PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
When I was a young lad, (in the 60's), a neighbor of mine would pile ALL the neighborhood kids in his Mercury Comet and take us fishing, (I think back now- it was an excuse to get away from his nagging wife and drink many cans of beer)!
He would throw his line out, crack a beer and fire up a bowl of PA.
We'd do more swimming, flipping over rocks, and at least 10 times we'd ask him if he had PA in a can..... Better let him out!
When I figured I was ," Mature Enough " to smoke a pipe, it was my first choice. The aroma peeled back the years. Was all good for maybe a year.
I enjoyed fly fishing and smoking PA.
I drifted away to other brands and a few months ago picked up a pouch.
Waded out, flipped my fly into the water,filled the bowl, fired it up and waiting to be taken back to a better time (I think).
The taste was all chemical? Like cough medicine? It was horrible. I tried a few more bowls and it never got any better.
tossed the pouch
Broke my heart! Another memory crushed on the rocks of time!
Joe

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When I was a young lad, (in the 60's), a neighbor of mine would pile ALL the neighborhood kids in his Mercury Comet and take us fishing, (I think back now- it was an excuse to get away from his nagging wife and drink many cans of beer)!
We'd do more swimming, flipping over rocks, and at least 10 times we'd ask him if he had PA in a can..... Better let him out!
When I figured I was ," Mature Enough " to smoke a pipe, it was my first choice. The aroma peeled back the years. Was all good for maybe a year.
Waded out, flipped my fly into the water,filled the bowl, fired it up and waiting to be taken back to a better time (I think).
The taste was all chemical? Like cough medicine? It was horrible. I tried a few more bowls and it never got any better.
tossed the pouch
Joe
Oh well. It was good while it lasted. ?‍♂️

Reactions: BROBS

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
tossed the pouch
Joe
I just got a sample of Sutliff Match Prince Albert. Good quality, has that slight cocoa taste at first, smokes easily, and has pretty much the same cut. It's a great match, and doesn't have that chemical taste some people (like myself) pick up from the original OTC blend. Even the strength seems spot-on (PA being a tad stronger than most of the other OTC blends). Give it a shot! I know I'll be ordering more.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had bad luck with two OTC codger blends, most of which I like. I think I bought a very stale pouch of SWR regular at a convenience store on a trip and it had no flavor. I smoked it because that was all I had, but it never perked up. Half & Half, which should be a sure bet with burley and Virginia, just managed a few good draws and then went harsh on me, and never improved through the pouch. I didn't like my first try with Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, but a second round proved good. A whole new day. Yes to Granger, Mixture No. 79, many others.

Jan 27, 2020
Their is this old guy who lives on my street who I always say hello to. When I talk to him can’t say it’s really conversation as he just tells me things without acknowledging my replies which I should fine given his age. Anyway, he stopped my girlfriend today and told her he saw me smoking a pipe etc., asked what I smoked (she told him I “collect tobacco” ha ha) and told her he use to smoke Prince Albert as a teenager... end of my story.

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
I’m a Virginia smoker by and large, but recently have been trying some burly blends, and this was the first. I chose this one first mainly because this all my papaw smoked, according to my dad, so I felt it proper to start here. I find it to be charming and warm..., of course maybe that’s just my heart thinking about papaw smoking his favorite tobacco in the 20’s-60’s. Anyways, it’s an old school, mans man blend. Gotta love it.

Reactions: BROBS

JMirus

Lurker
Dec 1, 2020
I have been trying to locate PA locally and online(sold out/Backordered) without any luck. I read several post from 2018 stating that it was rumored to be discontinued, but it seems that several of you all have got your hands on some. I am looking forward to giving it a try. Any tips or thought?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have been trying to locate PA locally and online(sold out/Backordered) without any luck. I read several post from 2018 stating that it was rumored to be discontinued, but it seems that several of you all have got your hands on some. I am looking forward to giving it a try. Any tips or thought?

It's out there. I bet PA will be one of the last blends standing. They have some at a store down the road from my house, If you really can't find any. I just bought some today.

Reactions: chopper and Jwebb90
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
@JMirus Here's some Prince Albert.. but Holy sheep shit, batman! it is out of stock all over.. I bet this is just a temporary supply issue, probably due to the plandemic.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I’ve only had it from a pouch. Didn’t care for it at the time. But ended up liking the match Prince Andrew from Hearth and Home. Been slowly working my way thru a tub when I feel like something different.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
@JMirus Here's some Prince Albert.. but Holy sheep shit, batman! it is out of stock all over.. I bet this is just a temporary supply issue, probably due to the plandemic.

Everything is out of stock right now, It's mildly distressing TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.