PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I guess I am in the minority. I actually like PA and smoke it daily but then again i guess i dont have good taste buds. I like bottom shelf bourbon and whiskey, I like Miller Lite, and chew Grizzly Natural. Might just be the Old Grouchy Bastard in me but hey to each their own
we like what we like. I don't like cheap whiskeys or miller lite, but I can't really tell a difference between Grizzly and the more expensive dips and every wine I've tried that's over a certain price point has tasted bad to me but I like most wines in the 7-12 dollar a bottle range.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I like PA and Carter Hall. The latter took a few bowls to grow on me, while I took to the former immediately. Protip: the stuff in tubs is better. Not sure why, but it is, and I’ve seen the same with cans of rolling tobacco versus the pouches.

PA by itself is fairly unassuming and you could even say boring. That’s part of its appeal for me, and part of the appeal is that as someone who started out smoking cigarettes, the sometimes cigarettey aspect that PA has is comforting. It’s the same reason I like Stokkebye Norwegian, Amsterdam, and Turkish—I never quite “outgrew” my taste for that sort of flavor, but now I get to pair that with a less obnoxious room note.

I’ve taken to using PA as a blending tobacco lately as well. I like how it burns, and it sits well with aromatics like 1Q/Wilshire and Chartwell. It tones down the aromatics a bit, bumps up the overall nic level a bit, helps them burn a little drier and more consistently, and it greatly mitigates the weird sensation that I’m smoking a Little Debbie snack cake.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I’ve taken to using PA as a blending tobacco lately as well. I like how it burns, and it sits well with aromatics like 1Q/Wilshire and Chartwell. It tones down the aromatics a bit, bumps up the overall nic level a bit, helps them burn a little drier and more consistently, and it greatly mitigates the weird sensation that I’m smoking a Little Debbie snack cake.
I've never tried PA mixed with 1-Q but it sounds like it would work well. I'm going to give it a try.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I like PA and Carter Hall. The latter took a few bowls to grow on me, while I took to the former immediately. Protip: the stuff in tubs is better. Not sure why, but it is, and I’ve seen the same with cans of rolling tobacco versus the pouches.

PA by itself is fairly unassuming and you could even say boring. That’s part of its appeal for me, and part of the appeal is that as someone who started out smoking cigarettes, the sometimes cigarettey aspect that PA has is comforting. It’s the same reason I like Stokkebye Norwegian, Amsterdam, and Turkish—I never quite “outgrew” my taste for that sort of flavor, but now I get to pair that with a less obnoxious room note.

For full effect, you should actually snort a Little Debbie snack -- or so I've heard.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I like Granger and SWRA. SWRA is pretty sophisticated to come in pouches and tubs -- burley, Virginia as a condiment, flavored with three liqueurs. It may be a codger blend, but that's some rockin' codger.
I love SWRA ! It tastes great and is less filling! Wait! It’s Be All You Can Be with SWRA. No, it’s Join SWRA and See the World. Hmmm...no, that’s not it either. I’ve got it...The Best Part of Waking Up is SWRA in Your Cup! How about this...I like it a lot.

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
I would like to try Granger, but cannot find anywhere that sells bulk or a pouch to try. Cant see a whole tin without tasting...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
haha ok so it's not just me..
It just isn't great. I mean I won't say it's "bad" but nothing I would ever seek out again.
I just figured a few bucks for a pouch when I was buying a pipe anyways couldn't hurt.
Now I wish I'd just got a couple more OZ of Mixture 79 Bulk.

I did not like Carter Hall but I do need to retry that one as well.

I'm gonna tell you something you might not like...

For burley blends to be their best, you've gotta smoke em in a cob.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I bought a tub sometime in the early nineties. Once I threw a pouch of five brothers in it got better. When it got to the point that that there was no more PA in the tub, I started to like PA. It took about 10 pouches of five brothers to get there.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
It's funny because this is sort of how I felt about Granger. And I like (or at least don't mind) pretty much all codger burleys, but I didn't even finish the pouch of Granger.

SWR is still my favorite in the field.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.