PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
For those of us well versed in the restoration of stem holes, bite marks, and chipped vulcanite stems. Standard practice is to mix ca glue with powdered carbon for these repairs. The problem I continually have is how fast this mixture sets, setting so fast that one hardly has any time to get it on a pipe. It’s most frustrating. The Gorilla brand of ca glue is thicker, with a longer setting time, but does not offer the same good looking fix.
It was suggested I try to mix on a porous piece of cardboard. The process is slowed down somewhat, but not by much.

One could use black CA glue, then accelerant, but this defeats the our purpose of filling larger fills for stems. You could fill holes 5 times before getting a hole filled.

im a little perplexed at the moment and have resorted to applying glue, then sprinkling powdered carbon on top. Also one could use vulcanite dust that does not react to CA glue. You can form a paste. The downside is you don’t get the customary black color.

Im hoping others may have an answer to this reaction of powdered carbon and ca glue.

-Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For those of us well versed in the restoration of stem holes, bite marks, and chipped vulcanite stems. Standard practice is to mix ca glue with powdered carbon for these repairs. The problem I continually have is how fast this mixture sets, setting so fast that one hardly has any time to get it on a pipe. It’s most frustrating. The Gorilla brand of ca glue is thicker, with a longer setting time, but does not offer the same good looking fix.
It was suggested I try to mix on a porous piece of cardboard. The process is slowed down somewhat, but not by much.

One could use black CA glue, then accelerant, but this defeats the our purpose of filling larger fills for stems. You could fill holes 5 times before getting a hole filled.

im a little perplexed at the moment and have resorted to applying glue, then sprinkling powdered carbon on top. Also one could use vulcanite dust that does not react to CA glue. You can form a paste. The downside is you don’t get the customary black color.

Im hoping others may have an answer to this reaction of powdered carbon and ca glue.

-Bill
The big problem with CA is that it doesn't really bond well to Vulcanite and will fall off.

I wish that this wasn't a practice done to pipes set out onto the secondary market. Or, if done, I wish that the seller would reveal all that he has done to the pipe, including filling in these dings or holes. Having had a couple of pipes bought off of eBay with that little plug the restorer put into it fall out while I was clenching, is a turn off, especially when it exposes a hole in the stem. My experience is that this is a sucky way to disguise an otherwise useless pipe for the buyers.

If the dents and dings do not penetrate the stem, I'd prefer the chatter to just be left as it is. They are a part of that pipe's story, IMO. And, if the stem has a hole, I would just avoid buying the pipe all together, unless the restorer has the skills to actually make a new stem. Otherwise, full disclosure would be appreciated.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I wish that this wasn't a practice done to pipes set out onto the secondary market. Or, if done, I wish that the seller would reveal all that he has done to the pipe, including filling in these dings or holes. Having had a couple of pipes bought off of eBay with that little plug the restorer put into it fall out while I was clenching, is a turn off, especially when it exposes a hole in the stem. My experience is that this is a sucky way to disguise an otherwise useless pipe for the buyers.

If the dents and dings do not penetrate the stem, I'd prefer the chatter to just be left as it is. They are a part of that pipe's story, IMO. And, if the stem has a hole, I would just avoid buying the pipe all together, unless the restorer has the skills to actually make a new stem. Otherwise, full disclosure would be appreciated.
Yes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

For those of us bottom feeders who blink at thirty dollars, we want a good stem above most else.

It’s the hardest part to fix any chewed or broken stems for us of the pipe. We can ream and file tops and clean but stems are a mystery to us.

That’s why a few resellers of prettier pipes redo the stems.

If they have the skills and patience to do a stem they’ve already cleaned and spruced up the stummel.

Thanks to you good folks I’ve tried repairs using super glue on a few stems.

And wound up using these.

IMG_6763.jpeg

If a pipe has a good repair I‘m more willing to buy.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I agree 100% with Cosmic. I wouldn't recommend a repair without full disclosure. I've found the only Ebonite Stems that remains jet black with CA are the ones made in Greece. No idea why but it does remain black. I use file to make fine powder. These stems are probably 40 years old but you may be able to find some.

Last edited:

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The way I see it is too each there own. I practiced repairing my first stem which was a Savinelli Guibilio di oro. I couldn't even see the brass dots on the stem that's how dirty it was. I had the same issue. CA and charcoal would react like a little fire starter. The concoction gets hot before it sets so you have to move fast before this reaction occurs. If you see smoke coming off your mix then it's already to late. If im fixing a pipe for myself I will use powdered vulcanite it's more forgiving. Maybe I'm lucky but all the stems I've repaired this way have looked almost perfect. You could only really tell there was a hole if I told you and that's the issue. If I can fix an original stem to damn near perfect why would I need to disclose such. A stem is just a pretty addition to a pipe. A stem is not a necessity I.E bones pipes. And alot of makers have no stem marks to identify maker anyway. So as long as it is original to the pipe that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to buy a $500 pipe and the guy selling put a new stem on it because the old 1 had a chip or a bite through. Like someone put a $20 dollor stem on a Becker although the original stem was still usable and 10 times better then the cheap stem. I use a softy bit because i have a vamipre tooth that will chomp right threw a thin stem. Better then haveing my tooth go straight threw the repaire.20220503_184800.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If I really like the pipe and the stem is not intrical to the pipe’s value, eg Dunhill, historic piece, etc - I send the pipe out and have a replacement stem made for it. For $30 the problem is solved. If I don’t care too much for the pipe, black CS glue has worked so far.