs on their head.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and autumnfog

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My oldest brother, Hal, and I went to see Platoon. He had seen a tour of duty in what he referred to as the "Jolly Green Jungle". He said Platoon didn't begin to show what he had seen and experienced.
I have nothing against CG when it is used as a tool for telling a story, just like I didn't mind miniatures or matte paintings (hell, I was a matte painter), but nothing beats reality. The biggest sets were built during the silent era, amazing gigantic constructions like the recreation of ancient Babylon for Intolerence.
precisely it's about telling a story. And no matter what you use it's how well it's integrated into the story. Hence why a show like Dark Shadows can have a plastic bat where you can see the shadow of the guy with the stick and string controlling the bat and it works yet cg can kill an already poorly told tale. It's all tools and like all tools it's how it's used that makes the difference. CG feels sometimes like a guy using a hammer to screw in a screw, because he either loves the hammer too much or is too lazy to get the screwdriver.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My wife once told me a story of a family gathering where one of the toddlers pulled the wig off one of the aunts present, revealing that she was bald as an egg.
I have an older relative that is very sensitive about his bald head. He’s worn a toupee ever since I was born, so as a kid, I had no idea he was bald. One time he came to a family gathering with a ball cap, no toupee, on his head. I was little, and just horsing around, and snatched his ball cap off. I don’t know who was more shocked, him or me! I thought he had hair! ?‍♂️
He got embarrassed and pissed, and I got in big trouble. ?

• Haha

Skatutakee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2021
Massachusetts / New Hampshire
I knew a guy once who had gone bald early and wore a toupee. He told the story of one time he got carded in a bar. “I don’t think you need to see my driver’s license,” he said to the barmaid, lifting his toupee just barely and then letting it drop again. He got his drink.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do you feel like Heart of Darkness was an effective source of inspiration to speak about the quagmire that was the Vietnam war or was Apocalypse Now more universal in its observations about human nature?
I was never there so I cannot say which was more realistic. I had a salesman back in the day He was there and he had serious issues. I turned him into a great salesman even though he was an ex heroin junkie. He made over 40 grand his first year and that was back in 1987. I don't remember if he ever talked about the movies. I did have to stop him from stabbing another salesman with a screwdriver.

Jan 27, 2020
I was never there so I cannot say which was more realistic. I had a salesman back in the day He was there and he had serious issues. I turned him into a great salesman even though he was an ex heroin junkie. He made over 40 grand his first year and that was back in 1987. I don't remember if he ever talked about the movies. I did have to stop him from stabbing another salesman with a screwdriver.

Are you talking about Vietnam or the Congo?

Status
Not open for further replies.